Archived Topic

Final Count: 10 drops vs 12 missed tackles

by mizzoucoug · 10/2/2010

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Missed tackles narrowly wins again.



Ashworth had 4 drops (1 for a TD). JJ had 3 (1 for a TD) and the rest of the unnamed stooges had the rest. Additionally, Bronco dropped his headset 2x and Hill did once, but unfortunately Anae's balls have yet to drop as most of the play-calling continues to be dinks and dunks. 8)
F
frdbtr
mizzoucoug wrote:
Missed tackles narrowly wins again.



Ashworth had 4 drops (1 for a TD). JJ had 3 (1 for a TD) and the rest of the unnamed stooges had the rest. Additionally, Bronco dropped his headset 2x and Hill did once, but unfortunately Anae's balls has yet to drop as most of the play-calling continues to be dinks and dunks. 8)


Ashworth needs to be benched. His only redeeming quality was his hands and they are failing him this year. He is absolutely horrible. They need to play Chambers in his place when Chambers gets back, he needs to not see the field again this year.
C
CougarPeasant
mizzoucoug wrote:
Missed tackles narrowly wins again.



Ashworth had 4 drops (1 for a TD). JJ had 3 (1 for a TD) and the rest of the unnamed stooges had the rest. Additionally, Bronco dropped his headset 2x and Hill did once, but unfortunately Anae's balls has yet to drop as most of the play-calling continues to be dinks and dunks. 8)


That was per half right? RIGHT?!!!!



It sure seemed like it. I counted 4 missed tackles just on that long KO return by the USU return guy.
M
mizzoucoug
CougarPeasant wrote:
Missed tackles narrowly wins again.



Ashworth had 4 drops (1 for a TD). JJ had 3 (1 for a TD) and the rest of the unnamed stooges had the rest. Additionally, Bronco dropped his headset 2x and Hill did once, but unfortunately Anae's balls has yet to drop as most of the play-calling continues to be dinks and dunks. 8)


That was per half right? RIGHT?!!!!



It sure seemed like it. I counted 4 missed tackles just on that long KO return by the USU return guy.


Well I only counted the instances where guys had clear shots and got hands on the ball handler but simply missed. I don't think it's fair to count guys who are simply in the vicinity--but you're probably right that there were more. I was being kind.
R
runbyu1
I never thought I would be absolutely pumped to see Chambers coming back...wow
Advertisement
I
Italics
runbyu1 wrote:
I never thought I would be absolutely pumped to see Chambers coming back...wow


You should be. Chambers may drop some of the long balls now and then, but he is usually pretty consistent with catching short to mid-ranged passes, as well as adjusting to catch poorly thrown balls.
R
runbyu1
Totally agreed. That's why I'm excited to have him back!
A
ABYUFAN
now we see why Pitta and George had so many balls thrown their way last year...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
ABYUFAN wrote:
now we see why Pitta and George had so many balls thrown their way last year...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Very good point! We all moaned last season that Hall was playing favorites. Hall's options were:

1) Try to thread a ball through three defenders to the guys that have fly traps for hands; or

2) Put the ball right on the money to a receiver that drops passes 40 percent of the time.



I'd pick option 1, especially on 3rd down.
T
tripwire
The dropped passes have been by far the most frustrating thing about this year. Who knows where we would be if our receivers could catch the damn ball. Some have said that it wouldn't matter because so many of them were short passes. Two points about that.

-Dropping a one or two yard pass is inexcusable, those are the easy ones.

-Who knows what could have happened on those plays if they had caught the ball, no doubt some could have been tackled for minimum gain but probably not all of them. The short pass has always been part of the BYU offense. Gaining 3 or 4 yards on first and second down makes a 3rd and 2 or 3 instead of a 3rd and 10. One of the reasons BYU led the nation on 3rd down conversions last year was so many of them were 3rd and short.
Advertisement
C
cachevalleycougar
Yeah - I don't know what Ashworth's problem is this year. I've always been impressed with his ability to make the tough catch, but this year he can't catch anything. He doesn't seem to have his head in it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.