Archived Topic

SDSU gets a bye before facing us

by frdbtr · 9/30/2010

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I hadn't known this before but I just read that SDSU is on a bye week this week. Well, I am all but giving that game to them now. Rocky Long with an extra week to face a freshman QB is a losing proposition every time. I hate to be a black rain cloud today but IMO we are going to be 2-5 after the next 3 weeks.
J
jonnylingo
Yeah, this killed me too. Ridiculous how are schedule was set up this year. The cards were seriously stacked against us. right now we have our hands full and they are preparing for us already. they have all the motivation and extra time to beat us. just glad its in provo this year. i don' think they are better than washington. they may be better coached though. i am not impressed with sark as a head coach at all.
A
ABYUFAN
Like they say, "In the end the pessimist may be right, but the optimist had a better time getting there." Enjoy your worrying, there's always plenty more where that came from.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
I think SDSU will pressure us for sure. Hopefully, this game prep will really make Jake focus on getting the ball out quick--which will benefit him. In a way, I think this game will really help him improve because of how SDSU will attack. I look forward to seeing it. And I still think we win.
P
ProV1
SDSU get a bye before losing to us
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
hopefully they will be rusty from the week off. Bleh! This does not bode well...
C
CannonCougar85
Yeah but Rocky Long is facing Bronco Mendenhall. It's the Master vs the Student. Bronco knows what's coming out of SDSU which means the offense will be prepared for it.
F
frdbtr
CannonCougar85 wrote:
Yeah but Rocky Long is facing Bronco Mendenhall. It's the Master vs the Student. Bronco knows what's coming out of SDSU which means the offense will be prepared for it.


Other then the fact that last year after getting a bye the week before us, they put a scare into us that everyone complained about all week and that was a veteran team. This year we have a young team and they get an extra week to prepare for us again. I just don't see anything good in this. I am now expecting a loss against them.
C
CougarPeasant
frdbtr wrote:
Yeah but Rocky Long is facing Bronco Mendenhall. It's the Master vs the Student. Bronco knows what's coming out of SDSU which means the offense will be prepared for it.


Other then the fact that last year after getting a bye the week before us, they put a scare into us that everyone complained about all week and that was a veteran team. This year we have a young team and they get an extra week to prepare for us again. I just don't see anything good in this. I am now expecting a loss against them.


SDSU just might crack the top 3 in the MWC this season. I am certain they would finish no lower than 2d in the WAC this year.



First, I want to see our team cruise past USU. Then I want to see them earn a win over SDSU.



SDSU has talent Rocky could only dream of getting at UNM. He's now has the talent and the skill to put together a superb defense. Getting an extra week to prepare will make them that much tougher to beat, even in our own house.
C
Cougarfan87
If our offense starts clicking against Utah State, I won't be worried about SDSU at home. I think the last loss at home left a bad taste in our mouth and I know Bronco can't stand losing at home.



If our offense doesn't put it together against Utah State, then I have a feeling we will be very :blush: the next few weeks.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Every season there's going to be a team that gets a bye before they play us just like we get a bye before we play UNLV. It happens. If one week empowers a team to excell over your team, you have big problems. BYU beat #15th ranked TCU in 2006 on a short week (Thursday game) in Ft Worth and TCU coming off a bye. You always would like a bye preceeding a big opponent, but most games are won on talent.
F
frdbtr
EM_Puma wrote:
Every season there's going to be a team that gets a bye before they play us just like we get a bye before we play UNLV. It happens. If one week empowers a team to excell over your team, you have big problems. BYU beat #15th ranked TCU in 2006 on a short week (Thursday game) in Ft Worth and TCU coming off a bye. You always would like a bye preceeding a big opponent, but most games are won on talent.


You are right, everyone gets a bye during the season. Some coaches do more with it then others. Rocky Long's record after bye weeks at NM was nearly unbelievable. He didn't lose many of those games if any. I don't have the statistics in front of me though so I can't verify if he never lost one.
B
Brayden Green
I wish Rocky would've come here to BYU. I know it never had snowball's chance, but i respect the high heck out of the guy. It all depends on what we do on defense. Just like the Oklahoma game, all we need to do is score more points against their defense, than they do against ours. I think we will be ready. I'm not worried about this game if we win USU. If we lose USU, color me VERY worried.
B
byucougar1
We will be lucky to stay close with SDSU at home this year - even if SDSU didn't have a bye. SDSU will be in the top 4 MWC this year (#5 TCU, #27 AFA - not sure about #14 UT as they haven't played anyone yet).



SDSU barely lost at MO (24-27), and they are now 4-0. The winning TD came on a 68-yard pass with 51 seconds left in the game. Their WR turned a short sideline pass into a touchdown with a stutter step that caused two Aztecs defenders to collide near midfield. If the players don't collide, SDSU wins the game. BTW - their Rocky Long led defense held MO to just 89 yards rushing and they had a freshman RB, Ronnie Hillman, who ran for 235 yards and touchdowns covering 75 and 93 yards.
A
ABYUFAN
byucougar1 wrote:
We will be lucky to stay close with SDSU at home this year - even if SDSU didn't have a bye. SDSU will be in the top 4 MWC this year (#5 TCU, #27 AFA - not sure about #14 UT as they haven't played anyone yet).



SDSU barely lost at MO (24-27), and they are now 4-0. The winning TD came on a 68-yard pass with 51 seconds left in the game. Their WR turned a short sideline pass into a touchdown with a stutter step that caused two Aztecs defenders to collide near midfield. If the players don't collide, SDSU wins the game. BTW - their Rocky Long led defense held MO to just 89 yards rushing and they had a freshman RB, Ronnie Hillman, who ran for 235 yards and touchdowns covering 75 and 93 yards.

Once again...worry all you want, but if you're choosig to worry about SDSU on a week that we don't play them, then you'll have quite a bit more where that came from.... :skeptic:
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I wish Rocky would've come here to BYU. I know it never had snowball's chance, but i respect the high heck out of the guy. It all depends on what we do on defense. Just like the Oklahoma game, all we need to do is score more points against their defense, than they do against ours. I think we will be ready. I'm not worried about this game if we win USU. If we lose USU, color me VERY worried.


Technically, we only have to score more points, and it does not necessarily have to be our offense against their defense (eg pick sixes).

;)



I agree. If we beat USU, I'm less worried about this game with the caveat that when we beat USU it is because our offense is clicking and our defense is playing well.
M
Mars


This bye is nothing. It's the other 2 byes SDSU has before playing BYU, in men's basketball, that really bother me. One of those is before their home game against us on CBS. That gives their crazy fans two weeks to prepare their insult posters and crazy costumes (missionaries, etc) for National TV.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.