Archived Topic

I'll be honest, this worries me

by jonnylingo · 9/29/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=6002939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


"I [my team] have been preparing for BYU since we played them last year. We have to beat them. We have to beat an instate school to establish legitimacy in this state and in the areas we recruit in. We don't play Utah this year, and we knew that a year ago. It's BYU, and we have to beat them. My coaches and players have had this game circled for 365 days. We know BYU very well."


guy at rumor board said he heard this at some media days. so of course given source may not be true but it makes all the sense i the world.



any team can beat a team if they prep for them for a whole year. This team has this game circled as more than just an important win, its about recruiting and the future of their program. its huge to them. they will play prepared and they will play up. we have to step it up.



why is it that byu is everybody's superbowl this year. air force, now utah state, sdsu. our schedule this year was a perfect storm for a bad record. its like the stars just aligned to make it as difficult as possible for our team.



wow, lets go cougars! Show utah state that they can't beat us even at our worst! I still feel confident about this game. they have lost 11 starters so even if they are prepared its going to be hard for them to win.
C
CaptainCoug
I think Utah State is too depleted to beat us. They will play hard though.



BYU will win by 21.
N
northerncougar
This is a major part of the reason why I think we lose on Friday.
M
MJCOUGAR
northerncougar wrote:
This is a major part of the reason why I think we lose on Friday.

Man, your down on the team this year. Utah state will lose, they will play hard, they might keep it close for a while but its our break-out game. Things look bad, I know, but not losing to utah state bad - chin up my friend, chin-up. 8)
L
Lawboy
Only way USU beats us is if Borel has a career day passing. USU has some decent skill guys, but injuries have hurt them, and their D is not great. Of course, Nevada's D was not great either and we hung 13 on them at home, so...the offense has to improve.



As Bronco said this week, we need to score 30 a week to win. From here on out.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Utah St. is a pretty good team. Solid. The stretched to Oklahoma Sooners pretty good. Our injuries worry me. Our "re-building" worries me. Getting our QB situation sorted out - that means getting Jake comfortable w/ our program & the speed of the D1 game - is a work in progress. That worries me.



That said - I think the game will be a dog fight. I think the Cougs prevail & get the "W." Not pretty, but hopefully some bright spots offensively & defensively. Mostly - I really want to see the Offense come together & work cohesively. We need production out of out Tight Ends!!!!!

8)
N
northerncougar
MJCOUGAR wrote:
This is a major part of the reason why I think we lose on Friday.

Man, your down on the team this year. Utah state will lose, they will play hard, they might keep it close for a while but its our break-out game. Things look bad, I know, but not losing to utah state bad - chin up my friend, chin-up. 8)


We lost our best D Lineman, we scored 13 points against a poor defense at home, we are playing on the road against a team that wants to beat us more than anything else, our offense looks completely inept right now.



Yes, I am down on the team and am very worried about Friday night.
C
CAFB_04-12
northerncougar wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
This is a major part of the reason why I think we lose on Friday.

Man, your down on the team this year. Utah state will lose, they will play hard, they might keep it close for a while but its our break-out game. Things look bad, I know, but not losing to utah state bad - chin up my friend, chin-up. 8)


We lost our best D Lineman, we scored 13 points against a poor defense at home, we are playing on the road against a team that wants to beat us more than anything else, our offense looks completely inept right now.



Yes, I am down on the team and am very worried about Friday night.

Hey, I'm sure George Washington felt the same way on Christmas Eve 1776.

:crazy:
N
northerncougar
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
MJCOUGAR wrote:
This is a major part of the reason why I think we lose on Friday.

Man, your down on the team this year. Utah state will lose, they will play hard, they might keep it close for a while but its our break-out game. Things look bad, I know, but not losing to utah state bad - chin up my friend, chin-up. 8)


We lost our best D Lineman, we scored 13 points against a poor defense at home, we are playing on the road against a team that wants to beat us more than anything else, our offense looks completely inept right now.



Yes, I am down on the team and am very worried about Friday night.

Hey, I'm sure George Washington felt the same way on Christmas Eve 1776.

:crazy:


Okay, that was awesome!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=6002939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legitimate concern. They sure looked last week against SDSU like they were looking ahead one week to BYU. Just like how Oklahoma looked against USU like they were looking ahead to Florida State. And Air Force looked against Wyoming like they were looking ahead to Navy.
Advertisement
I
Italics
Yewtah State seriously think this establishes them in the Utah recruiting pool if they win? Beating BYU in one of their worst seasons of the decade (and that's saying a lot) and in Logan? Gee, and I guess I should feel like a legitimate NBA star if I can beat Michael Jordan in 1on1 after he turns 80...
C
crh55
We've seen this before, TCU spends their whole year preparing for us. It is quite the compliment, and they are probably taking several other preparation notes from the Gary Patterson handbook for A-holes. The only difference is that prepare all they like, they are still Utah State and are 1-3 against a much weaker schedule.
I
imuakahuku
Boy am I worried. Another team is so up to play BYU and wants soooo badly to beat us. Ummm...this describes just about every team BYU playes every year. BYU is usually about as close to a bowl game as many teams will get. And they have been planning for this game for nearly a year? I guess thats why they suck so bad. All they can think about is playing BYU. I wonder if they sent a scout to WA to scout Jake his senior year. I find it absolutely rediculous to state that we have been planning this game since last years game. It is totally laughable and absolutely disengenious. How much planning can you do when you still have over 2/3rds of the season to play? Or when you don't even know what the makeup of the team is going to be? If that statement makes you worried then you need to ponder it a little more and see it for what it is. Pure huewy!!! Just think, if you were the HC for USU what game stands out more than any on your schedule this year? Which game could become a statement game for your program? @OK or BYU @ USU? As I said it is poppycock!



I will be monumentally surprised if the game is even remotely close in the 4th let alone us losing the game. It may take 3 quarters to get seperation but I think we are going to win by at least 21. Bronco is one of the top Coaches for a reason. He will have this team hungry and believing scratch that; hungry and expecting to win come Friday. Jake and his WR's are working the kinks out and getting the timing down. JJ and Juice should have some really nice runs along with some nice up the middle runs by Kariya. That is what I believe we are going to see Friday night. Your opinion may differ but I am not convinced that USU has what it takes to beat BYU, especially after three straight losses by our team.
F
Florwood
Mars wrote:
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=6002939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legitimate concern. They sure looked last week against SDSU like they were looking ahead one week to BYU. Just like how Oklahoma looked against USU like they were looking ahead to Florida State. And Air Force looked against Wyoming like they were looking ahead to Navy.


Or AF was still looking back at BYU. One concern I have is that AF will be so happy they beat BYU that they'll coast the rest of the year and look awful...
M
Mars
imuakahuku wrote:
I am not convinced that USU has what it takes to beat BYU, especially after three straight losses by our team.

I agree, but at the same time I am not convinced that BYU has what it takes to beat USU, especially after three losses by their team.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Mars wrote:
I am not convinced that USU has what it takes to beat BYU, especially after three straight losses by our team.

I agree, but at the same time I am not convinced that BYU has what it takes to beat USU, especially after three losses by their team.


Bingo. BYU will have to really pull together to win this game. We have lots of talent - with lots of injuries - and lots of youth. We need to raise the bar & execute on both sides of the ball. We will be stretched & pushed. Even w/ Max Hall & Pitta USU made us work.
B
BYULV
Ddawg wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
I am not convinced that USU has what it takes to beat BYU, especially after three straight losses by our team.

I agree, but at the same time I am not convinced that BYU has what it takes to beat USU, especially after three losses by their team.


Bingo. BYU will have to really pull together to win this game. We have lots of talent - with lots of injuries - and lots of youth. We need to raise the bar & execute on both sides of the ball. We will be stretched & pushed. Even w/ Max Hall & Pitta USU made us work.


Actually two years ago we kicked their tails from the first snap and it was starting to look ugly when our guys decided to take the rest of the game off and limp to victory.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
I think Utah State needs to worry about getting established in the gene pool before they even think about making waves in the recruiting pool.
C
Cougarbib
Although I am getting old and senile - I vaguely remember playing USU, probably in Logan, in a game we were supposed to dominate - seeing Steve Young knocked out of the game with a concussion and Gordon Hudson getting a career ending injury. We might have even list the game. A little fuzzy - but you get the idea. Make sure the OL and backs protect heaps. Not necessarily dirty hits - but hard and overzealous hits.



Knock on wood



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
snoscythe wrote:
I think Utah State needs to worry about getting established in the gene pool before they even think about making waves in the recruiting pool.


Bam!!! Ha-ha-ha!! Nice slam.

:lol:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.