Archived Topic

Tre'von "the choker" Willis suspended for 2+1 games

by CougarClaw · 9/29/2010

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Willis must pay a fine ($340), does 100 hours community service, and goes to counseling. misses 2 exhibition warm-up "games" and their season opener.



Given that the charges were reduced, this seems like a fitting punishment to me. I don't see it happening again, but if it does, they should throw the book at him.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5627231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
snoscythe
Do they even have books at UNLV?
S
scott715
They can borrow one from that preacher that was going to burn them. Maybe that would knock some sense into him.
A
ABYUFAN
CougarClaw wrote:
Willis must pay a fine ($340), does 100 hours community service, and goes to counseling. misses 2 exhibition warm-up "games" and their season opener.



Given that the charges were reduced, this seems like a fitting punishment to me. I don't see it happening again, but if it does, they should throw the book at him.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5627231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I disagree.



Had he choked a guy on the basketball court, he'd have a stiffer suspension; but, because it was a woman, away from the court, the school goes easier on him? :bug:



Wouldn't you say that the situation of choking the guy on the court has more protection from things going wrong than does the situation involving the woman away from the court? But even with the greater potential for harm, we give him a lighter sentance because of a plea deal, not the actual conduct? :roll: :skeptic:
M
Mars


Hopefully he chokes @ BYU too... :whistle:
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
ABYUFAN wrote:
Willis must pay a fine ($340), does 100 hours community service, and goes to counseling. misses 2 exhibition warm-up "games" and their season opener.



Given that the charges were reduced, this seems like a fitting punishment to me. I don't see it happening again, but if it does, they should throw the book at him.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5627231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I disagree.



Had he choked a guy on the basketball court, he'd have a stiffer suspension; but, because it was a woman, away from the court, the school goes easier on him? :bug:



Wouldn't you say that the situation of choking the guy on the court has more protection from things going wrong than does the situation involving the woman away from the court? But even with the greater potential for harm, we give him a lighter sentance because of a plea deal, not the actual conduct? :roll: :skeptic:


So is throwing him off the team going to protect more women in the future? Or protect more basketball players? He's a 20-year old kid who very nearly lost his basketball future on a stupid irrational stunt he won't soon forget. And he did receive both a judicial and school punishment for what he did. And I think it's also important to remember that justice is not about punishment as much as it is about reform and deterrent. I think he got both.



it's still a misdemeanor and even though that's still a large break from a felony, he's a first time offender. That means he is included in the criminal ranks of Graffiti Artist Sam, Mary "it's-not-mine" Jane, and Samuel "the-drunk"Adams who won't stop singing on the street corner.



If he does it again, I doubt he'll get the same treatment and I think second chances are appropriate.
B
BYULV
I would be more satisfied had he pled "guilty" to the reduced charges instead of " No contest". Seems to me he is just trying to get off as easily as possible without actually taking responsibility.



Also, this was not just some silly stunt by an immature "20 year old", this was choking another human being. How often do any of you or anyone you know choke someone else or come close to it? I think it should be taken more seriously.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
BYULV wrote:
I would be more satisfied had he pled "guilty" to the reduced charges instead of " No contest". Seems to me he is just trying to get off as easily as possible without actually taking responsibility.



Also, this was not just some silly stunt by an immature "20 year old", this was choking another human being. How often do any of you or anyone you know choke someone else or come close to it? I think it should be taken more seriously.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agree with you on this. Willis got himself a good lawyer. He'll just be more careful about not getting caught next time.
A
ABYUFAN
CougarClaw wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
Willis must pay a fine ($340), does 100 hours community service, and goes to counseling. misses 2 exhibition warm-up "games" and their season opener.



Given that the charges were reduced, this seems like a fitting punishment to me. I don't see it happening again, but if it does, they should throw the book at him.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5627231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I disagree.



Had he choked a guy on the basketball court, he'd have a stiffer suspension; but, because it was a woman, away from the court, the school goes easier on him? :bug:



Wouldn't you say that the situation of choking the guy on the court has more protection from things going wrong than does the situation involving the woman away from the court? But even with the greater potential for harm, we give him a lighter sentance because of a plea deal, not the actual conduct? :roll: :skeptic:


So is throwing him off the team going to protect more women in the future? Or protect more basketball players? He's a 20-year old kid who very nearly lost his basketball future on a stupid irrational stunt he won't soon forget. And he did receive both a judicial and school punishment for what he did. And I think it's also important to remember that justice is not about punishment as much as it is about reform and deterrent. I think he got both.



it's still a misdemeanor and even though that's still a large break from a felony, he's a first time offender. That means he is included in the criminal ranks of Graffiti Artist Sam, Mary "it's-not-mine" Jane, and Samuel "the-drunk"Adams who won't stop singing on the street corner.



If he does it again, I doubt he'll get the same treatment and I think second chances are appropriate.


First I didn't advocate throwing him off of the team; only making his punishment fit the punishment of one who had done this on the court.



Second, I disagree with you assessment of what justice is. With juvinile defendants, it is about reform and deterrance; with big boys it is about punishment. And the punishment itself should be a deterrant. But even if it is about deterrant, how does this deter other athletes from doing the same thing? It doesn't. 2 preseason games and one warm up game is supposed to deter someone form throttling his girlfriend? c'mon....



And last, i understand that it's a misdemeanor, but what i was saying let the punishment fit the actions, not what the DA chose to do. DA's drop charges all the time because witnesses will not cooperate.
T
tmoney35
ABYUFAN wrote:
Had he choked a guy on the basketball court, he'd have a stiffer suspension; but, because it was a woman, away from the court, the school goes easier on him? :bug:


This is a great point. At the very LEAST, he would've been suspended the whole year, but probably suspended for good (is he a senior, because that would make multi-year suspension a moot point).



The guy choked a woman, could've easily killed her, and he gets a slap on the wrist. BYU-haters can say all they want about how much class our organization has, but if Willis were a Cougar, he would've been off the team WAY before the official court ruling even came out.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
I'm disgusted by how easy he got off. UNLV athletic department should be ashamed.
G
Gunk
craigoscarson wrote:
I'm disgusted by how easy he got off. UNLV athletic department should be ashamed.


Are you surprised though? I'm not. This is the same coach that sought out JT to talk trash to him after a game.
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
I'm disgusted by how easy he got off. UNLV athletic department should be ashamed.


Are you surprised though? I'm not. This is the same coach that sought out JT to talk trash to him after a game.

No, that was Alford at New Mexico.
G
Gunk
kitic77 wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
I'm disgusted by how easy he got off. UNLV athletic department should be ashamed.


Are you surprised though? I'm not. This is the same coach that sought out JT to talk trash to him after a game.

No, that was Alford at New Mexico.


My bad...he's a douche too. :)
B
BYULV
Actually the only classy thing about UNLV the past few years has been coach Kruger. Unfortunately, this incident brings him down a few notches in my eyes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.