Archived Topic

Monday Morning Quarterback: BYU style

by Y12 · 9/27/2010

Advertisement
Y
Y12
"It’s time for a little Monday Morning Quarterback, Brigham Young Cougars edition. This MMQB likes to stretch the field, so we won’t just look back at last Saturday’s game. Let’s go long, real long, and break down the past week." (QB news, Coaching criticism, Chambers Suspension, WVU game, and the actual game that was played)



http://byufootballtalk.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-wild-week-for-brigham-young-cougars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
Brayden Green
Nicely done.
B
bball
I was disappointed in the coaching and play calling late in the fourth quarter. BYU could still win, but our play calling seemed to say, "we can't do that, so we'll just run one up the gut, then kick a field goal." I really hated that play calling. Then, after the FG, no onside kick? you're going to give the ball back to an offense we really didn't stop all game, and can eat up 5-8 minutes on a drive, run out the clock, win the game, and BYU never see the ball again? Man, I really hated that. You have to at least try, don't you? I think the coaches packed it in, and were getting ready for Utah State, the players didn't, but the offensive coaches did.
R
runbyu1
bball wrote:
I was disappointed in the coaching and play calling late in the fourth quarter. BYU could still win, but our play calling seemed to say, "we can't do that, so we'll just run one up the gut, then kick a field goal." I really hated that play calling. Then, after the FG, no onside kick? you're going to give the ball back to an offense we really didn't stop all game, and can eat up 5-8 minutes on a drive, run out the clock, win the game, and BYU never see the ball again? Man, I really hated that. You have to at least try, don't you? I think the coaches packed it in, and were getting ready for Utah State, the players didn't, but the offensive coaches did.


This is exactly why I left a BYU game early for the first time ever.
G
Gunk
runbyu1 wrote:
I was disappointed in the coaching and play calling late in the fourth quarter. BYU could still win, but our play calling seemed to say, "we can't do that, so we'll just run one up the gut, then kick a field goal." I really hated that play calling. Then, after the FG, no onside kick? you're going to give the ball back to an offense we really didn't stop all game, and can eat up 5-8 minutes on a drive, run out the clock, win the game, and BYU never see the ball again? Man, I really hated that. You have to at least try, don't you? I think the coaches packed it in, and were getting ready for Utah State, the players didn't, but the offensive coaches did.


This is exactly why I left a BYU game early for the first time ever.



:bug:



Careful, that's blasphemy around these parts.
Advertisement
Y
Y12
bball wrote:
I was disappointed in the coaching and play calling late in the fourth quarter. BYU could still win, but our play calling seemed to say, "we can't do that, so we'll just run one up the gut, then kick a field goal." I really hated that play calling. Then, after the FG, no onside kick? you're going to give the ball back to an offense we really didn't stop all game, and can eat up 5-8 minutes on a drive, run out the clock, win the game, and BYU never see the ball again? Man, I really hated that. You have to at least try, don't you? I think the coaches packed it in, and were getting ready for Utah State, the players didn't, but the offensive coaches did.


After the 1980 Holiday Bowl, how can anyone associated with BYU ever think that a comeback is not possible?



I, too, get frustrated sometimes seeing a lack of belief sometimes that winning the game can't happen.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.