Archived Topic

Who heard Bronco Thank the Fans

by jonnylingo · 9/27/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
He went out of his way at the end of his post game interview to say thanks to all the fans who came out to the game.



Little out of character. Thought that was cool.
B
Brayden Green
I didn't hear the postgame. That is very cool, and very out of character. I like it.
L
Lawboy
I stayed to the bitter end too. Always bugs me when so called fans are more worried about beating traffic than getting behind the team, even late when down. If you got kids to get to bed, ok, free pass. Otherwise, stay and cheer. You gotta show you are behind the team good times and bad.



The fans love Bronco, and it is nice when he gives some back.
J
jonnylingo
I was annoyed when people were leaving int he 4th with 11 minutes left.



I think my yelling however made the two people next to me leave at half time. Whoops.
G
Guest
I've never left a game before the clock hits zero, even if that means sitting through shut outs in blizzards, or embarrassing lopsided loses in bitter bitter cold. BYU is my team and I'll be there rain or shine.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
I've never left a game before the clock hits zero, even if that means sitting through shut outs in blizzards, or embarrassing lopsided loses in bitter bitter cold. BYU is my team and I'll be there rain or shine.


Ditto. Good on ya!
R
runbyu1
hawkwing wrote:
I've never left a game before the clock hits zero, even if that means sitting through shut outs in blizzards, or embarrassing lopsided loses in bitter bitter cold. BYU is my team and I'll be there rain or shine.


I've never left a game early before until Saturday. When the coaches playcalling QUIT on the team and gave up the ability to comeback, I gave up too.
C
CannonCougar85
I heard his comments too and was going to post something similar. Bronco thanked the fans for coming and thanked those fans that stayed til the end. He thanked the fans on behalf of the coaching staff and the players. Classy move by Bronco.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
Always bugs me when so called fans are more worried about beating traffic than getting behind the team, even late when down.


Actually, on days like Saturday, the way to beat the traffic is to stay til the end! Got outta there a lot faster than normal.



I personally don't choose to do so, but I have no problem with fans who choose to leave early. if the team is stinking up the joint, they are entitled to leave. There are very, very few ways that fans can send a message to the team/coaches. We can boo, we can leave early when they are getting their butts kicked, and we can stop showing up to the games.



of all of these, leaving early is the least damaging IMO.
C
CAFB_04-12
I was surprised to hear it considering the crowd wasn't too pleased with his decision to kick a field goal in the 4th. Maybe he's trying to throw our some good will, knowing that if the team loses there are people out there who won't go to the games.



Or perhaps he was just pleased that this many fans came to the game to watch a 1-2 BYU.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Bronco was around for the last Crowton year and saw how bad it got then. He knows if things get ugly, 55k or less is possibility. Most fans are bandwagon jumpers, not diehards. And even some diehards could not stomach the last Crowton year. Butts in seats helps the whole AD, and big picture, Bronco understands that. I think he is more relaxed and open this year than any past year.
C
Cougarbib
Maybe he was just being sincere and meant every word of it. I heard the remarks on KSL on the Internet. He thanked fans for coming and for staying. So, those wo you who came and stayed know who you are and Bronco and the team appreciated it.



I continue to be astounded by the Whats In It For Me Crowd on this board who are willing to abandon their team and "send them a message" when they are not playing up to their expectation. DO U really think the players and coaches don't realize that things are not going well right now. DO U think a player doesn't know that he missed a tackle or was out of position or is slow. Do U really think u help a player that is slower than his opponent, but has been asked to step up, be in position, rely on his teammates to be in their position and all execute - to boo him for being slow. Hopefully these guys can find something to play for other than fan support - cuz they are not getting enough of that.



That is not how programs are built. This is a young team. Imagine, if instead, the young team knew that their fans were behind them no matter what and that when they were trying to pull three rabbits out of 1 hat late in the 4th quarter, the stands were packed and the crowd was booming instead of booing and rushing to the exits. Too many BYU fans are like Anaheim Angels fans - leaving for the exit even when the team is winning - wanting to be fashionable and be able to say they were there - but come late and leave early even when winning.



Might a little more fan support generate motivation and confidence and help inexperienced players learn what it is to reach down and find more than they ever knew was there.



Just sayin



Now I wasn't there and thus did not stay even though I hold 4 season seats and have held season seats consecutively since about 1980 or so even though I have never lived in Utah during that time. My kids, nephews, nieces, and siblings have enjoyed many free seats - which many of them could not otherwise afford.



I continued my drive from So. Cal to the Miami game even after my son fell asleep and ran the car off the road at 80 MPH - nursing the car that was badly dripping oil from the damaged oil pan all the way from southern Utah to Provo and leaving a huge pool of oil in the Deseret Towers parking lot as the car sat during the game. Then I nursed it back to So. Cal the next morning.



I sat through the FSU debacle to the last drop last year.



I live in Hawaii - it is hard to get to Provo - I am coming Friday - cuz USU is a cross roads game. I don't even know if I can get tickets - but I am coming.



I watched the Miracle Bowl from about 11:30PM to 3:330AM on some tape-delayed obsucre station broadcast in the early 80s when I lived in Chicago. I watched till the very end, not having any idea what the outcome was. I got so excited, I called my friend in Utah as the game ended - forgetting I was on delayed broadcast. His wife answered - HehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhLooooooooooooooooooooooow. Well u get the idea. But that was one of many times, when the team had been playing poorly, that I was well rewarded for hanging in to the end.



Support this team. They need us.



Go Cougs
S
Schmoe
Bronco's the man. The players deserve and need our support. Go Cougs!!
S
SpiffCoug
I left early. I had tickets for the RSL game and I don't feel bad for leaving.
C
Cougarbib
Kittic



I don't have any criticism for anyone leaving due to a need to be somewhere else. So would u have left early if we were down by 2 points and got the pick.



Not being in SLC, I don't follow RSL. Did they play to your expectations?



I have just noticed that whether it was the Yankees when I was a kid, or Dodgers / Angels / Rams / Raiders /Lakers / Clippers when I lived in LA or the Bears / Cubs / Sox / Bulls when I lived in Chicago or the Warriors here in Honolulu - they all have their ups and downs - especially Cubs and Angels - but I digress. Did I mention the Niners? Them too.



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Kittic



I don't have any criticism for anyone leaving due to a need to be somewhere else. So would u have left early if we were down by 2 points and got the pick.



Not being in SLC, I don't follow RSL. Did they play to your expectations?



I have just noticed that whether it was the Yankees when I was a kid, or Dodgers / Angels / Rams / Raiders /Lakers / Clippers when I lived in LA or the Bears / Cubs / Sox / Bulls when I lived in Chicago or the Warriors here in Honolulu - they all have their ups and downs - especially Cubs and Angels - but I digress. Did I mention the Niners? Them too.



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Nope, I left middle of the third quarter when I was fairly certain we weren't going to win. RSL was playing Colorado - our big rival - with a chance to lock up a playoff berth. So there was more on the line for RSL. In all honesty, the RSL was much more exciting. If the BYU game had been close, I don't think I would have left. But I didn't think we were going to win that game after the first quarter.
C
CAFB_04-12
Right on Cougarbib.
T
tripwire
I have a general policy to never leave sporting events early. The only times I have made exceptions is when I had to leave because my kids couldn't handle it anymore.

My thinking it that I came to see the game. I paid a lot of money to see the whole game, not just see who wins. If I just wanted to see who wins I could stay home. So why leave the game just because I now know the likely outcome?

Those of you fans who live in Utah should count yourselves fortunate, many of us rarely get to see our team play in person.

I have seen 2 games in person in the last 4 seasons. The opening game against Arizona in 2007, and the FSU game this year.
M
Mars
33311710 wrote:
I personally don't choose to do so, but I have no problem with fans who choose to leave early.

I do.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.