Archived Topic

Cody Hoffman

by BigCougsFan · 9/26/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
I've heard nothing but awesome things about him during spring/fall camp.



Yesterday... I saw him and Jake click in the 4th qtr! He's a talented freshman that will be a great threat to stretch the field.



He caught four passes for 74 yards, averaging 18.5 yards a catch. I know as time goes one... Other teams will cover him better, but he made three important catches right in a row in the fourth qtr. He stepped it up, and took charge when the ball came his way... Sacrificing his body on one.



I cannot wait to see more of this guy as he perfects his route running, and how to push off a defender.
B
byutx
Heaps and Apo have a tight bond. Even though Apo had a hard time picking up the offense during fall camp, he definitely would have been another go-to guy. Him being out is yet another major contributing factor to our general offensive impotence.
Q
QuarterbackU
It was slightly encouraging but it was garbage time and Nevada was just preventing the deep ball.
M
Mars
byutx wrote:
Heaps and Apo have a tight bond. Even though Apo had a hard time picking up the offense during fall camp, he definitely would have been another go-to guy. Him being out is yet another major contributing factor to our general offensive impotence.

Cody Hoffman: 8 Receptions, 83 Yards, 2 TDs in Fall camp

Ross Apo: 8 Receptions, 112 Yards, 3 TDs in Fall camp



Getting OC back will help the offense. But getting RA back will help more.
I
Italics
I still don't understand why Apo isn't playing this year. Apparently Bronco overestimated our more experienced receivers.
Advertisement
K
kjjson
Italics wrote:
I still don't understand why Apo isn't playing this year. Apparently Bronco overestimated our more experienced receivers.

He is still out from the injury he had, I believe he had surgery on his hand.
J
jonnylingo
for all the hype apo has not lived up to it. he seems to need time mentally to pick up the offense.
B
Brayden Green
Apo had suregery, and will probably be out for the season, if BYU can secure an Injury Redshirt for him.



He is expected to be out another 4 weeks, unless we embellish the setbacks of coming back to ensure he doesn't come back this year.



If we need him badly, he will play 3/4 way through the season.
M
MJCOUGAR
I hope they redshirt Apo and don't burn a year on this rebuilding team.
B
BigCougsFan
jonnylingo wrote:
for all the hype apo has not lived up to it. he seems to need time mentally to pick up the offense.


Are you serious??? Didn't he have shoulder surgery coming out of H.S.??? So he couldn't practice 100% in spring ball. He did very well in fall, IMO.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
BigCougsFan wrote:
for all the hype apo has not lived up to it. he seems to need time mentally to pick up the offense.


Are you serious??? Didn't he have shoulder surgery coming out of H.S.??? So he couldn't practice 100% in spring ball. He did very well in fall, IMO.


Yeah, shoulder surgery out of HS and finger surgery now. Good to see he is getting everything out of the way, and will be a scary good contributor for us in the future. He is a very gifted receiver and we are lucky to have him.



AND BACK TO THE OP:



Hoffman is a fabulous receiver and belongs in the two deep, ahead of Luke "sticky hands" Ashworth, and OC.
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
for all the hype apo has not lived up to it. he seems to need time mentally to pick up the offense.


Are you serious??? Didn't he have shoulder surgery coming out of H.S.??? So he couldn't practice 100% in spring ball. He did very well in fall, IMO.


Yeah, shoulder surgery out of HS and finger surgery now. Good to see he is getting everything out of the way, and will be a scary good contributor for us in the future. He is a very gifted receiver and we are lucky to have him.



AND BACK TO THE OP:



Hoffman is a fabulous receiver and belongs in the two deep, ahead of Luke "sticky hands" Ashworth, and OC.

Isn't he already in two-deep? Hasn't he started the last two weeks?
B
Brayden Green
kitic77 wrote:
BigCougsFan wrote:
for all the hype apo has not lived up to it. he seems to need time mentally to pick up the offense.


Are you serious??? Didn't he have shoulder surgery coming out of H.S.??? So he couldn't practice 100% in spring ball. He did very well in fall, IMO.


Yeah, shoulder surgery out of HS and finger surgery now. Good to see he is getting everything out of the way, and will be a scary good contributor for us in the future. He is a very gifted receiver and we are lucky to have him.



AND BACK TO THE OP:



Hoffman is a fabulous receiver and belongs in the two deep, ahead of Luke "sticky hands" Ashworth, and OC.

Isn't he already in two-deep? Hasn't he started the last two weeks?


Nope, ashworth was listed as a starter last game. Hoffman is playing more, though, and that is good. Now he just needs to get all of Ashworth's snaps, for not running routes through, and for dropping nearly everything thrown his way.
S
SpiffCoug
I was pretty sure I saw Hoffman out there on the first play. Jake's second attempt of the game (on 3 & 5) went to Cody.



Ashworth still needs to play. You can't completely give up on players for struggling. And WRs can't play every down - they need a breather too.
B
BroncoBot
kitic77 wrote:
I was pretty sure I saw Hoffman out there on the first play. Jake's second attempt of the game (on 3 & 5) went to Cody.



Ashworth still needs to play. You can't completely give up on players for struggling. And WRs can't play every down - they need a breather too.

Are you kidding? What good is a receiver that has to come off for a breather. What's next, you gonna try and tell me that Quezada and JJ can't play in the backfield together every down?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
[quote="declocoug"][quote="kitic77"]I was pretty sure I saw Hoffman out there on the first play. Jake's second attempt of the game (on 3
B
BroncoBot
kitic77 wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
I was pretty sure I saw Hoffman out there on the first play. Jake's second attempt of the game (on 3

Don't know where you're going with this kitic, but my last post was TIC. Gotcha?
S
SpiffCoug
declocoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:
I was pretty sure I saw Hoffman out there on the first play. Jake's second attempt of the game (on 3

Don't know where you're going with this kitic, but my last post was TIC. Gotcha?

apparently my edit didn't work. I thought you might be TIC. But as to your question, I really hope Juice can pick up the blocking sooner, because I'd love to see him and JJ in the same backfield. It'd make our offense much tougher to defend if we had two effective RBs (i.e., Unga and Tonga)
S
snoscythe
I noticed after rewatching the UNR game that Hoffman has either put a lot of emphasis on his route running, or he finally decided to put effort into it. His hips are digging into his cuts and he is now getting more acceleration coming out of them, which gives him an automatic half-step more than what he was getting with sloppy routes to start the season.



That extra half-step with this kid will be deadly.
M
Mars


Apo had shoulder surgery out of high school. He's out right now after finger surgery. But he should play, and hopefully a ton, once he comes back- soon.



Apo was basically voted BYU's "most uncoverable" receiver in fall camp near unanimously by the media. Wrubell loves him, and Greg ain't stupid. Dick Harmon thinks he's the best WR on our team. Even Jay Drew was shocked at how easy it looked for him to run a route and catch the ball, regardless of the defender attempting to guard him.



Ross is young and needs to learn the playbook better, but that's what this year is all about at this point.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.