Archived Topic

Utah State: crossroads: Make or Break, Bowl or no Bowl

by YBrit · 9/25/2010

Advertisement
Y
YBrit
By this point NR is scaring fans everywhere. Utah State will have more momentum than BYU. BYU has better athletes than NR and AF...but lack of experience (so the excuses go) is hurting our play. USU is going to want to win that game more than BYU...I don't know why but it's going to be big.



That game will be the real turning point for BYU. If we beat Utah State (expected still?) BYU gets bowl eligible. If BYU loses to USU (expected now?) BYU doesn't get bowl eligible. We'll run out of games we can win before we reach 6.



Put your freshman in...NO REDSHIRTS. Just play them all, let's get a BSU, TCU theme going...have them play for 3-4 years and the next few seasons will be awesome.



Bronco can say what he wants, Anae can call questionable plays when he wants. But believe it or not, this IS make or break. BYU doesn't get bowl eligible with a loss.



Thank goodness Jimmer is back, otherwise Women's Soccer is the best program at BYU.
G
Guest
The thing is, the coaches have a development plan for these players, to maximize their on the field time. I don't know that we want to throw all those plans to the wind because we're having a rough rebuilding year.
Y
YBrit
hawkwing wrote:
The thing is, the coaches have a development plan for these players, to maximize their on the field time. I don't know that we want to throw all those plans to the wind because we're having a rough rebuilding year.




It's hard to argue against Boise and TCU success. Dump the seniors who work hard in practice but don't contribute on the field and adapt with creativity for the future.
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
The thing is, the coaches have a development plan for these players, to maximize their on the field time. I don't know that we want to throw all those plans to the wind because we're having a rough rebuilding year.

I like that thought.



BUT.... I really think that Heaps would have been a better qb next here had he redshirted this year. Of course, Nelson's injury threw that option out. Hopefully we aren't damaging Heaps more than we are helping him. What an awesome opportunity for the young kid though. I hope to see him light it up in the second half today, and against USU in the near future.
M
mizzoucoug
YBrit wrote:
BYU has better athletes than NR and AF


I wish this were true, but I just don't see it. Who are our great athletes that these teams don't have an equivalent for? Pretty much any top 50 program has LB's who can go sideline to sideline and make tackles. We don't. Pretty much any top 50 program has at least 1 RB and 1 WR who can go the distance if given the space. We don't. The only exceptional athlete you might be referring to is Rich, which is also debatable.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
BYU has better athletes than NR and AF


I wish this were true, but I just don't see it. Who are our great athletes that these teams don't have an equivalent for? Pretty much any top 50 program has LB's who can go sideline to sideline and make tackles. We don't. Pretty much any top 50 program has at least 1 RB and 1 WR who can go the distance if given the space. We don't. The only exceptional athlete you might be referring to is Rich, which is also debatable.

I'm afraid we agree here mizzou.
K
kiwibacon
USU is beat up...They are using their 3rd or 4th string RB against SDSU.
B
BoiseBYU
USU is NOT a crossroads game...Playing USU will NEVER be a crossroads game. it is just another game. We might lose; I think we can win...but we are developing and progressing...
C
Cougarbib
USU teams usually lack depth and injuries pile up. Maybe we r catching them late enough in the season now. I still think BYU should make USU come to Provo every year, through. Logieville is a trap - hostile fans - out in the sticks - boring bus ride that takes too long - and USU is easy to over look when you are a bit arrogant. Hopefully, we r humbe enough to win now.



Go Cougs
C
CannonCougar85
Cougarbib2 wrote:
USU teams usually lack depth and injuries pile up. Maybe we r catching them late enough in the season now. I still think BYU should make USU come to Provo every year, through. Logieville is a trap - hostile fans - out in the sticks - boring bus ride that takes too long - and USU is easy to over look when you are a bit arrogant. Hopefully, we r humbe enough to win now.



Go Cougs


I agree with this completely. Their fans are terrible and BYU gains zero from playing them in Logan. I have heard that the only reason BYU and Utah play games in Logan is so that USU can reach the minimum average attendance requirement for FCS. Pathetic.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
BoiseBYU wrote:
USU is NOT a crossroads game...Playing USU will NEVER be a crossroads game. it is just another game. We might lose; I think we can win...but we are developing and progressing...


I think being a crossroads game has little to do with the opponent and much more to do with how your team is doing. When your team has lost three in a row following a season opening with, the next games is a crossroads game even if the opponent is Weber State.



Maybe this is all just semantics... do you consider the USU game a "must win?"
B
BoiseBYU
Mingjai wrote:
USU is NOT a crossroads game...Playing USU will NEVER be a crossroads game. it is just another game. We might lose; I think we can win...but we are developing and progressing...


I think being a crossroads game has little to do with the opponent and much more to do with how your team is doing. When your team has lost three in a row following a season opening with, the next games is a crossroads game even if the opponent is Weber State.



Maybe this is all just semantics... do you consider the USU game a "must win?"


I do not. I read "crossroads" as like "being at the crossroads" meaning very important or pivotal. This teteam seems to me to be a work in progress that will take some time



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Oh goodness, we better not lose to USU.
C
Cougarbib
According to Eric Clapton, we are down at the cross roads and this is a must win. I guess one should carefully analyze the remaining schedule to form an educated opinion. But iirc the cupcakes are still a bit later and TCU is coming too soon - so I gotta agree with Clapton on this one.



I would like to see this team crawl up to 3-3 before TCU sets us back. Then maybe we get a streak going into the Utah game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarPeasant
If we want a winning record this season, USU is a must win game.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
it's weird that we are even sitting around talking about whether or not we need to win a game against USU...
C
Cougarbib
Internet says tickets R $40.00



Let's all go up and try to sit with Chambers if he can make it.



I decided to fly out and try to get up to Logan in time for the game.



No matter where you R - wear Blue and support our kids



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Ps - a win would be PRICELESS at this point.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
Mingjai wrote:
do you consider the USU game a "must win?"

Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt.
F
frdbtr
Lets look at the sched, BYU is currently 1-3. If we lose to utah state, we are 1-4, with a nearly certain loss to SDSU which puts us at 1-5 going into the TCU game which we don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning so that puts us at 1-6. The next 4 are winable so lets be optimistic and say that BYU wins all of them, that puts us at 5-6 going into the utah game. So Yes, if BYU wants a winning season, it has to start on Friday againsts usu with a win, if we lose, it becomes nearly impossible to have a winning season and a bowl game this year.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.