Archived Topic

Bronco Holding Himself Accountable

by CannonCougar85 · 9/23/2010

Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
From Greg Wrubells Tweets to the right:
Bronco: The two-QB system has been "the biggest issue with our execution so far"... has "affected our execution more than anything."



Bronco on the QB rotation: "I'm completely responsible" for the "choice that I made"... that "cut practice reps in half, for each player."



Bronco on going with two QBs: "If I wasn't so convinced that either (Heaps or Nelson) could be the quarterback, I wouldn't have done that."


I think you gotta give Bronco a break on the 2 QB rotation idea. It was the first time in his head coaching career where he has been faced with a decision like this where 2 QB's were so even in his mind. I'm sure he has learned from it and can now move forward.



PS. On a Tweet note, aren't you excited that Cougar Corner can get rid of the MTN Tweet starting next season? Makes me smile inside.

:)
C
Cougy_Monster
I really like how Bronco is handling the setbacks of the season so far. This is a real important year for the him and the team. For the first time he's struggling with a team he built (his 1st season as HC was just managing Crowton's recruits). The 2-headed QB monster has been difficult to tame and maybe he'll never go down that road again. Either way I'm glad that both players and coaches are getting valuable (and difficult) experience this season because the next few years are going to explode with wins.
C
crh55
The good news is that Bronco has figured this out after only 3 games.That is a pretty good learning curve. Besides we may not have won the last 2 games even if Bronco had named a clear cut starter at the beginning of fall camp. I do recall us getting blown out at home by FSU last year (there was no quarterback or any other personnel controversy that i can recall last season). I think that Bronco will right the ship and we will end up with a winning record and a bowl win. These would be great accomplishments considering the youth of this team.
I
Italics
in related news: Bronco now admits that BYU should have run Harvey Unga more against Utah in 2008.
P
pjmuli
crh55 wrote:
The good news is that Bronco has figured this out after only 3 games.That is a pretty good learning curve. Besides we may not have won the last 2 games even if Bronco had named a clear cut starter at the beginning of fall camp. I do recall us getting blown out at home by FSU last year (there was no quarterback or any other personnel controversy that i can recall last season). I think that Bronco will right the ship and we will end up with a winning record and a bowl win. These would be great accomplishments considering the youth of this team.


This is certainly looking at the glass as being one third full as opposed to two thirds empty.



I am growing more and more concerned as this season progresses concerning the leadership of the coaching staff. Now, I have said it over and over again...I am an avid Bronco supporter...but consider the following blunders:



1. Using the regular season as an extended tryout for several positions.

2. Adopting a two quarterback system, splitting the reps between the two quarterbacks, meaning both are taking the field basically unprepared to succeed

3. Adamantly defending the two quarterback system when it is obvious it is a failure

4. Deciding to play Riley Nelson when he has a broken finger on his throwing hand and a lingering shoulder injury. So basically, (a) he couldn't throw worth squat and (b) he was likely to banged up because he was going to run around to compensate for his inability to throw.

5. After Riley is injured for the year...STILL insists they would have played two quarterbacks.

6. Admits that the two quarterback system was stifling the development of both quarterbacks - and yet - stubbornly refused to acknowledge a growing concern in the fan-base and media.

7. Admitting that the two qb approach destroyed execution of the team...and yet, two days ago, still was not clear how to proceed.

8. Remaining in a state of confusion while acknowledging that splitting the reps contributed to that confusion.



These are blatant, stubborn, and foolish leadership errors.



I give Bronco the benefit of the doubt because he knows so much about the situation...but football and human behavior are not THAT complicated.



These are the fruits of failed leadership in the coaching ranks. I hope there is some mitigating factor...but at some point this coaching staff needs to get over being "ever learning."



J
Advertisement
C
cougman
Who hear really thinks Heaps and Nelson are close in ability to quarterback our offense? In my opinion, Bronco should have given the job to Jake as he is clearly the better QB but kept Riley involved as he would have been golden as a wildcat option.
S
SpiffCoug
I think Bronco had the 2 QB rotation was a bad idea much sooner than just this week. As I stated in another thread, he was allowing players a chance to prove him wrong and assistants the chance to either make it work or correct the situation on their own. He was trying to develop leadership skills. But after a certain amount of time, it kind of reached a breaking point and he took action.



I know he said the plan was still to use 2 QBs, but I bet the rotation would have started to seriously favor Heaps.



And like a good leader, he takes responsibility for his subordinates failures. Look at MG Tarbet in dealing with the Herriman Fire. Tarbet wasn't out at the range shooting "in the face of a red flag" but he took responsibilty for the fire and he's the one being looked to for leadership. He's not going to blame that unit's commander or range control - although they will be held accountable behind close doors. He's going to take the blame and educate those leaders to prevent this from happening again.
S
Sammich
Playing Riley with injuries was probably more Riley's fault than any of the coaches. The good players I've known were always trying to minimize their injuries as much as possible so they could see the field again.
C
CougarClaw
cougman wrote:
Who hear really thinks Heaps and Nelson are close in ability to quarterback our offense? In my opinion, Bronco should have given the job to Jake as he is clearly the better QB but kept Riley involved as he would have been golden as a wildcat option.


Nelson was the one who won the Washington game for us, not Heaps. And it's been Nelson and JJ who have been our ONLY spark of offense in actual games while newbie Heaps is taking his lumps along with plenty of sacks. Heaps may have the potential and it's good the controversy is over, but don't discredit what Nelson gave us, and don't forget how much better Nelson has been in scoring offense (until FSU) and keeping our defense off the field in actual games.



so yes, while Heaps is still new, Nelson was QUITE close, if not better in actual games than Heaps.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Sammich wrote:
Playing Riley with injuries was probably more Riley's fault than any of the coaches. The good players I've known were always trying to minimize their injuries as much as possible so they could see the field again.


agreed. Pop some more aspirin and put me in coach. Nelson was a superman while he could be. and we owe him the Washington win.
T
tww
kitic77 wrote:
I think Bronco had the 2 QB rotation was a bad idea much sooner than just this week. As I stated in another thread, he was allowing players a chance to prove him wrong and assistants the chance to either make it work or correct the situation on their own. He was trying to develop leadership skills. But after a certain amount of time, it kind of reached a breaking point and he took action.



I know he said the plan was still to use 2 QBs, but I bet the rotation would have started to seriously favor Heaps.



And like a good leader, he takes responsibility for his subordinates failures. Look at MG Tarbet in dealing with the Herriman Fire. Tarbet wasn't out at the range shooting "in the face of a red flag" but he took responsibilty for the fire and he's the one being looked to for leadership. He's not going to blame that unit's commander or range control - although they will be held accountable behind close doors. He's going to take the blame and educate those leaders to prevent this from happening again.


I agree. It does seem that Bronco was following the example of George Washington and allowing his generals to discover for themselves what he already knew, thus strengthening their unity and buy-in. But even this brings some concern with it that perhaps there hasn't been unity in vision and direction. I am not about to nitpick decisions that were made, that needed to be made. I think it is unfair and doesn't prove anything other than decisions are easier to make when you are not the one that has to make them under the complexities and timing of the moment.



However there are some bigger picture questions that are a bit haunting. For example, If there truly is some discord or lack of unity, what is causing it? Perhaps the biggest question for me is why is there a QB gap? Shouldn't the coaching staff have been grooming a successor to Hall for the last two years rather than leaving it until last spring? Or brought in a JC as was done with Sarkesian?



Well I suppose I am only thinking out loud which is always dangerous and it is all in the past as long as it stays in the past.



Hopefully everything will work itself out as Bronco has planned all along. Go Cougars! Go coach Bronco!
S
SpiffCoug
tww wrote:
I agree. It does seem that Bronco was following the example of George Washington and allowing his generals to discover for themselves what he already knew, thus strengthening their unity and buy-in. But even this brings some concern with it that perhaps there hasn't been unity in vision and direction. I am not about to nitpick decisions that were made, that needed to be made. I think it is unfair and doesn't prove anything other than decisions are easier to make when you are not the one that has to make them under the complexities and timing of the moment.

Reminds me of an old saying, "The difference between a fool and a wise man is that the wise man tends to make more serious mistakes; but only because no one trusts a fool with those decisions."
C
CannonCougar85
Bronco really just cant win with some people. So Bronco tries the rotating players approach and it doesn't work out so well. He realizes that it isn't working out and so he admits it and holds himself accountable for it. This also means he changes that approach. Good for him. You live, you learn. But people are still ripping on him.



Let's see what would happen if it was the other way around. Lets say Bronco doesn't do the rotating thing and just picks one guy. People would still rip on him for picking the "wrong" guy. And I know this to be true because it's already happening. How many times have we read on this forum "Put Juice in and lets see what he can do" or "I want to see Philips back there returning kickoffs" or "Why isn't Kyle Van Noy playing more?"



Bronco just cant win. There are always going to be people who think he's wrong. This is why I like the fact that he doesn't really care what the fans think. The fans are telling him contradictory things, some are saying he should do one thing and some are saying he should do the opposite. It's best to just tune it out completely.



I stand with Lawboy in saying that all you chicken littles out there need to either take a step back into reality or go and hide from the sky.
L
Lawboy
I just think that we as BYU fans need to understand that the missionary program that many BYU players enter into will cause years like this on occasion. It is a reality. There will be years when some guys do not get back in time to get games ready to fill a need, like this year. Guys leaving for 2 years may make them more mature, but it also means they have less continuity in the program, which makes it harder to see needs to fill. This year is a prime example.



Patience is what we need. 2010 is a rebuild year. So let's just get behind the team best we can and understand we are not a 10 win team in 2010.
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
Italics wrote:
in related news: Bronco now admits that BYU should have run Harvey Unga more against Utah in 2008.




Anae said: Looking back, I would've had Max throw the same interceptions all over again, and ran even less.
P
pjmuli
CannonCougar85 wrote:
Bronco really just cant win with some people. So Bronco tries the rotating players approach and it doesn't work out so well. He realizes that it isn't working out and so he admits it and holds himself accountable for it. This also means he changes that approach. Good for him. You live, you learn. But people are still ripping on him.



Let's see what would happen if it was the other way around. Lets say Bronco doesn't do the rotating thing and just picks one guy. People would still rip on him for picking the "wrong" guy. And I know this to be true because it's already happening. How many times have we read on this forum "Put Juice in and lets see what he can do" or "I want to see Philips back there returning kickoffs" or "Why isn't Kyle Van Noy playing more?"



Bronco just cant win. There are always going to be people who think he's wrong. This is why I like the fact that he doesn't really care what the fans think. The fans are telling him contradictory things, some are saying he should do one thing and some are saying he should do the opposite. It's best to just tune it out completely.



I stand with Lawboy in saying that all you chicken littles out there need to either take a step back into reality or go and hide from the sky.


To some extent what you are saying here is factual...but that is inherent in the coaching profession at this level. Bronco knows that...he has experienced it. I am not saying it is justified, desirable, or right...but it is the nature of the business.



Secondly, you invited the "chicken littles" to "take a step back into reality or go and hide from the sky." In essence, what you are saying is "if you do not agree with me that everything is good in my version of reality, then you are a coward and need to go get a life" - as if the only conversation that is needed on this board is to reinforce a very narrow perception of reality.



Having said that...I stand by my statements. I am an avid supporter of Bronco Mendenhall, I do believe the best is yet to come, but I am concerned about that some of the seemingly foolish decisions is really more of a pattern than we choose to acknowledge.



Of course it can change...and I believe it will...but I fault no fan for having reservations over how the first three games of this season have been administered.



Would we be 3-0? I don't know, nor do you. I will say this much...I can see us being 2-1 if the offense was refined enough to execute the schemes and keep the defense off the field. The games at AFA and FSU were winnable games that turned into blowouts after halftime adjustments.



That reflects coaching. I would surprised if you would argue.

J
P
pjmuli
YBrit wrote:
in related news: Bronco now admits that BYU should have run Harvey Unga more against Utah in 2008.




Anae said: Looking back, I would've had Max throw the same interceptions all over again, and ran even less.


LOL.
C
CannonCougar85
pjmuli wrote:

To some extent what you are saying here is factual...but that is inherent in the coaching profession at this level. Bronco knows that...he has experienced it. I am not saying it is justified, desirable, or right...but it is the nature of the business.



Secondly, you invited the "chicken littles" to "take a step back into reality or go and hide from the sky." In essence, what you are saying is "if you do not agree with me that everything is good in my version of reality, then you are a coward and need to go get a life" - as if the only conversation that is needed on this board is to reinforce a very narrow perception of reality.



Having said that...I stand by my statements. I am an avid supporter of Bronco Mendenhall, I do believe the best is yet to come, but I am concerned about that some of the seemingly foolish decisions is really more of a pattern than we choose to acknowledge.



Of course it can change...and I believe it will...but I fault no fan for having reservations over how the first three games of this season have been administered.



Would we be 3-0? I don't know, nor do you. I will say this much...I can see us being 2-1 if the offense was refined enough to execute the schemes and keep the defense off the field. The games at AFA and FSU were winnable games that turned into blowouts after halftime adjustments.



That reflects coaching. I would surprised if you would argue.

J


I apologize if I offended you with my chicken little comment.



My point is this. Bronco is in his 6th season as head coach. This is his best recruiting class. Never before has he had this caliber of young talent come into the system. He has never been faced with a QB controversy before. I think BYU fans just need to cut him some slack as this is the first time he has been faced with all of these issues. Nobody gets it perfect the first time and based off of his comments I will bet that he has learned from it.



Bronco isn't Lavell, he hasn't been coaching for 30 years. There is still a learning curve with Bronco and that is to be expected. Just have a little faith in him, the man is 50-17 after all.
P
pjmuli
CannonCougar85 wrote:
I apologize if I offended you with my chicken little comment.



My point is this. Bronco is in his 6th season as head coach. This is his best recruiting class. Never before has he had this caliber of young talent come into the system. He has never been faced with a QB controversy before. I think BYU fans just need to cut him some slack as this is the first time he has been faced with all of these issues. Nobody gets it perfect the first time and based off of his comments I will bet that he has learned from it.



Bronco isn't Lavell, he hasn't been coaching for 30 years. There is still a learning curve with Bronco and that is to be expected. Just have a little faith in him, the man is 50-17 after all.


No need to apologize my friend...I was not offended by any means. I just hope there is room to improve our view of what happens with BYU football because we can discuss the bad with as much fidelity as we would the good.



Now that I have repeatedly articulated my concerns with Bronco this season...perhaps I should balance it out with the rest of my feelings:



I fully expect Bronco to turn this ship around as soon as this week. In fact, I have gone so far as to say that I think has been a better coach than LaVell (I hope that is not blasphemous) thus far.



As it pertains to this season, I think the defense has played well enough to suggest they are capable of contributing to victories if the offense were more consistent and effective. Now that we have one guy, and he is a tremendous talent, I genuinely think BYU will win on Saturday by two scores.



My biggest point with what we have seen this year is that if we are ever going to bust through to the BCS, we need to either (a) cease getting out coached or (b) cease out coaching ourselves.



Let's enjoy the ride.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.