Archived Topic

Nelson Injured in Fall Camp

by snoscythe · 9/22/2010

Advertisement
G
Guest
Amazing for a small white boy that was hitting as hard as Harvey Unga during his runs. The kid is a true competitor.
L
Lawboy
Explains why the 2 QB system was used in the first place. With Nelson being hurt, and the way he plays, I think the coaches knew that this could happen and thought they needed to get Heaps some reps. Also that Jake is fundamentally sound, just needs experience.



Once again, the coaches know things we don't, and were on top of it. All credit to them. We are better off right now as a result of the way things got handled.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Explains why the 2 QB system was used in the first place. With Nelson being hurt, and the way he plays, I think the coaches knew that this could happen and thought they needed to get Heaps some reps. Also that Jake is fundamentally sound, just needs experience.



Once again, the coaches know things we don't, and were on top of it. All credit to them. We are better off right now as a result of the way things got handled.


I will have to disagree with you there. Why does splitting the reps put us in a better position now? They still played Jake in game one and were intending on making him the primary starter after only a few games. Nelson getting injured didn't change that much. Bronco said today jake was going to be our main starter with riley coming in in key situations. They could have done that from day one of fall camp and if riley gets injured now we are still better off if jake would have been getting more reps which equals better execution, our main problem.
C
CougarPeasant
Lawboy wrote:
Explains why the 2 QB system was used in the first place. With Nelson being hurt, and the way he plays, I think the coaches knew that this could happen and thought they needed to get Heaps some reps. Also that Jake is fundamentally sound, just needs experience.



Once again, the coaches know things we don't, and were on top of it. All credit to them. We are better off right now as a result of the way things got handled.


Good point.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
jonnylingo wrote:
. Bronco said today jake was going to be our main starter with riley coming in in key situations. They could have done that from day one of fall camp and if riley gets injured now we are still better off if jake would have been getting more reps which equals better execution, our main problem.


I have not seen that quote. What I saw yesterday was a comment Bronco made where he said Riley was going to start getting all of the critical reps, which leads me to believe they were leaning Riley, not Jake. Saw it in print, and saw the video of it. I still think Bronco wanted Riley for this year, based upon what he has said.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
. Bronco said today jake was going to be our main starter with riley coming in in key situations. They could have done that from day one of fall camp and if riley gets injured now we are still better off if jake would have been getting more reps which equals better execution, our main problem.


I have not seen that quote. What I saw yesterday was a comment Bronco made where he said Riley was going to start getting all of the critical reps, which leads me to believe they were leaning Riley, not Jake. Saw it in print, and saw the video of it. I still think Bronco wanted Riley for this year, based upon what he has said.


http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_be29c0bd-b0e5-58d7-9bcd-4327226ceb6c.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mendenhall said. "We were going to continue to play two, and shift some of the critical situations to Riley. He can't run any harder, or try any harder. There's just no way he can play anymore.


This is the quote I was referencing. Critical "situations" means short and goal or third and short...etc. tebow/leak. I guess we are simply interpreting the same quote in different ways. I thought given the fact that jake was getting most the reps that this was clearly what he meant. Riley comes in on a situational basis where his strengths will help. He also says "shift" those situations to riley. It just seemed like they were going to continue with two but have it be completely different than what we were seeing. I just don't think that means that they were going to keep laying both but have riley get more of the reps.
B
BigCougsFan
jonnylingo wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
. Bronco said today jake was going to be our main starter with riley coming in in key situations. They could have done that from day one of fall camp and if riley gets injured now we are still better off if jake would have been getting more reps which equals better execution, our main problem.


I have not seen that quote. What I saw yesterday was a comment Bronco made where he said Riley was going to start getting all of the critical reps, which leads me to believe they were leaning Riley, not Jake. Saw it in print, and saw the video of it. I still think Bronco wanted Riley for this year, based upon what he has said.


http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/article_be29c0bd-b0e5-58d7-9bcd-4327226ceb6c.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mendenhall said. "We were going to continue to play two, and shift some of the critical situations to Riley. He can't run any harder, or try any harder. There's just no way he can play anymore.


This is the quote I was referencing. Critical "situations" means short and goal or third and short...etc. tebow/leak. I guess we are simply interpreting the same quote in different ways. I thought given the fact that jake was getting most the reps that this was clearly what he meant. Riley comes in on a situational basis where his strengths will help. He also says "shift" those situations to riley. It just seemed like they were going to continue with two but have it be completely different than what we were seeing. I just don't think that means that they were going to keep laying both but have riley get more of the reps.




I keep reading/hearing Nelson will be used in "critical situations". What type of situations is Bronco referring to?



AND



I highly doubt Robert Anae could/would even adjust to using a different QB for those "critical situations". That's totally against his logic of being an OC. We've heard it from the season opener till now, and Anae didn't do it at all. Not even once! Just rotated QB's. If I'm wrong... Correct me.
S
SpiffCoug
BigCougsFan wrote:
I keep reading/hearing Nelson will be used in "critical situations". What type of situations is Bronco referring to?

AND

I highly doubt Robert Anae could/would even adjust to using a different QB for those "critical situations". That's totally against his logic of being an OC. We've heard it from the season opener till now, and Anae didn't do it at all. Not even once! Just rotated QB's. If I'm wrong... Correct me.

There's no need to correct you. There's no need to answer those questions. They're completely and totally irrelevant to moving on and preparing for the rest of the season. The QB rotation is over. All the "critical siutations" will be manned by Heaps.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.