Archived Topic

Don't Complain about this Year's Home Schedule...

by Wickchad · 9/22/2010

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
it will get worse:



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50327462-76/holmoe-2011-state-byu.html.csp?page=1
Holmoe said that for the 2011 season, 10 of the 12 games are set. BYU can play 13 games in 2011 and 2013 if it elects to use an NCAA exemption that allows for an extra game when a school travels to Hawaii. Holmoe said BYU hasn’t decided if it will do that.



For now, the Cougars in 2011 are scheduled to play at Oregon State, Texas, Hawaii and Louisiana Tech and at home against Utah, Utah State, Central Florida, New Mexico State, Idaho and San Jose State.


All I can say is they better get 13 games because they need to add a good home game. Right now the Utah game is the only decent home game. I assume the last two games to be announced are road games, and hopefully one of them is Notre Dame.



We actually will have a decent schedule next year with 3 BCS teams already scheduled. However, the schedule is very top and bottom heavy. Too bad we don't play this schedule this year because so far there would be seven easy wins. I think we really need two additional BCS games. It sounds like we may be waiting for Colorado to announce when they are going to the 12 Pac. If they go next year we should be able to get a game with another Big 12 team who needs to replace Colorado on their schedule.



A nice way to round out the schedule would be Notre Dame, Texas Tech, and Kansas State. We'd be playing 6 BCS games and those teams add middle ranked teams to our schedule.
M
Mingjai
You're posting this about 3 weeks late, because the way BYU's playing, it's looking like all of the remaining home games will be a battle! And yes, I know how bad UNM and UNLV are...
Q
QuarterbackU
Colorado will join PAC in 2011, fox sports



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
QuarterbackU wrote:
Colorado will join PAC in 2011, fox sports

Yup, just announced yesterday. $6.5MM buy-out.
E
EM_Puma
I was wondering when I had read that article if there had really ever been a team that had the option for that 13th game because of playing Hawaii that didn't excercise it. It would seem to me that no matter who you could get you would take that game. That made me wonder, how many teams out there miss out on game opportunities and don't play as many games as they can? I didn't think there were any, so there is a finite number of teams. Therefore the only teams available to schedule a game are teams that still do not have scheduled that 12th game or other teams that get that 13th game option and don't take it. That has to be a population you can ascertain and those are the teams you either set up a game with or don't and if you don't, then either one of those teams afforded a 13th game have decided not to go for that additional game or someone is playing one less game than they could. That comment was just confusing, probably a lot like this post.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Mars wrote:
Colorado will join PAC in 2011, fox sports

Yup, just announced yesterday. $6.5MM buy-out.


Yep, that had to be good news for Holmoe
C
CAFB_04-12
EM_Puma wrote:
I was wondering when I had read that article if there had really ever been a team that had the option for that 13th game because of playing Hawaii that didn't excercise it. It would seem to me that no matter who you could get you would take that game. That made me wonder, how many teams out there miss out on game opportunities and don't play as many games as they can? I didn't think there were any, so there is a finite number of teams. Therefore the only teams available to schedule a game are teams that still do not have scheduled that 12th game or other teams that get that 13th game option and don't take it. That has to be a population you can ascertain and those are the teams you either set up a game with or don't and if you don't, then either one of those teams afforded a 13th game have decided not to go for that additional game or someone is playing one less game than they could. That comment was just confusing, probably a lot like this post.

Could BYU take an FCS team for the 13th game? Would Weber St or SUU be options? That would at least have some local interest.
E
EM_Puma
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I was wondering when I had read that article if there had really ever been a team that had the option for that 13th game because of playing Hawaii that didn't excercise it. It would seem to me that no matter who you could get you would take that game. That made me wonder, how many teams out there miss out on game opportunities and don't play as many games as they can? I didn't think there were any, so there is a finite number of teams. Therefore the only teams available to schedule a game are teams that still do not have scheduled that 12th game or other teams that get that 13th game option and don't take it. That has to be a population you can ascertain and those are the teams you either set up a game with or don't and if you don't, then either one of those teams afforded a 13th game have decided not to go for that additional game or someone is playing one less game than they could. That comment was just confusing, probably a lot like this post.

Could BYU take an FCS team for the 13th game? Would Weber St or SUU be options? That would at least have some local interest.


The only time I could see playing one of those teams is if we could open the season with them. Too bad the NCAA doesn't let teams begin a week early if they are afforded that 13th game. That would be the opportunity to play such as team as a scrimmage per se to tune you up for the season. Other than that, I really don't like playing FCS teams and I would be happy if we never played one again. That said, I'd still show up in Provo to watch the game.
W
Wickchad
EM_Puma wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
I was wondering when I had read that article if there had really ever been a team that had the option for that 13th game because of playing Hawaii that didn't excercise it. It would seem to me that no matter who you could get you would take that game. That made me wonder, how many teams out there miss out on game opportunities and don't play as many games as they can? I didn't think there were any, so there is a finite number of teams. Therefore the only teams available to schedule a game are teams that still do not have scheduled that 12th game or other teams that get that 13th game option and don't take it. That has to be a population you can ascertain and those are the teams you either set up a game with or don't and if you don't, then either one of those teams afforded a 13th game have decided not to go for that additional game or someone is playing one less game than they could. That comment was just confusing, probably a lot like this post.

Could BYU take an FCS team for the 13th game? Would Weber St or SUU be options? That would at least have some local interest.


The only time I could see playing one of those teams is if we could open the season with them. Too bad the NCAA doesn't let teams begin a week early if they are afforded that 13th game. That would be the opportunity to play such as team as a scrimmage per se to tune you up for the season. Other than that, I really don't like playing FCS teams and I would be happy if we never played one again. That said, I'd still show up in Provo to watch the game.


I think that SJSU and New Mexico St might as well be FCS teams. I'd be okay with playing Weber or SUU if we had to play an FCS team. I actually think it would be better to play them the second game of the year rather than the first. It would be hard to get pumped up in the off season for your 1st game if it was SUU. I'd rather play a tough game 1st since we usually do pretty well the first game. Then play FCS team the second game to recover from the 1st game and implement adjustments that need to be made.
F
Florwood
EM_Puma wrote:
Therefore the only teams available to schedule a game are teams that still do not have scheduled that 12th game or other teams that get that 13th game option and don't take it.


That doesn't make sense. Just because you're playing your 13th game doesn't mean it's an extra game for your opponent. Anyone that has a 12th game to fill could play us in our 'extra' game.



Plusses for scheduling a 13th game:

+$2 mill in revenue (1.5 stadium revenue, .5 tv and other)

+chance to find an opponent that upgrades the sucky 2011 home schedule

+PR of having BYU's first season since 1996 with seven home games



Minuses for scheduling a 13th game

-Extra wear and tear on the athletes

-Risk of scheduling another NMSU or Idaho



Pluses seem to win, 1996 was certainly a good year with all its games...
Advertisement
H
hypercoug
I'm bummed we don't get to play TCU next year. Would have been a home game.
C
CannonCougar85
2011 home games may not be quality opponents and that kind of sucks but on the plus side at least they are Different opponents. If I had a choice between seeing this years home schedule and next years I would take next years just because it is something new.
C
Cougarbib
Until there is a playoff system, it is all a beauty contest and you cannot afford to lose any games no matter who you are playing unless you are Florida, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, or USC. Maybe I left out on eor two that could get away with a loss like Oklahoma, LSU, maybe Oregon.



So don't gripe about having some gimmes on the schedule. All of the above teams have giimmes on their schedule and are still allowed to lose one.



Just ask teams like Notre Dame (East) and UW what happens when you load up your schedule and take the beatings. It would be nice to have al games be our division unlike the teams above, but don't complain about getting several gimmes.



If yo uplayed 12 or 13 games where you had an equal match - you go 6-6 or 7-6 or 6-7 every year. I know some of you think BYU has no equal match - but we do. If you play Texas and Oklahoma, and Fordia every week. Well then plan on 3-8.



BSU has shown the world the formula. Utah has closely emulated it to success. UW at least got to the dance. ANd, BYU has not.



QUit whining about the schedule until we start beating everyone on our schedule. We haven't done that in a while.



And 1996 was sweet - other than that one loss that kept us out of any NC discussion. Luckily we manged 14 wins. Several of those were gimmes



Go Cougs
M
Mars
EM_Puma wrote:
I was wondering when I had read that article if there had really ever been a team that had the option for that 13th game because of playing Hawaii that didn't excercise it. It would seem to me that no matter who you could get you would take that game.

Well, go 6-6 and you're bowl eligible. Schedule and lose that 13th game, and you're 6-7 and not bowl eligible.



BYU has 10 games lined up for next season. At worst, games 11 and 12 could both be I-AA teams. A couple schools do that every year. Then we wouldn't use the 13 games option.
C
Cougarbib
Texas owes us a visit. Maybe we should have ESPN press them to do the first ever televised home and away series played in the same season.



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.