Archived Topic

Riley Nelson to have Surgery, Out Rest of Year

by hawkwing · 9/21/2010

Advertisement
G
Guest
http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Looks like Nelson will miss the rest of the season due to surgery on an injury received at FSU.
BYU junior quarterback Riley Nelson will have surgery to repair a shoulder injury suffered Saturday during the Florida State game and will be out the remainder of the 2010 season.

http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/graphics/athletes/m-00000007999.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Translation: medical redshirt and a move to safety/rb/lb. Too bad to see it all end like this as much as we all just wanted it to end somehow someway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarpoke
Well, I guess that answered the QB controversy...that is too bad. Nelson seemed like a great guy and really ran the option well. I could very easily have seen how well he could have been used in short yardage situations. Well, BYU will truly be Heaps team. I wasn't in favor of the two qb system, but I didn't want injuries to decide the rotation for them. Too bad...hope he recovers quickly.
H
hypercoug
Wowzers.



Well, I guess this solves the dual quarterback problem. I hope Riley is granted another year of eligibility with a medical redshirt. Is having played in 3 games too much? I'd imagine not.
P
pjmuli
Let me just say that I wish Riley the best. I do think he is a fine athlete, leader, and a great young man. I hope my assessment of his performance on this board did not detract from the tremendous positives he brings to the team and the university.
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
snoscythe wrote:
Translation: medical redshirt and a move to safety/rb/lb. Too bad to see it all end like this as much as we all just wanted it to end somehow someway.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Are medical redshirts allowed when one of the games is a conference game? I am curious. I know a player can play essentially 3 games in a 12 game season to qualify for medical redshirt, but I thought if one of those games was a conference game, then there is no med. redshirt available.



Tough break for Nelson and I hope he does get the redshirt and can play at another position.
S
snoscythe
hypercoug wrote:
Wowzers.



Well, I guess this solves the dual quarterback problem. I hope Riley is granted another year of eligibility with a medical redshirt. Is having played in 3 games too much? I'd imagine not.


I think the cutoff is 25% of games, so he is eligible for medical hardship.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bostoncoug
I agree with Sno. I really wanted the QB carousel to end (admittedly I was hoping for Heaps, but I was hoping for one QB regardless), but I certainly did not want things to end this way. :~(
G
Gunk
Hope he recovers. He's a great competitor.



Guess we know who'll be starting Sat.
Q
QuarterbackU
This is probably a good thing for Riley. My guess is that he would have eventually been used situationally as a QB at BYU for the next two years, now he has a chance to skip this season and find another way to help this team. He is one heck of an athlete and I would love to see him take Thomas and Uale's job next year.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
That sucks. I never like to see anybody get injured. Especially when he was so willing to sacrifice his body for the team. I am truly bummed that we won't see him on the field in a situational role. I was really looking forward to having him play in that capacity.



While I was pulling for Heaps, I would never be happy about news like this. This does not help the team. Hope he gets a medical red shirt and contributes when he gets back.
C
Cougarbib
Not all of us wanted Riley's play at QB to end - although the automatic rotation every series regardless of mementum or situations never made sense to me. But time was needed to bring Jake Heaps along. Quite frankly - he is not there yet. Hopefully, home field advantage, a full week of practice, and a bit more forgiving defense than he has seen in the first three weeks will help him make things click.



I am reminded of all the nonsense posted all summer about Larks and Munns transferring to get playing time and all the nonsense posted this fall about letting Heaps learn on the job full-time from Day 1. Would any of you like to have seen yor prize possession walk off the field with right arm dangling Saturday?



Riley Nelson helped hold things together while Jake Heaps got opportunities to learn and grow against 3 of the 4 best defenses we will face this season. We should be forever indepted to Riley for making that contribution. Who knows what potential Riley had at QB - the two QB rotation and the pathetic play of the supporting cast leaves big questions about both Nelson and Heaps.



I wish Riley Nelson the best and know that he is a gamer that loves BYU. Quite frankly, Jake Heaps seems to me to be a Class Act as well. I wish Jake Heaps the best in this opportunity and time of need for the team. And I hope Lark and Munns have their guns loaded in case they are called upon. I will be very syurprised if one or both don't end up being needed this year because the poor pass protection we are seeing and the need to scramble due to receivers not getting open means Heaps will also continue to take a pounding.



Bronco mentioned more than once that he did not think Nelson would stay healhy taking that pounding and I saw Heaps take a hit right in the face mask Saturday during his time.



Our coahces have their hands full this fall - hopefully the players step up and the fans support them.



Go Cougs
C
craigoscarson
This won't be the last QB surgery if the O-line plays like they did against FSU.
C
CannonCougar85
CougarPeasant wrote:

Are medical redshirts allowed when one of the games is a conference game? I am curious. I know a player can play essentially 3 games in a 12 game season to qualify for medical redshirt, but I thought if one of those games was a conference game, then there is no med. redshirt available.




If that is true then maybe they will give an exception to Nelson since BYU wont have a conference starting next year.
J
jonnylingo
I imagine this had something to do with the playing time Heaps recieved on Saturday.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Well, Bronco knew the kid was hurt, said nothing yesterday, knew he could be out, and still made comments about rotating QBs today. does this mean he plans on giving Lark reps now with Heaps?



Tough break for Riley, though.
W
Wickchad
Lawboy wrote:
Well, Bronco knew the kid was hurt, said nothing yesterday, knew he could be out, and still made comments about rotating QBs today. does this mean he plans on giving Lark reps now with Heaps?



Tough break for Riley, though.


I assume Riley was one of the players getting an MRI yesterday, so Bronco may not have known at the time how severe the injury is.



If he did know and is still playing media games trying to keep the opposing team guessing as to who would play that is probably a waste of time at this point in the season...
C
CAFB_04-12
Lawboy wrote:
Well, Bronco knew the kid was hurt, said nothing yesterday, knew he could be out, and still made comments about rotating QBs today. does this mean he plans on giving Lark reps now with Heaps?



Tough break for Riley, though.

I'm sure he was waiting for the results from the MRI. There were multiple players given MRIs today.
S
snoscythe
CannonCougar85 wrote:

Are medical redshirts allowed when one of the games is a conference game? I am curious. I know a player can play essentially 3 games in a 12 game season to qualify for medical redshirt, but I thought if one of those games was a conference game, then there is no med. redshirt available.


If that is true then maybe they will give an exception to Nelson since BYU wont have a conference starting next year.


Only if it's a game that determines the conference championship--i.e. an actual conference championship game.
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
I imagine this had something to do with the playing time Heaps recieved on Saturday.

Makes you wonder if Nelson and Heaps would have rotated all game long against FSU without the injury? Or if Nelson would have taken over again, just like in the Air Force game? The very thought makes me shudder. Unless Gman is right: http://twitter.com/GurneyTBS/status/25154496742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I must be a bad person because in a way this makes me very happy. The coaches are forced to make the right decision now, without worrying about hurt feelings. This helps the starting QB grow faster, and the OL/WRs/TEs adjust faster.



Lark is the 2nd-string now. I wonder if and when he'll come into any games, and how he'll do in a limited setting.



It must be an odd thought for Heaps now, that now Riley will still be here (potentially) when I'm a Junior. Crazy.



I wonder if Riley will come back as a QB next year, or something else (Safety?). And if he's QB, does he fight Jake for the starter position again? Does he come back in ahead of Lark as the back-up? Lots of question for next season...



http://www.ksl.com/?sid=12521078&nid=272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.