Archived Topic

BYU Basketball Schedule completed

by Mars · 9/21/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=276&sid=7409117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



http://media.bonnint.net/slc/1329/132953/13295392.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.ksl.com/www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/249/24990/2499003.jpg?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://media.bonnint.net/slc/2442/244277/24427760.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
http://media.bonnint.net/slc/2442/244277/24427793.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://media.bonnint.net/slc/1329/132953/13295333.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://media.bonnint.net/slc/2442/244278/24427831.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
http://media.bonnint.net/slc/1329/132950/13295022.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://media.bonnint.net/slc/2442/244278/24427866.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">http://media.bonnint.net/slc/1329/132955/13295527.gif?filter=ksl/sportsicon_60x68" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I am wondering about you experts. Is this schedule an upgrade over prior years? I see 13 good games and 18 bad games. I don't know how that compares.
G
Gunk
It's a definite upgrade. Last season the "marque" (I use the term loosely) teams we played outside of conference play were Utah State, Arizona, Arizona State and UTEP.



Utah State and UTEP were the only two schools we played outside of conference play that ended up in the NCAA tourney last season. Nevada and Arizona made it to the NIT.



This season, not only do we have Utah State, UTEP, and Arizona once again on the schedule, but we've also added UCLA, either St. Mary's or Texas Tech, Creighton, and the ever dominant Fresno Pacific (kidding).



Now UCLA isn't that good, but playing Pac 10 teams is always noteworthy. St. Mary's made it to the Sweet 16 last season, but they lost their big man. Still they're a good, well-known program. Texas Tech went to the NCAA tourney and lost in the first round. I have no idea how "good" they're considered to be this season. Creighton made it to the Sweet 16 last season.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Plus South Florida, Vermont, Hawaii,and Fresno State. Better than a lot of other options.
S
scott715
I only am happy with sub-100 teams and upset with plus-300 teams.
S
smcfan2008
Don't forget about Vermont, who made it to the big dance last year. (lost to Syracuse in the 1st round, no shame in losing to a 1 seed though).



While Creighton ended up in the CIT last year. They made it to the sweet 16 in 06, 08, and 09. Very solid program. I know their coach left this year for Oregon though. I'm excited to see what type of games ESPN will broker for BYU once y'all join the WCC.




Gunk wrote:
It's a definite upgrade. Last season the "marque" (I use the term loosely) teams we played outside of conference play were Utah State, Arizona, Arizona State and UTEP.



Utah State and UTEP were the only two schools we played outside of conference play that ended up in the NCAA tourney last season. Nevada and Arizona made it to the NIT.



This season, not only do we have Utah State, UTEP, and Arizona once again on the schedule, but we've also added UCLA, either St. Mary's or Texas Tech, Creighton, and the ever dominant Fresno Pacific (kidding).



Now UCLA isn't that good, but playing Pac 10 teams is always noteworthy. St. Mary's made it to the Sweet 16 last season, but they lost their big man. Still they're a good, well-known program. Texas Tech went to the NCAA tourney and lost in the first round. I have no idea how "good" they're considered to be this season. Creighton made it to the Sweet 16 last season.
C
Chewie
Mars wrote:


Plus South Florida, Villanova, Hawaii,and Fresno State. Better than a lot of other options.


I guess I am confused I just looked at BYU's schedule and couldn't find Villanova on there. Were you refering to Vermont?
S
scott715
Are we going to have to wait a year to see the 2011 schedule? I would llke to see what we can do with ESPN in our corner.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Chewie wrote:
I guess I am confused I just looked at BYU's schedule and couldn't find Villanova on there. Were you refering to Vermont?

Yeah, my bad.
S
smcfan2008
Well this year WCC plays ooc games on espn with the following teams: st johns, xavier, kentucky, illinois, florida st, oklahoma st, and Memphis. Other noteworthy ooc opponents include: vanderbilt, wake forrest, washington st, (vs portland, gonzaga & santa clara), texas tech, u of s florida/byu, kansas state, duke/marquette, notre dame, and san diego st(vs gonzaga, u of san francisco, san diego, & st marys). Gonzaga had a home and home with duke I think last yr/the yr before. Im sure the addition of byu sweetens the deal substantially.

*Edit + usc, arizona, ucla, fresno st, nevada/uop, utah(vs portland & pepperdine) alabama, miami, nc state, stanford, new mexico, louisville, colorado, washington,




scott715 wrote:
Are we going to have to wait a year to see the 2011 schedule? I would llke to see what we can do with ESPN in our corner.


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
scott715 wrote:
Are we going to have to wait a year to see the 2011 schedule? I would llke to see what we can do with ESPN in our corner.


Hoops programs rarely have all games scheduled 3-4 years in advance. It's common to not have a finalized schedule until late summer, early fall.



Now with ESPN in our corner we might get some 2 for 2s OOC scheduled in the future that we'll know about in advance, but we'll never have an entire schedule figured out before the summer of that year; it's just not how it's done in college hoops.
S
scott715
Maybe they can toss a bone like announce a series with Kentucky or something.
M
mizzoucoug
Man, I really want to be able to watch the games this year. Is anybody planning on streaming the games this year? Maybe I can jump on someone's Slingbox account or something?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.