Archived Topic

False Starts

by Italics · 9/21/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else... maybe I missed it... but is it bugging anyone else how many false starts we've had lately? Particularly against AFA and FSU? I don't remember having such a problem with this in the past, but it's definitely been a problem so far... because of it, Heaps and Nelson had several 1st and 15's to deal with. Wasn't our o-line supposed to be solid? I could see them protecting the QB less than expected, but not being able to even get the ball successfully hiked?
M
Mars
Italics wrote:
Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else... maybe I missed it... but is it bugging anyone else how many false starts we've had lately? Particularly against AFA and FSU? I don't remember having such a problem with this in the past, but it's definitely been a problem so far... because of it, Heaps and Nelson had several 1st and 15's to deal with. Wasn't our o-line supposed to be solid? I could see them protecting the QB less than expected, but not being able to even get the ball successfully hiked?

BYU had only 2 false starts against Florida State, and 5 total penalties for 45 yards.



Florida State has 1 false start, but jumped offsides 4 times on defense. 8 penalties for 65 yards.



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=201009180003&page=plays" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K
kiwibacon
Mars wrote:
Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else... maybe I missed it... but is it bugging anyone else how many false starts we've had lately? Particularly against AFA and FSU? I don't remember having such a problem with this in the past, but it's definitely been a problem so far... because of it, Heaps and Nelson had several 1st and 15's to deal with. Wasn't our o-line supposed to be solid? I could see them protecting the QB less than expected, but not being able to even get the ball successfully hiked?

BYU had only 2 false starts against Florida State, and 5 total penalties for 45 yards.



Florida State has 1 false start, but jumped offsides 4 times on defense. 8 penalties for 65 yards.



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=201009180003&page=plays" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars, that was my impression that we actually had turned it around to fewer false starts and we were actually drawing the defense offsides more than usual. That is what I find interesting that no one is talking about. How were we drawing people offsides so often. Was it the cadence? Were we taking advantage of FSU's "speed" and was Jake drawing them offsides?
B
BroncoBot
kiwibacon wrote:
Italics wrote:
Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else... maybe I missed it... but is it bugging anyone else how many false starts we've had lately? Particularly against AFA and FSU? I don't remember having such a problem with this in the past, but it's definitely been a problem so far... because of it, Heaps and Nelson had several 1st and 15's to deal with. Wasn't our o-line supposed to be solid? I could see them protecting the QB less than expected, but not being able to even get the ball successfully hiked?

BYU had only 2 false starts against Florida State, and 5 total penalties for 45 yards.



Florida State has 1 false start, but jumped offsides 4 times on defense. 8 penalties for 65 yards.



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=201009180003&page=plays" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars, that was my impression that we actually had turned it around to fewer false starts and we were actually drawing the defense offsides more than usual. That is what I find interesting that no one is talking about. How were we drawing people offsides so often. Was it the cadence? Were we taking advantage of FSU's "speed" and was Jake drawing them offsides?

Pretty obvious that the FSU D was doing everything they could to get to the freshman QB. Trying to guess the snap count is all part of that. It worked for the most part.
M
Mars
declocoug wrote:
Pretty obvious that the FSU D was doing everything they could to get to the freshman QB. Trying to guess the snap count is all part of that. It worked for the most part.

Kind of the opposite ideology as "bend but don't break". One series, jump offsides and get a 5-yard penalty, leading to giving up a first down. Next series, time it just right, get a 10-yard sack, and likely kill the drive.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
Pretty obvious that the FSU D was doing everything they could to get to the freshman QB. Trying to guess the snap count is all part of that. It worked for the most part.

Kind of the opposite ideology as "bend but don't break". One series, jump offsides and get a 5-yard penalty, leading to giving up a first down. Next series, time it just right, get a 10-yard sack, and likely kill the drive.

or a fumble/bad throw. All sorts of good stuff happens when the QB is getting badgered all day. Unless it's your QB. I'm sure those FSU off sides were forgotten pretty quickly by their coaches.



One thing Heaps will have to learn is recognizing when to take advantage of the free shot down field when a off sides has happened. Sarkisian was a master of this. He always knew when he had a free play.



When someone jumps off sides and is attempting to get back, shouldn't that play continue if there was no contact? There was one play like this where the refs called it dead and gave BYU 5. shouldn't that play continue?
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else... maybe I missed it... but is it bugging anyone else how many false starts we've had lately? Particularly against AFA and FSU? I don't remember having such a problem with this in the past, but it's definitely been a problem so far... because of it, Heaps and Nelson had several 1st and 15's to deal with. Wasn't our o-line supposed to be solid? I could see them protecting the QB less than expected, but not being able to even get the ball successfully hiked?

BYU had only 2 false starts against Florida State, and 5 total penalties for 45 yards.



Florida State has 1 false start, but jumped offsides 4 times on defense. 8 penalties for 65 yards.



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=201009180003&page=plays" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Are you saying the OP was a false start?? ;)
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Are you saying the OP was a false start?? ;)
This has been another Italics... FALSE START!



~Failed thread brought to you by the EBA (Emo Boys of America).
;)
R
rblack
declocoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:
Pretty obvious that the FSU D was doing everything they could to get to the freshman QB. Trying to guess the snap count is all part of that. It worked for the most part.

Kind of the opposite ideology as "bend but don't break". One series, jump offsides and get a 5-yard penalty, leading to giving up a first down. Next series, time it just right, get a 10-yard sack, and likely kill the drive.

or a fumble/bad throw. All sorts of good stuff happens when the QB is getting badgered all day. Unless it's your QB. I'm sure those FSU off sides were forgotten pretty quickly by their coaches.



One thing Heaps will have to learn is recognizing when to take advantage of the free shot down field when a off sides has happened. Sarkisian was a master of this. He always knew when he had a free play.



When someone jumps off sides and is attempting to get back, shouldn't that play continue if there was no contact? There was one play like this where the refs called it dead and gave BYU 5. shouldn't that play continue?

They blew it dead because they ruled that he had a path to the quarterback. This is one of the exceptions to protect the quarterback. I didn't agree in that instance because the lineman adjusted and blocked him, but that was the ruling on the field.
B
BroncoBot
rblack wrote:
Mars wrote:
Pretty obvious that the FSU D was doing everything they could to get to the freshman QB. Trying to guess the snap count is all part of that. It worked for the most part.

Kind of the opposite ideology as "bend but don't break". One series, jump offsides and get a 5-yard penalty, leading to giving up a first down. Next series, time it just right, get a 10-yard sack, and likely kill the drive.

or a fumble/bad throw. All sorts of good stuff happens when the QB is getting badgered all day. Unless it's your QB. I'm sure those FSU off sides were forgotten pretty quickly by their coaches.



One thing Heaps will have to learn is recognizing when to take advantage of the free shot down field when a off sides has happened. Sarkisian was a master of this. He always knew when he had a free play.



When someone jumps off sides and is attempting to get back, shouldn't that play continue if there was no contact? There was one play like this where the refs called it dead and gave BYU 5. shouldn't that play continue?


They blew it dead because they ruled that he had a path to the quarterback. This is one of the exceptions to protect the quarterback. I didn't agree in that instance because the lineman adjusted and blocked him, but that was the ruling on the field.

I see, thanks for the clarification.
Advertisement
B
bball
The disappointing thing to me is that Reynolds was the big culprit in the AF game, he jumped over and over and over--it was crazy.



I'm still hoping our OL, having been through the fire now for three games, can protect Heaps and allow him to throw for 3-400 yards a game. If he can do that, I guarantee our defense will suddenly start looking waaaay better.
T
tripwire
declocoug wrote:

One thing Heaps will have to learn is recognizing when to take advantage of the free shot down field when a off sides has happened. Sarkisian was a master of this. He always knew when he had a free play.

That is something the receivers need to pick up on too. During one of those instances in the FSU game the problem was that the designed play was all short routes and none of the receivers adjusted and went longer than 5 yards.
I
Italics
and the number against air force? It had to be more than two.
I
Italics
Mars wrote:
Are you saying the OP was a false start?? ;)
This has been another Italics... FALSE START!



~Failed thread brought to you by the EBA (Emo Boys of America).
;)


A for effort

D- for originality

C for delivery

A+ on not copying and pasting your post from cougarboard or scout
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.