Archived Topic

3rd Down

by frdbtr · 9/20/2010

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Typical Wrubell, he nails it. My question is: why are we throwing more on 3rd down this year then last when we have a runner like JJ averaging 7 yards per carry? Read the article before posting.



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=12489212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
Brayden Green
I haven't read the article yet, but...



just kidding. I read it. Our play calling is ridiculous this year, and we don't have the talent to make up for it.
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I haven't read the article yet, but...



just kidding. I read it. Our play calling is ridiculous this year, and we don't have the talent to make up for it.


After reading the article, I get the feeling that someone on the coaching staff (I don't know who to blame) is running the offense in scrimmage mode, instead of doing the right thing to win the game. Why else would we be throwing on 3rd down more this year then last year when our experience at QB is way less then it was last year? It just doesn't make sense. Our strength this year is the running game, and we aren't utilizing it when it counts most.



Another thought. I am so sick and tired of not using play action in our offense. If you are going to throw on 3rd down, why not fake it to JJ anyway(or at least sometimes)? It seems like Anae has forgotten everything he has learned over the last 6 years and is calling plays like he did in 2005. Unless of course, Max was audibling out of his plays mostly over the last few years making it look like he was calling a good game.
L
Lawboy
First off, in order to play action, the QB needs to be under center for it to work best. Jake was under center I think 1 play in the 2nd half last game? Max was almost exclusively in the spread, and Beck was under center much more than Max. And Riley was pretty much never under center when he plays at all. I think the idea is a great one, but would be a big switch in styles over the last 3 years. But I think we need to do it. We will be more effective under center with this team.



Next, play action works best when the running game is working and in short yardage. Going power, under center helps that also. Less delays, less misdirection, just down block and drive. With the size we have, we ought to try it more. Our guys are BIG.



I think when Jake plays, for the rest of this year we need to focus on him being under center more, use the power game more and then play action more. I think we need to try to get into 3rd and short situations where we can be more effective this year. 3rd and long, we are really bad this year, not explosive BYU football of the past. Too inexperienced. I think we need to be happy with 200 yard passing days if we can get 170 on the ground this year and chew up clock. It worked in the UW game. It should be a model for winning in 2010.
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
First off, in order to play action, the QB needs to be under center for it to work best. Jake was under center I think 1 play in the 2nd half last game? Max was almost exclusively in the spread, and Beck was under center much more than Max. And Riley was pretty much never under center when he plays at all. I think the idea is a great one, but would be a big switch in styles over the last 3 years. But I think we need to do it. We will be more effective under center with this team.



Next, play action works best when the running game is working and in short yardage. Going power, under center helps that also. Less delays, less misdirection, just down block and drive. With the size we have, we ought to try it more. Our guys are BIG.



I think when Jake plays, for the rest of this year we need to focus on him being under center more, use the power game more and then play action more. I think we need to try to get into 3rd and short situations where we can be more effective this year. 3rd and long, we are really bad this year, not explosive BYU football of the past. Too inexperienced. I think we need to be happy with 200 yard passing days if we can get 170 on the ground this year and chew up clock. It worked in the UW game. It should be a model for winning in 2010.


You are right, play action works best when starting under center. Max used to fake it to Unga out of the shotgun and also they run from the shotgun a lot so you can still fake it to a RB and then throw, it will freeze the defense a little, especially when JJ averages 7 yards per run.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Personally, I think we are not diverse enough in our formations. When we line up in the I-formation we generally run. When we go shotgun we throw. I think we would do better to have on base formation that we run most of our offense out of. Instead it seems our offense is somewhat predictable based on formation and personnel.
Q
QuarterbackU
you have to pass on third and 8+ generally, maybe an occasional screen or draw play but we're not managing down and distance well.
F
frdbtr
QuarterbackU wrote:
you have to pass on third and 8+ generally, maybe an occasional screen or draw play but we're not managing down and distance well.


In the article, Wrubell points out that our down and distance (as a matter of percentage), has not been worse then last year.
Q
QuarterbackU
Interesting, maybe Anae is smoking crack or drinking too much cava before the games this year.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.