I was at the game and sat right behind the BYU bench. We got there 1.5 hours before the game and watched the guys warm up, and we saw some stuff not being covered too much, and talked to some people in the know about things not being reported. I think the QB situation will be cleared up sooner than people think for 2 reasons. The first is that Riley is hurt. He has an injured finger on his throwing hand. It was taped up in warm ups and he was throwing some ugly passes as a result of it. He tried hard to get ready and go, but you could just tell it limited him, and it showed in his early passing reps in the game. I heard that it was broken from one source, that it was not from another. Regardless, it affected his abilities. The other thing is that the injury was a factor in game prep for FSU. Heaps got 75% of the reps last week--this from the mouth of a guy who attends every BYU practice (not me), and who introduced me to Steve Heaps after the game. I think the coaches were trying to get Jake ready to go all week, and I expect more of the same this week. Finger injuries on a passing hand takes weeks to heal.
Second thing is that too many fans are underestimating the injury to Matt Reynolds. He went down with an ankle injury on the TD pass play right at the end of half 1. He tried playing 1 series in the second half, but could not move and got Jake sacked as a result, so he sat the rest of the game. After that, our O line blocking was poor, and FSU attacked us from where Reynolds was and the line did not hold up. All pressure came from that blind side. Having Reynolds out killed our flow because Jake had almost no time to pass. 7 sacks given up by a BYU line is 5 too many, and 5 happened in that 2nd half. Matt Reynolds had his ankle taped up and was walking on crutches after the game. I hope he is ready to go because he is a huge presence on that line, and a steady force that was missed in the 2nd half last week. Guys were getting open, Jake just did not have time to see it. With more time to throw, we will see more success.
McKay Jacobsen said he thought the team was close on offense and just needs more reps in practice to work out timing issues. He was really frustrated, but hopeful it would get worked out. We take for granted having a QB get all prep reps the last 3 years and how that helped the O gel. I think this week might be the first where that happens for BYU this year. I think we go Jake 100% v. Nevada for preparation reasons, and because Riley is truly limited with an injury.