Archived Topic

Jake's Attitude: Winner

by Mars · 9/20/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


"We've got 10 games (remaining), so we're going to win those 10 games," he said. "There's no doubt in our demeanor in what we have to do as a team. This isn't something where we throw in the towel. I mean, there's no way. This team's going to fight. This team's going to battle. We're going to get after it. We're going to come back and we're going to make some changes ... and we're going to fix (the problems). From here, the plan is to go 10-0. That's all I know and that's all I know my team is thinking right now. So the plan is, let's go 10-0. I think we can do that."



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700066950/Pack-of-problems-ahead-for-hopeful-Cougs.html?pg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J
jonnylingo
Love his attitude. The team just needs to find itself and gel together.
G
Gunk
And this guy isn't a leader? :roll:



Bronco/Anae, do we have to set up neon signs?
O
OhYePoorFools
You know, I like his optimism, but it seems to me that he may be too afraid of controversy. After giving up 8 sacks, Heaps is talking about how his O line is the best in the country. I can't see McMahon or Max Hall doing that--and quite frankly, I think that is one element BYU is missing: a tough, in your face, cocky leader.



To his credit he is only a freshman, but you know, I would love to see him in the face of someone after a stupid play; a dropped ball, a blown protection, etc.



We need to get meaner if we have any hope of beating TCU and Utah which would be the only saving grace to what is emerging as a truly rotten season.
J
jonnylingo
OhYePoorFools wrote:
You know, I like his optimism, but it seems to me that he may be too afraid of controversy. After giving up 8 sacks, Heaps is talking about how his O line is the best in the country. I can't see McMahon or Max Hall doing that--and quite frankly, I think that is one element BYU is missing: a tough, in your face, cocky leader.



To his credit he is only a freshman, but you know, I would love to see him in the face of someone after a stupid play; a dropped ball, a blown protection, etc.



We need to get meaner if we have any hope of beating TCU and Utah which would be the only saving grace to what is emerging as a truly rotten season.


Give him time. also the season is not over yet. If we somehow pull out a win this saturday there will be plenty to be optimistic about.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think we all forgot that we still have UNLV, UNM, CSU, Wyoming on schedule, along with USU and SDSU and Nevada. Those are 7 very winnable games. TCU and Utah look tough as of today, but not impossible. Regardless, we are still looking 8-4 or 7-5 this year, as we expected. I know we all hoped for another 10 win season, but it is probably not a reality. I think Bronco and staff have earned the right for the fans to be patient with them and the team this year over the last 5 years. And wit ha young team, the thing they need is the home crowd to lift them up emotionally, so I hope the crowd shows up to represent v. Nevada. Win that, be 2-2 with some momentum, and I think we are all happy with the progress. A game at LES will be just what the doctor orders for this team.
G
Guest
If I were Jake I would work on getting my passes on better target, improved pocket timing, etc. before I started getting up in the face of other players for also making mistakes, otherwise his leadership could backfire pretty quickly.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
If I were Jake I would work on getting my passes on better target, improved pocket timing, etc. before I started getting up in the face of other players for also making mistakes, otherwise his leadership could backfire pretty quickly.


I agree. Jake is in no position to start giving others grief. Not to mention it would be totally moronic given the fact that he hasn't even fully landed the starting spot yet. Nothing like some inappropriate attitude to get you benched quickly with bronoco as your coach.



max earned the right to talk smack. jake has not done that yet.



Jake's attitude is right where it should be right now.
B
bball
A couple of observations:



1) Heaps throws a very hard ball, just about always. He probably should take a little off some of those passes, like the swing pass to a back, or short pass over the middle; those throws don't need to be 100 mph fastballs.

2) Heaps must, and does, throw a very hard ball on out routes, longer passes, and when he's squeezing it in between defensive players (like his TD pass on Saturday), and the receivers had better start catching these balls. Heaps "heat" is one way he avoids interceptions, and if the receivers will catch the ball, these should translate into yardage, first downs, and touchdowns.

3) If the offense could have sustained drives in either of the last two games, then the defense doesn't have to spend the entire game on the field, and if the offense drives the field and scores a couple of times, and AFA and FSU have a few fewer offensive possessions, then the defense doesn't give up nearly so many yards, BYU is in the game, and has a chance to win. But with the offense spending so little time on the field, the defense gets worn down, tired, and naturally gives up more yards.

4) If the receivers drop only half the balls (they shouldn't drop any), BYU gets more first downs, sustains some drives, scores more, the defense looks better, and BYU is competitive and in a position to win. I put the poor offensive performance squarely on the shoulders of the receivers.

5) Heaps must learn to get rid of the ball, into the stands if nobody is open. He cannot expect the Oline to hold forever (though I thought their pass protection against FSU was awful), but he's a competitor, he wants yards out of every play.

6) It appeared that receivers were rarely open in the FSU game. I find this hard to believe, and totally unacceptable. It's either poor routes or poor schemes. The reason Heaps got sacked six times was he had nobody to throw to. BYU has never had the all-world, speedster receivers, not ever, but we've always gotten people open--against anybody, Miami, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, anybody. So whatever is wrong here needs to get fixed immediately. I don't think Heaps is the problem, he's looking at all his receivers and nobody is open.



Finally, if the coaches don't start Heaps against Nevada (and everybody else), I'm not sure we have a winning season this year. I simply don't believe we can win with Nelson. BYU is not an option team. If receivers don't drop any balls this year, Heaps passing percentage is in the 60s, which is not bad for a freshman.
S
snoscythe
bball wrote:
Heaps passing percentage is in the 60s, which is not bad for a freshman.


His attempts are in the 60s (he's had 60 attempts), but his completion percentage is an even 50% (30 completions).
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
OhYePoorFools wrote:
You know, I like his optimism, but it seems to me that he may be too afraid of controversy. After giving up 8 sacks, Heaps is talking about how his O line is the best in the country. I can't see McMahon or Max Hall doing that--and quite frankly, I think that is one element BYU is missing: a tough, in your face, cocky leader.

A good leader and quarterback would never throw his o-line under the bus in public. In private, however, there may be different conversations. If he publicly dressed down his o-line they would stop blocking for him. It would be game over for Heaps this year.
I
Italics
Mars wrote:


"We've got 10 games (remaining), so we're going to win those 10 games," he said. "There's no doubt in our demeanor in what we have to do as a team. This isn't something where we throw in the towel. I mean, there's no way. This team's going to fight. This team's going to battle. We're going to get after it. We're going to come back and we're going to make some changes ... and we're going to fix (the problems). From here, the plan is to go 10-0. That's all I know and that's all I know my team is thinking right now. So the plan is, let's go 10-0. I think we can do that."



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700066950/Pack-of-problems-ahead-for-hopeful-Cougs.html?pg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I don't hate Nelson. I honestly don't - and many people may think that I do. Regardless, I'll say this: BYU will continue to lose the majority of their games if Nelson continues to lead entire series for BYU. I was very excited by what I saw in Heaps on saturday, and I want to see more. There, I said it.
F
Florwood
bball wrote:
A couple of observations:

3) If the offense could have sustained drives in either of the last two games, then the defense doesn't have to spend the entire game on the field, and if the offense drives the field and scores a couple of times, and AFA and FSU have a few fewer offensive possessions, then the defense doesn't give up nearly so many yards, BYU is in the game, and has a chance to win. But with the offense spending so little time on the field, the defense gets worn down, tired, and naturally gives up more yards.


I wasn't tuned in the whole game, but I would disagree with this for the FSU game. Time of possession the first half was nearly dead even, and we had two sustained offensive drives to end the half. Should have been enough rest, but the defense got worked FSU's first two drives to open the second half, and the game seems hopeless 17 points behind instead of 3. FSU only scored once more, so their scoring primarily came against a rested-enough defense.
M
Mars
Florwood wrote:
I would disagree with this for the FSU game. Time of possession the first half was nearly dead even, and we had two sustained offensive drives to end the half. Should have been enough rest, but the defense got worked FSU's first two drives to open the second half, and the game seems hopeless 17 points behind instead of 3. FSU only scored once more, so their scoring primarily came against a rested-enough defense.

True.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.