Archived Topic

Is Nevada a Must Win?

by SpiffCoug · 9/19/2010

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think it is. If we lose, we're 1-3 and looking a very difficult road game against Utah State. You are what your record says you are. If we lose to the Woflpack you know the Aggies are going to be pumped to play us and they might be catching us at the right time. Throw in a game against SDSU who could challenge us as well and BYU could be 2-4 heading into the TCU game.



This season could very easily start to get away from us and 1-3 is the next step in that happening.
B
BigCougsFan
All games are a must win!



It'll be mid-Oct before we reach .500
F
frdbtr
A must win against the best offensive team of the 3 we have already played. We are going to be 1-3 going into the utah state game and possibly 1-4 after it if we don't figure out how to get better in a hurry. I realized yesterday that BYU is just not good right now. The offense is horrible, the defense is undisciplined and gives up big plays. The special teams played well though (Hmmm personally coached by Bronco). Maybe with Riley's hand injury, it will force them to scrap the 2 qb system and give the ball to Heaps so he can be more prepared for Nevada.
B
byutx
Can an almost certain loss against what is likely the best team we will have played this far be considered a must win game? I dunno. IMO we only have 3-4 must win games: CSU, UNM, Wyo, UNLV. Maybe you can include SDSU and USU in that one. I don't.
C
Cougarbib
Utah will be a MUST WIN game. Otherwise it will be a long off season for fans having to listen to loads of crap.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Utah will be a MUST WIN game. Otherwise it will be a long off season for fans having to listen to loads of crap.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
After watching our defensive ineptitude the last 2 games, and watching Nevada pouring it on against Cal, I'm very worried about this game. Hill and Bronco had better teach our boys how to tackle in a big hurry, or it could be a long afternoon in LES next Saturday...
K
kfilly20
Not a must win obviously, a must win implies that if we lose we our season is over ( playoffs, Utah game, etc ..) This is an " I would like to win, but wouldn't be shocked if we didn't." game. I'm still saying 8-4 for the season.
S
SpiffCoug
kfilly20 wrote:
Not a must win obviously, a must win implies that if we lose we our season is over ( playoffs, Utah game, etc ..) This is an " I would like to win, but wouldn't be shocked if we didn't." game. I'm still saying 8-4 for the season.

I think it's a must win because if we lose, then there is a slim to none chance we go 8-4. If we lose to Nevada, then 7-5 almost becomes the best case scenario.
C
CougarPeasant
I say must win. The offense and defense have a lot to prove after the last two games. UNR is a solid team that will test where this team really is. Fortunately, it is a home game so no lost time due to travel (and perhaps UNR will fly in in the morning because they failed to schedule hotels in advance).



If they do lose, then that means SDSU will come in believing they can win and USU will be expecting to win too. Even CSU will think they can beat us later in the season. That could be very bad.



I see Heaps being prepped to start against UNR. I see Bronco getting invovled on the defense to make sure they are ready for the pistol. And this is the game that the receivers come out of hiding and establish their presence. I hope also that a TE emerges as an effective weapon for BYU's offense.



Witihout a win on Saturday, this team could sink to below .500 for the season. That would be bad.
Advertisement
I
Italics
We need to beat Nevada. If we can pull it together and win the games we "should" win, I think it's still possible to win the rest of our games in conference (except TCU) and then have a more EXPERIENCED BYU team beat Yewtah at the end of the season to finish 9-3. That is, of course, an absolute best case scenario - as opposed to winning the rest of our games, which just ain't happening folks.
C
CAFB_04-12
Utah is the only "must win" for me.



Everything else is a "better win or else..."
J
jrhinomo
I was at the Cal-NV game and Cal's QB Kevin Riley missed lots of open receivers. Also, Cal's defense, much like BYU's yesterday, missed tons of tackles. I was blown away by how well Kaepernick played. He made great reads on the option and passed better than he ever has. I take confidence that NV is renowned for playing poorly on the road. For example, CSU beat NV at home last year and hasn't won a game since. Having said all of this, if we play like we have the last 2 second halves we will lose.
B
Brayden Green
I'm too used to Kittics polls, I don't know how to answer this open-ended question.



BYU MUST WIN

or

NEVADA MUST LOSE



choose one...



(Only in fun, Kittic - nothin but love here...)
B
Brayden Green
On a serious note, any other year this would be a must win. But in a rebuilding year, with all the boneheaded mistakes they have already made, most games are in the "please win" category for me, and not the must win.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Early score prediction: BYU 27, Nevada 48



I actually really liked a lot of things BYU showed against Florida State, even in a disappointing blow-out loss.



My two "must wins" are Utah State/SDSU right now. Because both are losable, but we can't afford to lose them.
J
jonnylingo
I hate to say it but i think we will lose to nevada unless something really changed with our offense.



to beat them we will have to have a shoot out because they will put up at least 50 on us. I don't think our defense is better than cal.



normally i would say our d would handle someone like this well but we are not assignment sound like we normally are, hence the air force blow out.



i am always hopeful that home field and .... something else will change and we will win, but logically this looks like its going to be ugly. they are better offensively than anybody we have played so far. they will put up more than 35 on us. can we outscore them? probably not.



its hard to even stomach that i am saying this about nevada at home but we just have a long ways to go as a team.



its not a must win, but i agree that utah state and sdsu are must wins. then a miracle will happen and we will beat tcu :crazy:
Y
Y12
It always has been a must win. The poor start and Nevada's betrayal have only added to it.
L
Lawboy
With a young team, we need some wins to keep things positive. We also need a confidence boost in a big way because we are about to go young the rest of the way. With young teams come better play at home, lesser play on the road. I expect the same this Saturday. BYU will show up, be MUCH more physical on both sides of the ball, and represent well. I have faith in the coaches to get the guys ready for a home game.
I
imuakahuku
BigCougsFan wrote:
All games are a must win!



It'll be mid-Oct before we reach .500


I agree. Every game is must win. From prestige to boosters to the players themselves. The idea that it is okay to lose is an attitude that Bronco has been trying to exterminate and if it gets reintroduced under the guise of "young players" then I would be concerned. e.g. Duke has had some very senior classes but still sits almost every year at the bottom of the ACC. Where little is expected, little is gained. I don't see Bronco allowing this to happen but I also don't want to see players conceeding games to teams like TCU and Utah and even Nevada.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.