Archived Topic

Thoughts from Tallahassee

by Lawboy · 9/19/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
So I was at the game today and got there early and stayed late. Have some stuff to report that I saw after the game, etc.



First off, the BYU contingent was maybe 10k at the game. Not a bad turnout. Crowd was loud late in the first half when BYU played well. Was suppsed to sit 67 rows up, but ended up sitting 8 rows up on the 5 yard line behind the BYU bench. Had some great views. Linette Chambers and family was 2 rows ahead of us and the Chambers clan had a great turnout with some cool family t-shirts. Really nice people.



As to Matt Reynolds, when he went out, we stopped moving the ball. Jake got sacked a ton when Matt could not go and that gave Jake no real time to look downefield. Matt was on crutches after the game with his ankle wrapped, but he was walking on the crutches to the team bus. He looked to be not too happy. Tried saying hello, but he was distracted. In fact, many players looked unahppy about the loss, and I liked seeeing that fact.



Talked to Kyle Van Noy and jake Heaps for a second after. Good kids. Talked with jake's dad for about 45 minutes, and he is a really nice guy. Was pleased Jake got to play more, but said he still is on a learning curve, but will work hard to get better. Riley does have a injured finger on his throwing hand, had it taped up, and it was bohthering him in warm ups. He looked at it a lot. From what I jeard from Jake's dad, Jake got 75% of the reps in practice last week, so I think the plan was to play him more this game. He also mentioned that Jake prefers to play under center, and hopes BYU uses it more because we are really successful in that formation, but did not use it in the 2nd half. I thought that was a good observation. We ran and threw it better from an under center position with jake.



Brian Logan has a minor tear of his roatator cuff and could be out a while. Heard that from my cousin, who is a team doc for BYU. Brian was not happy after the game, but was still courteous. Corby Eason was there holding his son after the game and it looked really nice. His son gave us fives. Might be like 3. No sure about Steve Thomas injury. Forgot to ask. Zac Stout was icing both knees walking to the bus.



FSU fans were very courteous to BYU fans. Christian Ponder made statements this week about how nice BYU fans were to teh team last year and asked teh fans to return the favor--and they did. I had at least 10 people thank us for coming--before and after teh game--and they were freindly. Made for a nice experience.



Talked to Elder Xavier Sua Filo. He is serving in Tallahassee. Great kid. Been out for 7 months says he missed football, but happy to be serving. Sais he loves UCLA and plans on going back as long as the coaches are still there when he is done serving. Many BYU players and caoches chatted with him for a while and it looked very friendly.



We are young, but we played better than last week. Tackling needs to improve, passing game needs to improve, but both will. We will be better in November, count on it. This team wants to get better. Starting next week.
B
BigCougsFan
Lawboy wrote:
Talked to Elder Xavier Sua Filo. He is serving in Tallahassee. Great kid. Been out for 7 months says he missed football, but happy to be serving. Sais he loves UCLA and plans on going back as long as the coaches are still there when he is done serving. Many BYU players and caoches chatted with him for a while and it looked very friendly.


I don't know if that should be mentioned again. Since the "Riley rule" -- BYU could get in trouble IF the coaches were talking to him.
L
Lawboy
BigCougsFan wrote:
Talked to Elder Xavier Sua Filo. He is serving in Tallahassee. Great kid. Been out for 7 months says he missed football, but happy to be serving. Sais he loves UCLA and plans on going back as long as the coaches are still there when he is done serving. Many BYU players and caoches chatted with him for a while and it looked very friendly.


I don't know if that should be mentioned again. Since the "Riley rule" -- BYU could get in trouble IF the coaches were talking to him.


Just said hello to Caoch Reynolds, whose kisds played at Timpview with him, and he hung at that house in HS. No long conversations I saw. Mainly he talked to fans, including me and my two brothers. Nothing improper happened. Like I said, Xavier loves UCLA.
C
CAFB_04-12
I'd like to echo how great the FSU fans were to us at the stadium. Lots of people shook our hands and welcomed us to FSU. Far cry from the treatment we get at RES.



It was hotter than hell out there today. Water was $3 and Powerade was $4. Didn't price the hotdogs. :D



Overall the team looked slow and unmotivated, except for the drive before half and JJ pretty much the entire game. He played like a champion today.



Overall, I'm glad I blew that $50 on my ticket.
D
Ddawg
Good insights & reports. Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts & impressions!!!!

8)
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Somebody started a post about too much depth. All summer I read posts about fans wanting to play Texas or Notre Dame every week. Did anyone else notice the body count today. I think about this every time fans talk about Lsrk and Munns transferring to get PT. Nelson was apparently sporting a finger injury before the game and went off the field with his right arm hanging due to a stinger. Heaps was sacked five times and took a hard hit to the facemask. We might need all 4 QBs this year if blocking doesn't get better.



Speaking of blocking Reynolds had the flu last week and was injured this week. I hope we have depth on the OL, especially if he goes NFZl early.



Bodies were all over the field.



Someone posted a petition not to play ACC teams. We should not be traveling two timezones to play anyone.



Everyone wants a quick fix. You can't fix experience quick.



Patience.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Powerade was $4.


I thought that since Florida has Gator-ade that Florida State would be selling Seminole Fluid?
T
tripwire
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I'd like to echo how great the FSU fans were to us at the stadium. Lots of people shook our hands and welcomed us to FSU. Far cry from the treatment we get at RES.

I'll add to that as well. I was very impressed with their fans. For one of those reasons that it's hard to describe I never like Florida State, I came away with a better impression. I was surprised that the stadium wasn't full though.

A bunch of Florida State fans also told me that when they traveled to Provo last year that the BYU fans there were the best they have ever dealt with. That was nice to hear.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.