Archived Topic

Jake Locker

by SpiffCoug · 9/19/2010

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Anyone see Jake Locker's line today:

4 completions 20 attempts, 71 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. 46.32 rating. So much for increased accuracy. Anyone think he's not an NFL QB let alone worthy of the #1 pick? It'll be interesting to see how Kiper spins this one.
S
snoscythe
I loved when ESPNU did a score update during the BYU game and the highlight guy said something to the effect of "Todd McShay loves him, but I like Martinez."



Jake Locker is an impoverished man's Matt Leinart--lots of hype and gifts, but less than zero fire or determination to get things done.
G
Guest
at least he's got that baseball deal...
R
Raiderboy
Now that we're all feeling down, pour it on the only guy that's a bigger loser than we are. I love it!
K
kfilly20
I'm sure the raiders will be willing to take a chance on him
Advertisement
I
Isola
I live in Washington and I feel a little bad for the Husky program. They are a once proud program on really hard times, but the fans are loyal still. I really feel bad for them, so I am not relishing Locker's failure.



But I think he may actually be one of the weak links on this Husky team, or at least on offense. Think about it. Polk and Callier are studs at RB. Kearse is a beast receiver. And their O-line can't be bad seeing as the RB's average 5.8 and 8.6, so they can obviously open holes. I am starting to think that instead of Locker being the star, he is the weak link.



Yet I get the feeling that he is going to be like the restaurant that keeps failing under new ownership. Willingham had two years with him, to no avail, now in the second year under Sark without any real success, and I would bet money that at least one NFL franchise would take a chance on him because of his potential, but I would be surprised if it turned out differently. Too bad. He seems like a good kid.
I
Isola
I felt a little bad having a Locker thread on a BYU board, but I popped over to the St. Louis Rams Board to see what they were saying about Kehl, and even they have a Locker thread.
C
Cougarbib
Locker looked as bad against Top 10 Nebraska as Max Hall looked against TCU and Utah last year. Must be tough having BYU and Syeacuse as your easy non-conference games. Locker is over-hyped, but UW will win some games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
UW got a ton of mileage out of beating USC at their place last year. It signaled that Sark was a coach on the rise and that Locker had arrived.



Turns out it was a fluke, but in the meantime UW has put together one hell of a 2010-11 recruiting class. You gotta wonder how many of those kids are thinking twice about it.



Sadly, even if guys like Kasen Williams and Sefarian-Jenkins rethunk their commitments, BYU and their anemic offense right now would not be terribly appealing.



Thank goodness our recruiting class is basically done and that we've got a pretty good grip on the guys that have committed to us.



I for one am enjoying seeing UW flounder. They recruit against us and they have tried to take credit for 1984 and as QB U. There is no chance that Locker wins the Heisman and a better chance that UW doesn't even go bowling.



Is there a chance that Kiffin and Sark rode the coattails of USCs talent, Norm Chow, and Pete Carroll and never actually had the chops for head coaching? Looks like it.



Locker shoudl have left last year when people would have drafted him top 5 based on potential and talent. I'm not sure he's a 1st rounder now, he just can't play quarterback.



The roof the roof the roof is on fire......
C
Cougarbib
C O S C



In another post u prophesied our boy Heaps lighting up MWC bottom feeders later this year- and he probably will do it.



Locker, unfortunately, gets a road game to Provo, and home games VS Syracuse and Nebraska before starting the PAC 10 meat grinder.



He looked fine against Syracuse, mediocre, but not horrible against us as his team self-destructed all around him and looked horrible VS Top 10 Nebraska.



I am not a big Jake Locker fan. He will have his moments this year. I have never thought him worthy to be a no 1 pick or even a first round pick - still don't.



Before u write Sark off as a head coach - this is year 2 - and UW continues to play ridiculous schedules.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Cougarbib2 wrote:
C O S C



In another post u prophesied our boy Heaps lighting up MWC bottom feeders later this year- and he probably will do it.



Locker, unfortunately, gets a road game to Provo, and home games VS Syracuse and Nebraska before starting the PAC 10 meat grinder.



He looked fine against Syracuse, mediocre, but not horrible against us as his team self-destructed all around him and looked horrible VS Top 10 Nebraska.



I am not a big Jake Locker fan. He will have his moments this year. I have never thought him worthy to be a no 1 pick or even a first round pick - still don't.



Before u write Sark off as a head coach - this is year 2 - and UW continues to play ridiculous schedules.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Did you see the UW game yesterday?



You're right about 2nd yr, etc., but look at UWs schedule this season and their current results and tell me they're better than a 7-6 team this year.



Considering the fact that UW fans were thinking Rose Bowl with Locker finally blossoming as a senior... then you have to think they've failed. (He hasn't blossomed and Sark was supposed to be the qb guru)
I
Italics
Jake Locker reminds me of a Riley Nelson who can run the ball better and throw the ball slightly better.
C
Cougarbib
As I stated elsewhere, how did Max Hall look Vs good defenses like TCU and Utah. UW fans, Luke BYU fans, were overly optimistic. Not many expected UW to beat Nebraska, though. They did expect to beat BYU in Provo and had several shots at doing so. Their D could not shut down our two headed monster even though everyone else has no problem shutting it down- the road makes a big difference.



UW fans expected to be 2-1 this year at this point and barely missed it IMHO. They will not be in the Rose Bowl by any stretch. On a neutral field they would beat BYU right now.



We will hopefully improve. UW will only have 1 easy game - WSU.



Hopefully they have a winning season and go to a very minor Bowl



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
I just hope Purple Reign doesn't jump off the Evergreen Bridge



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Italics wrote:
Jake Locker reminds me of a Riley Nelson who can run the ball better and throw the ball slightly better.

Riley's a better passer than Locker.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
On another post today you indicated and backed up with stats that passing efficiency is the most correlated stat with wins at BYU. If we take the liberty of generalizing, how do Nelson and Licker stack up. I think Locker prevails but I don't know. Compare 2010. Locker did get an easier second opponent, but we apparently got a weaker game 1 defense to play against.



You can't make much out of three games stats, and I gave no idea how good Nelson is. Locker has been around longer and I agree he I'd overhyped by media and his fans. Heaps is worse than either, but as a true freshman he has to have more improvement on the way.



QB isn't the biggest problem at UW or at BYZu.



I talked to 6 if Cal Bears at the airport and asked if Nevada was for real. He said Cal had a bad game. I told him BYU had had two in a row and wished him luck.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Locker does prevail (after looking it up). So to be consistent, I retract my statement. Locker in 2010 is about 127 and Nelson at 104.



And it's not just limited to BYU. Go look at any team in the NCAA, if they win games, they're going to throw the ball effectively. The magic number is around 140. You reach 140 in passer rating, you win about 80% of the time.
C
Cougarbib
I had to give you a hard time on that because I respect your posts. I am sitting at LAX wearing a UW visor autographed by my best friend's son #31 in your program and #1 in my heart and confusing the Cal Bear player I met cuz I am wearing the visor but talking about Nevada and BYU. Anyway I agree that Locker is over-hyped and I would not waste a 1st round pick on him - I would find some sucker that was willing to trade up for my pick.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I had to give you a hard time on that because I respect your posts. I am sitting at LAX wearing a UW visor autographed by my best friend's son #31 in your program and #1 in my heart and confusing the Cal Bear player I met cuz I am wearing the visor but talking about Nevada and BYU. Anyway I agree that Locker is over-hyped and I would not waste a 1st round pick on him - I would find some sucker that was willing to trade up for my pick.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Why are you wearing a visor, especially indoors at night? Just wondering ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Great question. Since it is a keepsake from a friend I didn't want to jam it in my luggage. Maybe I will turn it backwards so no one thinks I have a drug problem.



G



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.