Archived Topic

Buy Heaps a new watch, buy receivers a jack hammer

by Wickchad · 9/19/2010

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Heaps needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker against a dominant pass rush. He needs that internal clock that they talk about great quarterbacks having. Max Hall had the same problem holding the ball too long and getting creamed when he first started. What happened to Anae's offensive scheme where the ball left the quarterback's hand before the rush could get there. That seems to be forgotten about over the years.



The receivers need to remove the concrete blocks tied to their feet so they can actually get open. I wished I could see what was going on down field, but the camera angles rarely let you see who was getting open. It would be interesting to hear from people who went to the game if receivers were open but Heaps missed them, or if there really was no where to go with the ball.
M
MTM
I said a few weeks ago that I think the only thing Heaps would need to work through is the speed of the college game. Nothing he had experienced prior could fully prepare him for it. He's going to have some growing pains.
W
wahdee
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Heaps needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker against a dominant pass rush. He needs that internal clock that they talk about great quarterbacks having. Max Hall had the same problem holding the ball too long and getting creamed when he first started. What happened to Anae's offensive scheme where the ball left the quarterback's hand before the rush could get there. That seems to be forgotten about over the years.



The receivers need to remove the concrete blocks tied to their feet so they can actually get open. I wished I could see what was going on down field, but the camera angles rarely let you see who was getting open. It would be interesting to hear from people who went to the game if receivers were open but Heaps missed them, or if there really was no where to go with the ball.


There were people getting open but when the d line is all converging around Jake I believe he had a hard time seeing the underneath receivers that seemed to be open( at least from my angle on the 59th row Section 14). BTW Lavell and his wife were there on row 57 right in front of us. Toughed out the heat and humidity very well. Totally cool to root right along with them! All in all it is going to be a long year, but the future definetely looks bright.
S
snoscythe
Yeah, Heaps got sacked and stripped more than a veteran hooker. We are going to need to handle the speed rush late in the game, or else we aren't going to be doing much against TCU and Utah. I wish I could blame it on Reynolds going down, but the heat was getting to him before and after Reynolds went out, and it was coming from every point on the line.



Maybe heat/humidity?
C
CAFB_04-12
wahdee wrote:
BTW Lavell and his wife were there on row 57 right in front of us. Toughed out the heat and humidity very well. Totally cool to root right along with them! All in all it is going to be a long year, but the future definetely looks bright.

I was *this* close to saying "hi coach!" but thought, surely the real LaVell Edwards would have a presidential suite or something. His cougar club membership got him a better seat than me though!



It was great to see him enjoying the game!
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Heaps needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker against a dominant pass rush. He needs that internal clock that they talk about great quarterbacks having. Max Hall had the same problem holding the ball too long and getting creamed when he first started. What happened to Anae's offensive scheme where the ball left the quarterback's hand before the rush could get there. That seems to be forgotten about over the years.



The receivers need to remove the concrete blocks tied to their feet so they can actually get open. I wished I could see what was going on down field, but the camera angles rarely let you see who was getting open. It would be interesting to hear from people who went to the game if receivers were open but Heaps missed them, or if there really was no where to go with the ball.


Thats what I was wondering. They didn't show the downfield so we couldn't see if people were getting open or even any seperation from their defenders. And were they running mostly man or zone? Anyways, I liked what I saw out of Jake, he needs to work on where to move in the pocket and when and where to roll when it begins collapsing. I'm sure he is aware of that and is probably good at it just not at this speed yet. There were a few times I thought, this is the perfect situation for when Riley could come in. Especially if they work a few passes in there where an RB or a TE release and everyone is thinking run because of short yardage.
M
mcgregor
snoscythe wrote:
Yeah, Heaps got sacked and stripped more than a veteran hooker.




Awesome. EXACTLY what I needed this Sunday morning.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.