Archived Topic

FSU-equivalent of first fall camp scrimmage

by byutx · 9/18/2010

Advertisement
B
byutx
I am stoked that the coaches finally figured it out and picked the (right) quarterback. This was the first week any QB got a starter's reps in practice and the most a QB has gotten in a game. Today represents, in my mind, more or less where we should have been offensively after our first week or so of fall camp (with, of course, some major differences in terms of game experience).



I think we are going to see some more major mistakes over the course of the next several games. I don't think we will beat Nevada-but that's mostly due to our defensive ineptitude. The USU game might be the first "game" of the season-it will be the equivalent of our O's opening weekend, but with a signifcant amount of game experience. That game might likely be the 2010 equivalent of the 2005 UNM game. I don't think we would have had any better chance against FSU with Riley in than we did with Jake. Same for Nevada. But, as the season goes on, there will be games that we will win because of Jake that we might not have won with Riley.



I credit this perspective as the reason why I'm not as ticked off as usual after a loss. This is the best I've felt after a loss since maybe the 2004 USC game. The future looks bright. This year we'll have some ups and downs, but 2011 will be a good to great year (thanks to a relatively easy schedule) as our first year of independence. 2012 and 2013 could be awesome.



I just wish coaches had figured this thing out last spring...or this summer...or during fall camp...or before the UW game...or while getting pasted at AFA. Oh well. We can only look to the future now.
B
Brayden Green
ditto
R
runbyu1
Good points. Hopefully the D can put things together next week and the O-line can give Jake the time to sling the ball around to people who actually catch the ball. Keep up the good work JJ.
C
Cougarbib
Our horrible coaches did manage to beat UW notwithstanding the myriad experience gaps on this team. Nobody expected to best FSU in their crib even when many still thought we were good. The coaches will try to beat Nevada - even though Nevada looks better right now.



Patience. We r not very good.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Patience would be wise. But I think our coaches really flubbed the QB decision. Right or wrong, Heaps or Nelson a decision should have been made very early in fall camp. Of course hindsight is 20/20. But I think the offense would be better off if we'd done this. If they had, we'd have five more weeks of "patience" already.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Any decision at this point is better than no decision. Viewing this as the first fall scrimmage makes it easier to swallow, but gives me little hope for the next couple of games.
B
byutx
snoscythe wrote:
Any decision at this point is better than no decision. Viewing this as the first fall scrimmage makes it easier to swallow, but gives me little hope for the next couple of games.

Exactly.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.