Archived Topic

Tackling

by Matty-B · 9/18/2010

Advertisement
M
Matty-B
TRY IT



That is all.
I
Italics
What is this "tackling" you speak of? I watch BYU football and I am unfamiliar with this very curious term.
K
kiwibacon
I remember before Hill got here that tackling was horrible. Then after he arrived here the tackling seemed to improve...Now we have gotten back to arm tackling and just plain poor effort. What gives?
C
CannonCougar85
kiwibacon wrote:
I remember before Hill got here that tackling was horrible. Then after he arrived here the tackling seemed to improve...Now we have gotten back to arm tackling and just plain poor effort. What gives?


Bronco has got to go back to coaching with the defense, sitting in on defensive meetings, going back to fundamentals and such. Tackling today was non-existent.
J
jonnylingo
While they are trying stuff maybe they can try catching balls that are thrown to them as well.
Advertisement
A
a1247
I don't understand. I saw a lot of "arm tackles" today. But heres the thing I never saw an actual tackle when it was classified as an "arm tackle". So if it didnt produce a tackle then why are we calling it a tackle. I saw BYU's D doing alot of arm grabs or reaches, but they didnt produce to many tackles using this form.



Why is it Utah looks like a team getting ready to make another BCS run while BYU looks like a team that has jumped into the hot tub time machine and has arrived in the year 2003. Arm tackles, droped pass, poor offensive line play. All the things that made Crowtons time in Provo so horrible. I know there young and maybe this is a rebuilding year but thats what they were saying about Utah last year and they were 100 times better than BYU is this year. WTH? Is the coaching staff at Utah that much better than BYU's? Right now the answer has got to be yes. Why is it that BYU cant seem to put it all together for an entire year? And why with the talent that is suppose to be on this team do they look like a team from Wyoming?



Next week Neveda is coming to LES and does this team look like a team that has any chance of stopping them. NO! Not unless they can shore up the O-line stop dropping passes and for the love of Jebuss stop trying to make tackles with there arms
B
BroncoBot
Frazier's tackle for a loss of 5 yards was the defensive highlight of the night. Other than that, there's a lot of work to do.
S
SpiffCoug
Arm tackling occurs when you're slow to the point of impact. So instead of wrapping up and driving through the ball carrier, you're reaching and grabbing and hoping to just hold on. FSU was very fast today and made our defenders look like molasses in January.
S
SenorCougar
My opinion.... No tackling, wrong angles tackling (same result), no offensive line play (either running or pass protection), no adjustments by coaches either at halftime or throughout the game, receivers can't catch "bullets" regularly. This team has a lot of work to do. I thought the experienced O-Line was going to give the QB's time to release the football, or blow open holes for 4th and 1 first downs. None of these prognostications are coming to pass.........
S
SenorCougar
declocoug wrote:
Frazier's tackle for a loss of 5 yards was the defensive highlight of the night. Other than that, there's a lot of work to do.


Promptly followed up by 1st down on the next play........
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
SenorCougar wrote:
...no offensive line play (either running or pass protection)

JJ had 91 yards on 18 carries. The OL played very well in the running game. Take away Jake's -61 yards rushing and we had 130+ yards which is pretty darn good against a team with the calibre of athletes like FSU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.