Archived Topic

The Danger In Picking Sides

by snoscythe · 9/16/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Let me start out by acknowledging that I have been among the foremost in contributing to our recent lovers' quarrel on here. I started with good intentions but ended up paving a less than desirable road. I apologize.



I wanted to share a story from my mission that has some relevance. On my mission we did not have the Book of Mormon in the native language. It had been in translation for years, but the translation committee was deadlocked over how to translate 'priesthood.' The stalemate drew on so long that eventually the matter was taken to President Hinckley. He chose between the words and sent his decision to the mission president. Before the mission president told the committee of the decision, he asked them for a sustaining vote for the prophet. A number of people on both sides of the debate refused to so vote for fear that their word would not be selected. Because they had taken up a cause so passionately for so long, it grew to be more important to them than reason or testimony. They would have preferred to be without the Book of Mormon and go against the prophet than to have the 'other word' used. It cost a branch president and a relief society president their positions.



I think that's what we've seen from both sides of the quarterback debate. It's no longer about what's right, it's devolved into who's right.



Recognizing that fact, I'm done contributing to the divide, and again I apologize.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
I am done as well. It has gotten out of hand. Here is to beating fsu this Saturday!
Q
QuarterbackU
So blueisbetter and mars should be kicked off of CC similar to the rogue branch pres and relief society pres? :)



I was just about to start a new thread titled: "The ultimate Nelson vs. Heaps thread."
K
kiwibacon
QuarterbackU wrote:



I was just about to start a new thread titled: "The ultimate Nelson vs. Heaps thread."

I LOL'd. :lol: Please don't. :lol: :lol:
Q
QuarterbackU
I was thinking it would help us all...you know....get our feelings out there about each QB! :)
Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
Oh and before I forget to tell you, Thank you snoscythe for taking responsibility and starting this thread. It takes a lot of class to do that.
C
CougarPeasant
So sno, what you are saying is that we should all get behind the player the Prophet decides who should start at QB, right???!!! ;)
G
Guest
It would be interesting to know the bretheren's thoughts on the QB battle. ;)



But in all serious, thanks sno, thanks everyone else for finishing this topic off for now. This is what separates this forum from other cougar forums.
S
snoscythe
CougarPeasant wrote:
So sno, what you are saying is that we should all get behind the player the Prophet decides who should start at QB, right???!!! ;)


Yup. Just waiting on Hawkwing to make up his dang mind.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
So sno, what you are saying is that we should all get behind the player the Prophet decides who should start at QB, right???!!! ;)


Yup. Just waiting on Hawkwing to make up his dang mind.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You weren't supposed to out me, brother.
Advertisement
G
Guest
By the way Sno, you'll be glad to know that your old mission is doing pretty well, they are utilizing that translated Book of Mormon to great effect now, my nephew is currently serving there.
B
Brayden Green
Reminds me of a story on the mission where all the elders quorom started calling each other "elder" because they were in the elders quorom. They were about an hours bus ride away from everywhere and wouldn't stop. My mission pres got wind of it and went out there and lit them all up.
F
frdbtr
QuarterbackU wrote:
So blueisbetter and mars should be kicked off of CC similar to the rogue branch pres and relief society pres? :)



I was just about to start a new thread titled: "The ultimate Nelson vs. Heaps thread."


So which one is the branch president and which is the relief society president ;) :lol:
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
So blueisbetter and mars should be kicked off of CC similar to the rogue branch pres and relief society pres? :)



I was just about to start a new thread titled: "The ultimate Nelson vs. Heaps thread."


So which one is the branch president and which is the relief society president ;) :lol:


I'll be the relief society predsident, cause she holds all the power. (I've been around long enough to see that :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :whistle: ;) )
B
Brayden Green
BlueIsBetter wrote:
QuarterbackU wrote:
So blueisbetter and mars should be kicked off of CC similar to the rogue branch pres and relief society pres? :)



I was just about to start a new thread titled: "The ultimate Nelson vs. Heaps thread."


So which one is the branch president and which is the relief society president ;) :lol:


I'll be the relief society predsident, cause she holds all the power. (I've been around long enough to see that :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :whistle: ;) )


In spanish, Relief Society translates to "Sociodad de Soccorro" which basically means Society of Comfort.



In the mission, myself (and a couple other rebel elders) would call them the "Sociodad de Susurro" which means "Whisper Society", I found that to be a more fitting and telling name for them.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Great post - I just saw it - sorry for my tardy reply - hope I can see the game Saturday to arm myself with some factual basis for next week's whining- is it as obvious to the rest of you as it is to mr who has not responded to this call for a truce - maybe like mr, they have not seen the call for truce yet - we will see - can the thread be renamed to ensure nobody misses the call for a truce - game is on in about 26 hours



Go Cougs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MJCOUGAR
Amen to Sno - I guess I just need wait to find out who Pres. Monson is going to pick and not get offended at who he chooses ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.