Archived Topic

THIS is what Heaps has done...

by Brayden Green · 9/16/2010

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Okay, I got so sick of hearing people say, "what has Heaps done to show ... blah blah blah." So I went play by play and found some interesting things. I have been saying that the playcalling for Heaps has been terrible, very pass oriented and unbalanced. Here is what I found, it may surprise some of you. Here is the data, and later I will post the results.



NOTE: WHEN IT SAYS "INCOMPLETE" OR "PASS INCOMPLETE" the play by play didn't note drops, so some of those have been drops. i have noted the ones I remember, but there are quite a few more.



Washington



- Pass incomplete

- Pass complete for one yard,

- Pass incomplete.

PUNT (punter was actually roughed for a first down, and Riley came out.)





- Jake Heaps rush (so pass play that led to scramble…)

- JJ rush

- Complete to Mckay, first down

- Complete to JJ, first down.

- Kariya run for loss

- Kariya run for 2.

- Dropped pass in the endzone by Wilson

Field goal good



- Pass incomplete

- JJ rush for 12 – First Down

- Complete to Muehlman – First down

- Pass incomplete

- Pass complete for 2 yards

- Pass incomplete

Punt





- JJ run for 19 yards – First Down

- Pass complete to Ashworth

- Complete to McKay

- JJ run for 4

- JJ run for 5

- Complete to Chambers

- Kariya rush for 8

- Kariya rush for 2

- Kariya rush for 4

- Heaps complete to Ashworth – (ran route one yard short of marker)

FIELD Goal





-Pass to Mathews – First down

-JJ rush for 2

-Pass to Wilson for 25

-Pass incomplete

-Pass incomplete

-Pass incomplete

Punt on Washington 36… (great playcalling there, throws on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down near field goal range.)



- JJ run

- Complete to Chambers

- Incomplete to McKay (we all remember that drop bouncing off the pads)

PUNT



Air Force




Pass complete to Ashworth for 8

Pass Incomplete

Pass complete to Hoffman for 7

JJ run for 17

JJ run 43

FUMBLE





Kariya run for 6

Pass on 2nd and 4 - incomplete

Pass on 3rd and 4 – incomplete (this is the one that Ashworth gave up on, and the pass was right on the money, 40 yards in the air.)

PUNT



Jake Heaps pass on 1st and 10 – Interception

BENCHED REST OF GAME



STATS




Passes on 1st and 10: 11

2 passes or more in a row – 10 times

3 passes in a row – happens 5 times

4 passes in a row - 2



Notice that Heaps' punts, come on unbalanced drives, where he is passing more than 70% of the time. Add that to the fact that JJ's YPC are almost double with Jake in, and I think that the playcalling needs to improve. Run JJ more on first and second downs, and be less predictable about passing all the time. Also, where are the HB outs? The WR screens? The quick outs and short slants? Riley seems to be the only one getting these.
K
kfilly20
I agree, I feel like Heaps has played pretty well, better than most have been giving him credit for. Riley also played pretty well until the 2nd half of AF game. To ask any QB's to rotate series and be very successful is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen. I cannot believe that it is happening in front of my eyes.
S
SpiffCoug
But I thought Jake was the throwing QB? Isn't he the one who is supposed to be throwing long? Why do you want him throwing short? Wasn't one of the criticisms of Riley's passing yards that it was a short catch with a long run?



But as to your original point that the playcalling has been poor. I fully agree. I thought our coaches would have done a much better job to this point than they have of putting either and both QBs in positions to be effective. Riley was able to overcome that against Washington, but not AF.
J
jonnylingo
kfilly20 wrote:
I agree, I feel like Heaps has played pretty well, better than most have been giving him credit for. Riley also played pretty well until the 2nd half of AF game. To ask any QB's to rotate series and be very successful is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen. I cannot believe that it is happening in front of my eyes.


I agree. Neither will be succesful in a two qb system. If you want one to pull away you name that one as starter. if at that point they can't you can choose to change your mind. but playing them both the way they have is not smart.
S
SpiffCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
I agree, I feel like Heaps has played pretty well, better than most have been giving him credit for. Riley also played pretty well until the 2nd half of AF game. To ask any QB's to rotate series and be very successful is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen. I cannot believe that it is happening in front of my eyes.


I agree. Neither will be succesful in a two qb system. If you want one to pull away you name that one as starter. if at that point they can't you can choose to change your mind. but playing them both the way they have is not smart.

Unfortunately, I think the coaches thought they could be successful with both QBs. UW showed them they could. AF showed they probably can't. Personally, I think they need to make a decision one way or another.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
yeah, ask Hawaii how many wins you can get a season by just throwing the ball with no run balance.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
He has also:

- Increased national attention, including being rated positively by the commentators who have seen the fundamentals of the very few plays he has had

- positively influenced recruiting the day he signed

- elevated the excitement and anticipation of fans and supporters



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Ygridiron4ever wrote:
He has also:

- Increased national attention, including being rated positively by the commentators who have seen the fundamentals of the very few plays he has had

- positively influenced recruiting the day he signed

- elevated the excitement and anticipation of fans and supporters



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


good point, I am sure that quite a few boosters have opened up the purse strings too, though I have no official knowledge of this.
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
He has also:

- Increased national attention, including being rated positively by the commentators who have seen the fundamentals of the very few plays he has had

- positively influenced recruiting the day he signed

- elevated the excitement and anticipation of fans and supporters


good point, I am sure that quite a few boosters have opened up the purse strings too, though I have no official knowledge of this.


I am sure quite a few people have started taking missionary discussions as well, though I have no official knowledge of this.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Ygridiron4ever wrote:
He has also:

- Increased national attention, including being rated positively by the commentators who have seen the fundamentals of the very few plays he has had

- positively influenced recruiting the day he signed

- elevated the excitement and anticipation of fans and supporters


good point, I am sure that quite a few boosters have opened up the purse strings too, though I have no official knowledge of this.


I am sure quite a few people have started taking missionary discussions as well, though I have no official knowledge of this.


Is this being serious, or have you lost all control?



or both?
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
He has also:

- Increased national attention, including being rated positively by the commentators who have seen the fundamentals of the very few plays he has had

- positively influenced recruiting the day he signed

- elevated the excitement and anticipation of fans and supporters


good point, I am sure that quite a few boosters have opened up the purse strings too, though I have no official knowledge of this.


I am sure quite a few people have started taking missionary discussions as well, though I have no official knowledge of this.


Is this being serious, or have you lost all control?



or both?


I was mocking the absurdity of your post.
M
Mars
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Notice that Heaps' punts, come on unbalanced drives, where he is passing more than 70% of the time. Add that to the fact that JJ's YPC are almost double with Jake in, and I think that the playcalling needs to improve. Run JJ more on first and second downs, and be less predictable about passing all the time. Also, where are the HB outs? The WR screens? The quick outs and short slants? Riley seems to be the only one getting these.

Great, great post!!



Anae is an idiot (at the moment). He has come out and actually said that BYU is seeking play-calling balance by giving half of the play-book to Nelson and the other half to Jake. So having one run and short-pass only QB and one medium and long-pass only QB is balanced? No moron, it's exactly the opposite!



Give Jake the entire playbook, give him JJ runs on 1st and 2nd down, give him short passes, RB passes, screen passes, and he will begin to look dominant, quickly passing up what Nelson has done and can do. But the coaches have been very, VERY stupid so far, as McGregor and many others (not named Sno) have pointed out a million times so far...
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Ygridiron4ever wrote:
He has also:

- Increased national attention, including being rated positively by the commentators who have seen the fundamentals of the very few plays he has had

- positively influenced recruiting the day he signed

- elevated the excitement and anticipation of fans and supporters


good point, I am sure that quite a few boosters have opened up the purse strings too, though I have no official knowledge of this.


I am sure quite a few people have started taking missionary discussions as well, though I have no official knowledge of this.


Is this being serious, or have you lost all control?



or both?


I was mocking the absurdity of your post.


So you have lost all control. Okay, got it.



(You don't think the average fan/donor is excited about Heaps being here?)
M
Mars
BlueIsBetter wrote:
So you have lost all control. Okay, got it.

(You don't think the average fan/donor is excited about Heaps being here?)

Sno is pretty sure that Heaps has NEVER accomplished ANYTHING at ANY level of football...
M
MJCOUGAR
Until one QB gets 75% or more of the reps, QB play will be inconsistent at best. UW was fools gold at the QB position. Heaps is the man, give him the whole playbook and we'll start looking more like the offensive success of 2009.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
kitic77 wrote:
kfilly20 wrote:
I agree, I feel like Heaps has played pretty well, better than most have been giving him credit for. Riley also played pretty well until the 2nd half of AF game. To ask any QB's to rotate series and be very successful is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen. I cannot believe that it is happening in front of my eyes.


I agree. Neither will be succesful in a two qb system. If you want one to pull away you name that one as starter. if at that point they can't you can choose to change your mind. but playing them both the way they have is not smart.

Unfortunately, I think the coaches thought they could be successful with both QBs. UW showed them they could. AF showed they probably can't. Personally, I think they need to make a decision one way or another.


I think the powers that be know that like many passers, Heaps needs to get into a throwing rhythm, but their solution to try to get him in a rhythm is to let Heaps throw on first, second, and third down instead of, for example, playing two or more consecutive series in a row.



I don't think Heaps has ever been in a game long enough to get in a rhythm, and when he has gotten a bit of mojo, he's had to wait another 20 minutes to build on it.



At least when Detmer got time as a redshirt freshman in 1988 (about 33% to Covey's 66%), he got in long enough to get into a rhythm--as I recall, some of it was due to injuries to Covey. It's interesting that despite having half the attempts, completions, and yardage as Covey, Detmer had as many interceptions (10) and TD passes (13). I'd be interested in Sean Covey's thoughts on the current BYU QB battle, because in 1988, he was pretty much in Riley Nelson's position--the experienced junior QB battling with a rising-star freshman.
A
airattack
Sno you really should try and keep it classy. I have a suggestion for you... why don't you stick to the Nelson threads and refrain from tearing Jake down? You seem close to the QB situation from what I can gather and seem to be taking things personally... If I am mistaken, I apologize in advance.
S
snoscythe
airattack wrote:
Sno you really should try and keep it classy. I have a suggestion for you... why don't you stick to the Nelson threads and refrain from tearing Jake down? You seem close to the QB situation from what I can gather and seem to be taking things personally... If I am mistaken, I apologize in advance.


I fail to see anything I have said that has been less classy than what has been said ad nauseum about Riley Nelson, O'Neill Chambers, or Steven Thomas this past week. Yet you haven't come on to ask posters to keep it classy there. Yet you imply that I am taking things personally. Hopefully you can see the irony in that position. I am sorry if you think I am tearing Jake down. In their eagerness to see him succeed, many on here seem to forget that Jake has not exactly been a world-beater himself these past two weeks. My aim is not to tear him down, but rather to bring some semblance of objectivity to the forum as people clamor for him to start and tell us how badly Riley Nelson has sucked.



I have no dog in the QB fight. I have never met the Nelsons, nor the Heaps. Since March I have been disgusted with how quickly the fans turn on our older players when some new recruit comes into camp with some hype--they forget about the hype the other guys came with and begin to hope that they fail so they can see the new guys come in. I am not anti-Heaps, I am anti-hype. I want every position to be earned, and every player to be respected for their commitment to the program.
L
Lawboy
Disgusted? really? Dude, it is about winning football games, not building a team of lovable losers. If the younger guys give you a better chance to win, they play. If not, they sit. But disgusted? That is a bit of an extreme reaction, I;d say. Wonder what the cause is for that.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Sno you really should try and keep it classy. I have a suggestion for you... why don't you stick to the Nelson threads and refrain from tearing Jake down? You seem close to the QB situation from what I can gather and seem to be taking things personally... If I am mistaken, I apologize in advance.


I fail to see anything I have said that has been less classy than what has been said ad nauseum about Riley Nelson, O'Neill Chambers, or Steven Thomas this past week. Yet you haven't come on to ask posters to keep it classy there. Yet you imply that I am taking things personally. Hopefully you can see the irony in that position. I am sorry if you think I am tearing Jake down. In their eagerness to see him succeed, many on here seem to forget that Jake has not exactly been a world-beater himself these past two weeks. My aim is not to tear him down, but rather to bring some semblance of objectivity to the forum as people clamor for him to start and tell us how badly Riley Nelson has sucked.



I have no dog in the QB fight. I have never met the Nelsons, nor the Heaps.


You can point out several ironic staments in there. Your aim isn't to tear Jake down, just anyone that says anything nice about him. You can't make all the statements you have, and say you have no dog in the qb fight. You do, it's Nelson. I do, it's Heaps (because - I think - he is the better quarterback, now and in the future. And makes the best sense for what used to be our offensive scheme.) But you, anytime someone has anything nice to say about Heaps, it's "well Nelson this or that..." and something negative about Nelson you adversely attack Jake or the poster. It's waring very thin, Sno and more than one person is seeing it.


snocythe wrote:
Since March I have been disgusted with how quickly the fans turn on our older players when some new recruit comes into camp with some hype--they forget about the hype the other guys came with and begin to hope that they fail so they can see the new guys come in. I am not anti-Heaps, I am anti-hype. I want every position to be earned, and every player to be respected for their commitment to the program.


If this is true, and I have every reason to believe it is how you feel, then I suggest you stop watching BYU football, and maybe move over to the USU Aggies (if you are in Utah), or something like that. Because BYU has had our best recruiting years in the program the last 3 years consecutively, and that trend isn't going to stop anytime soon. How do you think that fans in Texas do it when the freshman CB starts over the senior because of talent? You can't ask a program to suffer because the player hasn't sat out a year, or shouldn't start over the Senior who once was a walk on. The senior guy is already going to school for free, and going to graduate with a degree that will give him a huge springboard for life. Isn't that enough?



You are doing much, much more than simply defending Nelson. And sure, others are buying into hype that Heaps is better than he is right now. But is that really a bad thing for people who normally wouldn't be, to be excited about BYU?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.