Archived Topic

Starting Nelson

by rblack · 9/15/2010

Advertisement
R
rblack
1. There has been alot of talk about starting Heaps instead of Nelson.

2. BYU has indicated that in spite of everything Nelson will start against Florida.

3. The continued starting of Nelson angers some cougar faithful.



Why does BYU continue to rely on Nelson instead of giving the ball to Heaps?

The answer is very simple. Heaps needs to earn the starting job based on his performance on the field. If Heaps is ever going to be the starter that we need/hope him to be, he must not be handed the position by default. Heaps has not done anything in game situations that earns the starting job. Apparently, it became apparent to the coaching staff during the Air Force game that this was not the game where we were going to have a Heaps coming out party. Alot of people feel that this was an unfair evaluation of where he was at. I trust the coaching staff.

If you read the comments Bronco Mendenhall has made regarding the starting position, he is looking for someone to step up and earn the position. My prediction is that Heaps will be given opportunities in the Florida State game to step up and emerge as the quarterback of the future. If he does not, then there are several possiblities from there.

1. Nelson will step up. In order for Nelson to step up, he needs to hold in the pocket for a few more seconds to allow the play to develop. He needs to demonstrate an ablity to connect consistently on the midrange passes. He needs to demonstate more ball security. I believe that these items are within his abilities. We haven't seen this from him yet.

2. Another of the Quarterbacks will replace either Nelson or Heaps in the starting rotation. This would be a major vote of unconfidence in the top two quarterbacks. This would indicate an abandoning of the Heaps quarterback of the future model and it is betting on Lark or Munns as the quarterback of the future. I think they are both capable quarterbacks. However, I don't see this happening unless things get really bad.

3. We are stuck with the two quarterback system. I think this is the worst case scenario.



In thinking about this and analyzing this, the best case scenario is for Heaps to put together a few touchdown drives and emerge as the future starting quarterback.

If this doesn't happen, we need #1 above to happen.

Bottom line we can't give Heaps the start until he demonstates to both himself and the team that he's the man that can lead this team to greatness. If he gets the start before that, it will create jealosy and it will ultimately impair his development as a long time starter. Nelson doesn't have the same baggage because he is a junior and there was not so much hype about his arrival. The unity of a football team is a fragile thing.
F
frdbtr
This is a good post. A voice of reason.
I
IndiCoug
rblack wrote:
1. There has been alot of talk about starting Heaps instead of Nelson.

2. BYU has indicated that in spite of everything Nelson will start against Florida.

3. The continued starting of Nelson angers some cougar faithful.



Why does BYU continue to rely on Nelson instead of giving the ball to Heaps?

The answer is very simple. Heaps needs to earn the starting job based on his performance on the field. If Heaps is ever going to be the starter that we need/hope him to be, he must not be handed the position by default. Heaps has not done anything in game situations that earns the starting job. Apparently, it became apparent to the coaching staff during the Air Force game that this was not the game where we were going to have a Heaps coming out party. Alot of people feel that this was an unfair evaluation of where he was at. I trust the coaching staff.

If you read the comments Bronco Mendenhall has made regarding the starting position, he is looking for someone to step up and earn the position. My prediction is that Heaps will be given opportunities in the Florida State game to step up and emerge as the quarterback of the future. If he does not, then there are several possiblities from there.

1. Nelson will step up. In order for Nelson to step up, he needs to hold in the pocket for a few more seconds to allow the play to develop. He needs to demonstrate an ablity to connect consistently on the midrange passes. He needs to demonstate more ball security. I believe that these items are within his abilities. We haven't seen this from him yet.

2. Another of the Quarterbacks will replace either Nelson or Heaps in the starting rotation. This would be a major vote of unconfidence in the top two quarterbacks. This would indicate an abandoning of the Heaps quarterback of the future model and it is betting on Lark or Munns as the quarterback of the future. I think they are both capable quarterbacks. However, I don't see this happening unless things get really bad.

3. We are stuck with the two quarterback system. I think this is the worst case scenario.



In thinking about this and analyzing this, the best case scenario is for Heaps to put together a few touchdown drives and emerge as the future starting quarterback.

If this doesn't happen, we need #1 above to happen.

Bottom line we can't give Heaps the start until he demonstates to both himself and the team that he's the man that can lead this team to greatness. If he gets the start before that, it will create jealosy and it will ultimately impair his development as a long time starter. Nelson doesn't have the same baggage because he is a junior and there was not so much hype about his arrival. The unity of a football team is a fragile thing.


You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).



#1 --In order for Riley to stay in the pocket and have "presense" he would have to go against everything he has learn to date (tuck and run when you feel pressure). In addition having presense would require alot of coaching and I'm now second guessing Doman and his abilities/judgement. You would also see alot of sacks and fumbles from him trying to "learn" pocket presense. I don't expect to see anything different from Riley and think we have seen his capabilities.

#2 --- will not happen unless there is injury. I really liked Lark out of high school but he's got a case of mission rust he needs to work off.

#3 ---- IMHO, the 2 QB system can work because both qb's bring diferent skill bases but HEAPS should be the one and Neilson should be the situational. I think over the next 3 games it will work its way out that way.



As far as "jealosy" and "impairing", I just don't see it. Heaps already has alot of the team behind him and will win over the "majority" as he is scoring and winning games.

Larks best hope at this point is that Heaps decides to serve a mission. ;)
K
kiwibacon
IndiCoug wrote:

You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).





As far as "jealosy" and "impairing", I just don't see it. Heaps already has alot of the team behind him and will win over the "majority" as he is scoring and winning games.

Larks best hope at this point is that Heaps decides to serve a mission. ;)

I don't believe he is the Lark die-hard...unless somehow I missed that. Fifthqb is the Lark die-hard.

EDIT- I just went and looked at the last 20 or so posts of rblack and I definitely think you have mistaken identities. rblack has not really posted often if at all on the "qb battle".
M
mizzoucoug
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.
Advertisement
I
IndiCoug
kiwibacon wrote:

You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).





As far as "jealosy" and "impairing", I just don't see it. Heaps already has alot of the team behind him and will win over the "majority" as he is scoring and winning games.

Larks best hope at this point is that Heaps decides to serve a mission. ;)

I don't believe he is the Lark die-hard...unless somehow I missed that. Fifthqb is the Lark die-hard.

EDIT- I just went and looked at the last 20 or so posts of rblack and I definitely think you have mistaken identities. rblack has not really posted often if at all on the "qb battle".


Oh, sorry about that rblack. I completely took your post out of context. :bug: My Heaps blindness doth show. ;)

I think I'm done posting on the QB situation for awhile.
R
rblack
IndiCoug wrote:

In thinking about this and analyzing this, the best case scenario is for Heaps to put together a few touchdown drives and emerge as the future starting quarterback.

If this doesn't happen, we need #1 above to happen.


You're the Lark die-hard aren't you? I really don't know where to start with your post because you're so blatent on what you would prefer to happen (Lark as QB).



I think my statement speaks for itself. "THE BEST CASE SCENARIO IS FOR HEAPS TO PUT TOGETHER A FEW TOUCHDOWN DRIVES AND EMERGE AS THE FUTURE STARTING QUARTERBACK." That is what I want to happen.
R
rblack
mizzoucoug wrote:
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.

How is what I said foolishness? We all know and understand Nelson's weeknesses. We all understand Heaps potential. We want Heaps to develop into a starter. That will most benefit the team in the long run. No one said anything about not giving him the opportunity to develop timing and rhythm. We all agree that the status quo cannot continue. If you're going to blast me for what I said, at least indicate what I said that you disagree with. Bottom line, I want Heaps to emerge as the starter. However, if he does not step up, I hope someone does.
G
Guest
mizzoucoug wrote:
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.


People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.


People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.


Where's cruiser? I have never seen him post here. I would love to hear some of his opinions about what is going on. That guy was a true insider.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.


People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.


Where's cruiser? I have never seen him post here. I would love to hear some of his opinions about what is going on. That guy was a true insider.


He lurks and reads, but he has never posted anywhere since the whole CougarLegion blow-up. I think he's just a bit jaded with the whole fickle nature of the online forums.
M
mizzoucoug
hawkwing wrote:
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.


People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.


Sorry Hawking but my thoughts on this game have already been replicated throughout the board so I think people are learning from me as I do know this game very well. Props on giving yourself love though.
G
Guest
mizzoucoug wrote:
Sorry Hawking but my thoughts on this game have already been replicated throughout the board so I think people are learning from me as I do know this game very well. Props on giving yourself love though.


Wait, so because you parrot the most popular sentiment on CougarCorner that means people are learning from you? Wouldn't it be a better example if you came up with an unpopular opinion and persuaded those who disagreed with you? Even then, I think it would be foolish and arrogant to call it teaching.



Maybe we should have a show of hands here, who here feels like they learned something they didn't know from mizzoucoug?
C
Cougs_Rule
No! Really! I invented the internet.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
kiwibacon
dmcougar wrote:
No! Really! I invented the internet.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Someday I hope to meet you and shake your hand.
Advertisement
G
Guest
dmcougar wrote:
No! Really! I invented the internet.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Thanks for killing all my free time!
I
Italics
ugh.



people... Heaps is not going to walk out and start jacking up touchdown after touchdown. It doesn't work that way. Freshmen qb's take awhile to find their rhythm and gain confidence. Playing jake a few series a game doesn't do that. There is a difference between playing in practice and playing in the game. Jake has not been given a decent shot yet to establish himself, and anyone who thinks that he has been is completely misunderstanding the situation
M
mizzoucoug
Yawn. Children.
I
Italics
mizzoucoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.


People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.


Sorry Hawking but my thoughts on this game have already been replicated throughout the board so I think people are learning from me as I do know this game very well. Props on giving yourself love though.


it's ironic that the people who praise mcgregor as deity have opinions on all this that are different from his. I think he is a good poster, but I can't remember the last time he posted anything original or groundbreaking. It's funny, too, that he can question the ability of our coaches, but others can't. Maybe certain users like him so much bc he speajs in a way simple enough for them to comprehend.
K
kiwibacon
Italics wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Foolishness. How many times do I need to educate you people about this game? Riley is a wing-it player. Him running out there every other series has no effect on his game because you don't need rhythm to run his 1 read then run offense. Heaps, on the other hand, does need consecutive series opportunities--something only he has not been given yet! Give him 3 or 4 series in a row to develop timing with the receivers in game and then the comparison will be fair. Nelson had all 2nd half and could not get in sync. Give Heaps his chance in game...then we can begin to fairly weigh performances.


People on CougarCorner are quite willing to listen and learn from people who know what they are talking about, ala mcgregor, cruiser, hawkwing ( :evil: ). If you find people aren't "learning" from you I wonder what that says.


Sorry Hawking but my thoughts on this game have already been replicated throughout the board so I think people are learning from me as I do know this game very well. Props on giving yourself love though.


it's ironic that the people who praise mcgregor as deity have opinions on all this that are different from his. I think he is a good poster, but I can't remember the last time he posted anything original or groundbreaking. It's funny, too, that he can question the ability of our coaches, but others can't. Maybe certain users like him so much bc he speajs in a way simple enough for them to comprehend.

I believe the BIG difference is the approach that individuals take. It is that approach that has garnered the respect of others...not necessarily everything they say is agreeable or of the same opinion, you even acknowledged that not everyone has the same opinion. However, the way the statements are made is done tactfully and with respect for others.



Please note, I am not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but I have noticed that on multiple boards the posters that people respect are the ones who know how to state an opinion without belittling others. Also take note that I am not stating anyone here in this thread has disrespectfully posted on purpose, but some may have taken it that way.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.