Archived Topic

Thoughts after the weekend.

by ByuIvie · 9/13/2010

Advertisement
B
ByuIvie
I was in Vegas this weekend watching the BYU game in the Bellagio hotel. Like all good non-mormon BYU fans should do, I bet on the game. Apparently I wasn't the only one who though betting on BYU was a good idea. I didn't come across a single individual who bet on Air Force. The bartender mentioned something that BYU almost always covers the spread and in the past six years he had never lost money on the times he bet on BYU. BYU beating Air Force in most peoples mind was a sure thing. So what happened?



Here are my thoughts. The 2 Quarter back system is a joke. Almost every news caster thinks that the system won't work and I agree. Looking back at schools that run a two QB system almost all of them abandon it. Even Steve Young thinks it should be re-evaluated. In the first quarter there were 5 false start penalties which could have been the result of changing quarterbacks. Changes in tone, rate of speech could have been responsible for a couple of false start penalties. It is not uncommon to have these types of problems with a 2 QB system. Bronco should eliminate the 2 QB system and pick one.



Which one should Bronco pick? I didn't get to see the Washington game so I was excited to see this game. I was not on the James Heap bandwagon I was more thrilled to see BYU have a rushing QB in the backfield. After watching the game this weekend, and only this game, I think Riley is the wrong choice. Before everyone attacks me, let me explain. I think Riley is a great quarterback. I don't think he is a great Quarterback for BYU. It seemed like watching Riley, he would drop back to pass, and immediately take off running whether it was planned or not. He almost seemed to look for the run first and if that wasn't available he would consider throwing the ball. BYU is a passing team. There should be no excuse for 88 yards passing. Even in bad games with a rushing QB you are most likely going to get 88 yards passing on accident. Even in bad games with poor play calling you are going to get 88 yards passing on accident. The only way BYU ended up in that position was a combination of both, poor personnel selection on the field and poor play calling. If Riley isn't going to drop back and pass then he needs to be replaced. Once Air Force started assuming and treating Riley like he was going to run, offensive production stopped. The big difference between having one starter and two QB's is how much experience they are going to get. At the end of the year Riley will be half experienced as he could have been if he took every snap, Heaps will only be half as good as if he took every snap.



The next problem was the defense. I don't think they could have stopped Air Force if the AFA running backs were in wheel chairs. I don't think this season will be a hopeful reloading year I think this is a complete rebuilding year. If its a rebuilding year, Bronco needs to get away from the most Senior players on the field and let the most talented players play. I don't think a line backing group of talented freshman could have played any worse than the people with seniority. The only difference is how experienced those talented players will be when its time for them to step up. This will also make it easier to get talented recruits if they think they can start as freshmen.



I haven't seen BYU play this poorly for years. The only reason the game was as close as the score would indicate is due to AFA shooting themselves in the foot in the first quarter. Unless major changes take place on Defense and Offense I see BYU going 7-5 this year.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.