Archived Topic

Jamie Hill in charge, I'm much less worried.

by Brayden Green · 9/13/2010

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
According to Jake Scott on 1280: in the presser this morning, Bronco gave gameday prep to Hill to prepare for Air Force. I think that is very telling. Bronco has taken over the game planning for Air Force week every other year.



I just don't see the Jamie Hill magic. And I haven't seen it for the last 3 years. People a lot smarter and a lot deeper into BYU (BYUtx, McGregor) have mentioned to me that he is beyond intelligent and a great coach. But I am once again at the same question... Is he a bad coach, or does he have bad talent? Or is it just that he can't explain or translate his genius? Like an "idiot savant" sort of situation? Very smart, but doesn't have the ability to communicate it.



Bronco kind of answered that the D played as well as they were coached.



I am sorry I just don't see it. The bend and break defense has given us some of our worse defenses on this side of 2004. It has won us games, but we aren't exactly playing worldbeaters the last 3 years. And most of them we do play, we lose to. (Exception: Oklahoma, and we actually blitzed the crap out of them, and only went half and half on the bend and break.)



??? HELP ???
C
craigoscarson
Hill has orchestrated our 2 highest profile games the last 2 years; Oklahoma and Washington. The man can game plan; I'm just not sure if he can motivate or teach on a consistent basis. He's one of the better defensive coordinators out there; but right now the inexperienced players are getting worked and the young talented freshmen arent' getting enough minutes. It's a tough juggling act that AFA made that much tougher.
F
frdbtr
Am I the only one who is disapointed but not surprised at what happened on saturday? We have a defense of mostly freshmen and sophomores and it got worked by a very good AFA team. Air force is a tough opponent to plan for with an experienced defense. The lack of experience in our defense led to assignment break downs and thus, we got whipped. Simple as that. It is not time to replace our O and D coordinators. It is not time to stick a gun in our mouths. It is time to regroup and do like Bronco said; Get back to fundamentals and clean up play.
G
Guest
I have a lot of faith in Jaime Hill. BYU is incredibly lucky to have him. I think we're seeing the same people who egged his house a few years ago come back out of the wood work.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
I have a lot of faith in Jaime Hill. BYU is incredibly lucky to have him. I think we're seeing the same people who egged his house a few years ago come back out of the wood work.


I remember that. Whoever did that was a coward.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I promise that I have never egged his house (I don't know where it is...)



TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC



I just don't see it, but I have never talked to him, or heard him speak before. I am just judging him by on field performance which hasn't been very good the last 2-3 years since he has taken over. If any of you have more information that I can look into - read or listen, I am more than happy to change my opinion and be comfortable with him. People that are smart seem to be content with him... I played defense and think that I know a bit about it (that could be the problem, though... :) ) I would like to know how you came to be so content with him, and if and how I can get to that point. I just haven't seen it, but am willing to.



Again, ????? HELP ?????
M
MJCOUGAR
I don't take this is as a knock on Hill, but you would think that Bronco, who (ignoring saturday) was the king of stopping AF, wouldn't delegate something that he has obviously mastered.
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I promise that I have never egged his house (I don't know where it is...)



TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC



I just don't see it, but I have never talked to him, or heard him speak before. I am just judging him by on field performance which hasn't been very good the last 2-3 years since he has taken over. If any of you have more information that I can look into - read or listen, I am more than happy to change my opinion and be comfortable with him. People that are smart seem to be content with him... I played defense and think that I know a bit about it (that could be the problem, though... :) ) I would like to know how you came to be so content with him, and if and how I can get to that point. I just haven't seen it, but am willing to.



Again, ????? HELP ?????


Last years defense was pretty good and they had some of the slowest line backers in the history of College football (with the exception of pendleton) running the 3-4. In 2008 they had some of the worst Secondary and linebackers that have ever played at BYU and we were still able to win 10 games. I think he has done a very good job disguising our defensive deficiencies over the last few years. We need to give him time to develop this current team, who is very young, before we start passing out judgement.
C
CAFB_04-12
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I am just judging him by on field performance which hasn't been very good the last 2-3 years since he has taken over.

Are you talking about the consecutive 10 win seasons?



I know the offense scores the points, but the defense contributes too.
B
BYZoo
A.F. game planned for this game for an entire year. We had a week to prepare with a bunch of young guys. It's hard to blame coach Hill. I frankly think the defense hung in there pretty well, in spite of how things turned out. If the offense had held on to the ball better and made something out of that third quarter interception the defense provided, the game would have been closer -- and maybe a W for the Coogs.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BYZoo wrote:
A.F. game planned for this game for an entire year. We had a week to prepare with a bunch of young guys. It's hard to blame coach Hill. I frankly think the defense hung in there pretty well, in spite of how things turned out. If the offense had held on to the ball better and made something out of that third quarter interception the defense provided, the game would have been closer -- and maybe a W for the Coogs.


It was a total team break down. The offense, the Defense and the special teams. The defense didn't hold up well, they played terrible. But that doesn't mean we need to fire the D coordinator. The offense also played terrible, but that doesn't mean that Anae is the worst offensive coordinator ever to coach at BYU either. Bronco coaches the Special teams this year and they looked terrible so should we force him to give that up and only be the head coach? Come on guys, it was one week, now if we have another 2003, then we can start to panic.
B
BYZoo
frdbtr wrote:
A.F. game planned for this game for an entire year. We had a week to prepare with a bunch of young guys. It's hard to blame coach Hill. I frankly think the defense hung in there pretty well, in spite of how things turned out. If the offense had held on to the ball better and made something out of that third quarter interception the defense provided, the game would have been closer -- and maybe a W for the Coogs.


It was a total team break down. The offense, the Defense and the special teams. The defense didn't hold up well, they played terrible. But that doesn't mean we need to fire the D coordinator. The offense also played terrible, but that doesn't mean that Anae is the worst offensive coordinator ever to coach at BYU either. Bronco coaches the Special teams this year and they looked terrible so should we force him to give that up and only be the head coach? Come on guys, it was one week, now if we have another 2003, then we can start to panic.


Can't argue with that.
C
CougarPeasant
craigoscarson wrote:
Hill has orchestrated our 2 highest profile games the last 2 years; Oklahoma and Washington. The man can game plan; I'm just not sure if he can motivate or teach on a consistent basis. He's one of the better defensive coordinators out there; but right now the inexperienced players are getting worked and the young talented freshmen arent' getting enough minutes. It's a tough juggling act that AFA made that much tougher.

Hi

He was in charge of shutting down Oregon State in the LV Bowl too. That was a masterful performance by the defense. He shut down :utard: two of the last three seasons as well. (at least for most of the game last year.)



Hill is not the problem, at least not by himself. The team lost every facet of the game, so it was a team failure, which I put upon all of the coaches. Hill has proven himself to me, inspite of what happened Saturday.
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
I have a lot of faith in Jaime Hill. BYU is incredibly lucky to have him. I think we're seeing the same people who egged his house a few years ago come back out of the wood work.


Absolutely!! The act of a few - maybe one - spineless coward to attack Coach Hill's house was one of the most cowardly, spineless & low things that I have heard about connected w/ BYU Football fans.



That said - this thread - the content - the assertions & "concerns" are way out of line.



I guarantee - if Bronco had any lack of faith in Coach Hill, he would not be running the defense & given the tremendous responsibility that has been placed on his shoulders. There is so much inside information & unknown details - we know so little. This thread - to me - is embarrassing.



If I were a moderator - I'd lock it & erase it.

:angry:
B
Brayden Green
Ddawg wrote:
I have a lot of faith in Jaime Hill. BYU is incredibly lucky to have him. I think we're seeing the same people who egged his house a few years ago come back out of the wood work.


Absolutely!! The act of a few - maybe one - spineless coward to attack Coach Hill's house was one of the most cowardly, spineless & low things that I have heard about connected w/ BYU Football fans.



That said - this thread - the content - the assertions & "concerns" are way out of line.



I guarantee - if Bronco had any lack of faith in Coach Hill, he would not be running the defense & given the tremendous responsibility that has been placed on his shoulders. There is so much inside information & unknown details - we know so little. This thread - to me - is embarrassing.



If I were a moderator - I'd lock it & erase it.

:angry:


Excuse me? Sorry for asking open ended questions... I'll stick more to using words like this next time...

spineless coward…most cowardly, spineless & low…the assertions & "concerns" are way out of line…

This thread - to me - is embarrassing.



If I were a moderator - I'd lock it & erase it. ANGRY FACE!!!


I don't think at anytime I was being disrespectful, or anyone has said anything out of line. Case of the mondays? Jeez!
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I guess I just don't like the bend and break defense, and he is presently in charge of that. We beat OU because we played them straight up and blitzed often. It was a masterful performance. If we that is what we are shooting for, and just don't have the personnel, I can get on board with that. We just look bad out there, almost on a yearly basis. Bad teams rack up yards on us, and every qb that plays us looks like a hesiman candidate. I guess that is by design?
I
imuakahuku
Did anyone notice that as the offense started to sputter so did the defense? We seemed to hold them there for a while. I wonder how much T.O.P. played into the D's results? Something to consider I say.
B
Brayden Green
imuakahuku wrote:
Did anyone notice that as the offense started to sputter so did the defense? We seemed to hold them there for a while. I wonder how much T.O.P. played into the D's results? Something to consider I say.


Good point, there is a lot to that. Our offense is geared on ball control and scoring long drives, and our defense seems to be geared on allowing long drives, but hopefully not scoring ones. If our offense is ineffectual, I would say our defense is, too.
S
scott715
Hill is just fine. The week before the board thought he was a genius. Come on now.
B
bball
I'm not a psychiatrist, or anything close, but I'd like to know the relationship between a poor passing game and lousy punting, or the relation of awful defense with fumbles on offense. How does an inept offense cause the defense to cave in and play awful? And how does a porous defense cause all of the receivers to drop passes? If Jaime Hill is having a poor day on defense, does Robert Anae jump on board and do the same thing?



These really are honest questions. I've played a bit of sports in my life, and I've been part of a couple of basketball games where I and everyone else played awful, shot awful, played poor defense, and shot lousy from the free throw line. How does this happen? You'd think if two or three guys are playing bad, somebody should shoot well--just the law of averages.



Sports is a curious thing; great teams get beat by awful teams (Kansas beat Georgia Tech), good teams look awfully bad (FSU against Oklahoma). A NC contender (Virginia Tech) looks average one week and way worse the next. I still remember years ago Texas A&M losing it's first five games, then winning six straight and going to a bowl game. How does Mississippi lose to...who was it again?



In dissecting this game, I think a turning point was when DiLuigi fumbled going into the endzone, the Chambers picks up the fumble and fumbles it again (without even being hit). That play should have given us another score--even with a poor passing game, and the defense playing so-so. I think from that point on, we felt snake bit, and AF felt the gods were smiling on them, and it went downhill from there. AF is not that good and BYU is not that bad, but it sure looked that way on Saturday.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.