Archived Topic

Chambers is in the Heaps Camp

by CannonCougar85 · 9/12/2010

Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
I attended the game against Air Force. I was seated behind the BYU bench on the 45 yard line about 15 rows up so I had a clear view.



It was early in the 4th quarter on 3rd down. Nelson was QB obviously. Chambers ran a route that was just a floater across the middle from left to right and he was WIDE open. Not a defender within 10 yards in any direction. Nelson looked in Chambers direction because there were 2 routes that direction. Chambers started waving his arms and jumping up and down right in the middle of the field about 15 yards away. Instead Nelson threw to a TE on the right hash mark in double coverage. Incomplete.



Chambers lost it. He was absolutely livid. He came storming off the field ripping his chin guard off and just screaming(I couldn't hear him). He was standing right in Domans face and pointing towards Heaps. I couldn't hear him but I could tell exactly what he was saying. He was sick of Nelson and wanted Heaps in the game. Coach Higgins finally had to pull Chambers away from everybody and gave him a talking to. Even while Higgins was talking to him Chambers kept pointing towards Heaps. It was obvious to me and the 2 guys with me that Chambers was sick of Nelson and wanted Heaps in the game.



I tend to agree with Chambers on this one.
C
CAFB_04-12
I wonder if Doman said something like, "how 'bouts you catch the football when it hits you in the chest, and dive on a fumble instead of trying to pick it up." Chambers has to be on shaky ground right now with the coaches. All the receivers probably are.
S
Schmoe
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I wonder if Doman said something like, "how 'bouts you catch the football when it hits you in the chest, and dive on a fumble instead of trying to pick it up." Chambers has to be on shaky ground right now with the coaches. All the receivers probably are.


Yep. I'm all for giving the kid a chance, but 2 completions and one pic aren't exactly stellar numbers. People are acting like we would have won the game had Heaps been in, which, I'm sorry to say, is not the case.
N
nc-puma
Seriously, I can handle a little bravado and attitude if the player's game doesn't consist soley of dropping passes and fumbling kickoffs (while holding the ball with one hand and trying ridiculous spin moves in traffic). That said, I do think they should put the Heaps in (a la Barkley at USC or Colt Brennan at Texas as true freshman) and just let him grow into the position. I like Nelson and he could be a Doman-type QB, but the problem is he doesn't have a Luke Staley. We need to spread the field.
C
craigoscarson
Yep, Chambers is not in the best position to deserve a voice (dropped passes, botched fumble pickup, etc.) but...



This is the problem with successfully rotating the qbs in game 1 and then making an executive decision to go with the qb that couldn't pass the ball to save his life yesterday. Nelson was anemic and Heaps didn't get much of a chance to show that he could move the ball. Now we have a mutiny on our hands.



If we're going to lose that game, we needed to do it playing BYU football; and whether or not Riley is up to the job or not; he did not look like a BYU qb yesterday. I submit that he's entirely too easy to gameplan for and cannot be a longterm option, but what scares me the most is that it might be dividing the team.
Advertisement
K
keepitreal27
you know hat i do not understant is ow long as Chambers been there what two years now and i know he doesnt have six drops since he been at byu and fumbles how please tell me how many what two since he has been there i whatch you super star AC drop four ball in one game i say agian four balls in one game. They need to start Heaps. you guys are saying he is no good but he was the second leader in APY last year.
K
kiwibacon
keepitreal27 wrote:
you know hat i do not understant is ow long as Chambers been there what two years now and i know he doesnt have six drops since he been at byu and fumbles how please tell me how many what two since he has been there i whatch you super star AC drop four ball in one game i say agian four balls in one game. They need to start Heaps. you guys are saying he is no good but he was the second leader in APY last year.
You might have a good point or maybe not but it is not coherent. I think you might be saying that Austin Collie had four drops in one game once. Because of that your reasoning is that Chambers just had an off day and his voicing his opinion of playing Heaps is still a valid voice of reason? Please help me to decipher what you just typed.
4
49erCoug
keepitreal27 wrote:
you know hat i do not understant is ow long as Chambers been there what two years now and i know he doesnt have six drops since he been at byu and fumbles how please tell me how many what two since he has been there i whatch you super star AC drop four ball in one game i say agian four balls in one game. They need to start Heaps. you guys are saying he is no good but he was the second leader in APY last year.




In English please!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
keepitreal27 wrote:
you know hat i do not understant is ow long as Chambers been there what two years now and i know he doesnt have six drops since he been at byu and fumbles how please tell me how many what two since he has been there i whatch you super star AC drop four ball in one game i say agian four balls in one game. They need to start Heaps. you guys are saying he is no good but he was the second leader in APY last year.


The difference is that Collie could take it to the house. Chambers has yet to do that; and then he drops an easy catch for an easier touchdown and tries to pick up J.J.s fumble when I guarantee you they all were coached to get down on that ball and secure it.



He did not have a good day; sadly neither did many others.



We went from a near complete effort and win vs UW to a near complete failure vs AFA.



The problem right now is that a mutiny will not help salvage the season. It's one game.... We knew we were young when we started, There were going to be bumps in the road. I just didnt' expect such a poorly executed bump.
I
IndiCoug
Schmoe wrote:
I wonder if Doman said something like, "how 'bouts you catch the football when it hits you in the chest, and dive on a fumble instead of trying to pick it up." Chambers has to be on shaky ground right now with the coaches. All the receivers probably are.


Yep. I'm all for giving the kid a chance, but 2 completions and one pic aren't exactly stellar numbers. People are acting like we would have won the game had Heaps been in, which, I'm sorry to say, is not the case.


Schmoe you need to go back and watch the game. Of the 6 passes two where drops that where in both hands of the recievers and 1 was JJ fumble that was a 40 yard completion before he let the ball get stripped. Yes he threw a stupid interception but I don't recall any other BYU QB losing their job because of one interception. Max had what 5 interceptions against Utah and he wasn't even close to losing the job. :blush:
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
keepitreal27 wrote:
you know hat i do not understant is ow long as Chambers been there what two years now and i know he doesnt have six drops since he been at byu and fumbles how please tell me how many what two since he has been there i whatch you super star AC drop four ball in one game i say agian four balls in one game. They need to start Heaps. you guys are saying he is no good but he was the second leader in APY last year.


Not you again! Anyone from Cblue probably remembers this guy. He has no point, other than "Give Chambers a break, he hasn't been there long, and other people have sucked in the past, too." There was rampant speculation that he WAS Chambers, or a very close relative. I can't remember where we ended up on that one.



Chambers is pathetic. He is average at best on kickoff and punt returns, when he isn't fumbling. Can't catch most catchable balls. Is slower than half our receiving core. And while doing all of this, is also constantly doing his best Allen Iverson impression, jawing with everyone everywhere. Talking mad trash while average 28 yards a game receiving, 25 yards on kickoffs (mediocre) with a big return - 97 - against UNM raising up his average a couple yards with 35 attempts last year, setting a team record. I think Chambers does more harm than good, and I will like to see him right that ship, or have it righted for him. 25 yards is not good, that is a touchback, and throw in the fumbles and mishandles we are going backwards, not forwards. It is time for Falslev to play a more central role, and for heavens sakes, Phillips as well, as long as he is conditioned.



I am not saying that I don't like, or want him. I am saying that he needs to check himself before he does indeed, wreck himself, and the team with him if the content of the OP is correct, and I think it is.
K
keepitreal27
This is true but how many time did AC get the ball you guys keep saying he has not done anything but how can you when the OC is not getting him the ball how many times has he been wide open in games ALOT and the are not getting him the ball. and no has yet to tell me how many times he has drop & fumble the ball in two years please someone tell me.
K
keepitreal27
so who would you put back there two do kickoff please tell me who is better.
I
IndiCoug
keepitreal27 wrote:
so who would you put back there two do kickoff please tell me who is better.


Word out of camp is Phillips lite it up on kick and punt returns!!



I like Chambers but he tends to make some bone-headed moves like yesterdays trying to pick up JJ fumble and run it into the endzone. You learn in Pee-wee league to always drop on the ball. That mistake cost us 7. On the other hand I agree with Chambers that Heaps should be playing the majority of the reaps and should have been in the game in the second half yesterday. It was very frustrating.



Oh, remember the Sooner game last year where he fumbled on the one yard line?? Good Times. ;)
K
keepitreal27
i remember the sooner game last year but the way some people are talking is like he drops a ball every game or he fumbles every game thats why i want someone to please tell me how many times he has but no one can hmmmmmmmmm make you think.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
keepitreal27 wrote:
This is true but how many time did AC get the ball you guys keep saying he has not done anything but how can you when the OC is not getting him the ball


??? What are you even asking here? Yeah, we HATED Austin Collie. We always said, "He is not doing anything, and Chambers is not getting him the ball." I guess you mean, Chambers is not getting the ball. Last year he was the teams 2nd reciever, and he turned that into, wait for it... 28.9 yards receiving a game!


keepitreal27 wrote:
how many times has he been wide open in games ALOT and the are not getting him the ball. and no has yet to tell me how many times he has drop & fumble the ball in two years please someone tell me.


I would tell you how many times he has dropped and fumbled the ball, but I can't count that high. Seriously though he has fumbled the ball a lot. If you don't see that, then I don't know what I can show you. You do seem to have an obsession with Austin Collie, so let's go with that.



In 2008 Chambers and Collie played together:



Kickoffs:

CHAMBERS, O'Neil 35 kick returns for 809 yards. An average of 23.1, with 0 TDs and a long of 51 yards.

COLLIE, Austin 18 kick returns for 495 yards. Well over half, with half the attempts. An average of 27.5 yards with a long of 75.





Receiving

GMS NO YDS AVG TD LG AVG/G

Chambers 13 3 42 14.0 1 20 3.2

Collie 13 106 1,538 14.5 15 76 118.3
S
Schmoe
IndiCoug wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
I wonder if Doman said something like, "how 'bouts you catch the football when it hits you in the chest, and dive on a fumble instead of trying to pick it up." Chambers has to be on shaky ground right now with the coaches. All the receivers probably are.


Yep. I'm all for giving the kid a chance, but 2 completions and one pic aren't exactly stellar numbers. People are acting like we would have won the game had Heaps been in, which, I'm sorry to say, is not the case.


Schmoe you need to go back and watch the game. Of the 6 passes two where drops that where in both hands of the recievers and 1 was JJ fumble that was a 40 yard completion before he let the ball get stripped. Yes he threw a stupid interception but I don't recall any other BYU QB losing their job because of one interception. Max had what 5 interceptions against Utah and he wasn't even close to losing the job. :blush:


Indi, you need to go back and read my post, do you think we win this game if Heaps is in? Really? Like I said, I'm all for giving him a chance, but his performance so far hasn't been anything special and leaving him out was not the reason we lost the game.
B
byutx
Schmoe wrote:
I wonder if Doman said something like, "how 'bouts you catch the football when it hits you in the chest, and dive on a fumble instead of trying to pick it up." Chambers has to be on shaky ground right now with the coaches. All the receivers probably are.


Yep. I'm all for giving the kid a chance, but 2 completions and one pic aren't exactly stellar numbers. People are acting like we would have won the game had Heaps been in, which, I'm sorry to say, is not the case.

We may not have won, but we wouldn't have done any worse in the W-L column AND we would have given Jake some snaps and the chance to get some rythm.
K
keepitreal27
how many times did Chambers get the ball

Collie OVER A 100 TIMES

Chambers UNDER 20 TIME

CAN SOMEONE SAY PAD STATS
B
byutx
keepitreal27 wrote:
how many times did Chambers get the ball

Collie OVER A 100 TIMES

Chambers UNDER 20 TIME

CAN SOMEONE SAY PAD STATS

I can't say "pad stats", but I can say "greatest WR in the history of BYU"
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.