Archived Topic

Is it just me or do we run the ball better when Heaps is in?

by Italics · 9/12/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
I'm basing this 100% off my own impressions as I watched the game. For all I know, the stats could disagree with me.



But it's seemed to me in both games so far that our running-game becomes more effective when Heaps is in. Nelson runs for many yards, but I'm referring more to our backs (Kariya, JJ, etc.). My guess is that defenses respect Heaps' arm more and spread out their defense a bit more as a result.



It's pretty common knowledge that a powerful passing game helps open up holes and opportunities for the running game - and because of that, I guess my "discovery" is not all that groundbreaking. Regardless, it seems that having Heaps in not only opens up our passing game, but the running game as well.
C
Cougs_Rule
Of course! WHo really believes Nelson is really going to be effective throwing downfield? Its the second game of the season. What did it take one quarter for AF to adjust. So much for the posters who claimed that AF wouldnt know how to defend the Option attack bc AF sees it every week. DONT THINK SO!

Even though Jake is a Frosh, they all respect his passing and it opens the running game.

I think you are right on Italics
M
Mingjai
It should be easier to run when the defense doesn't pile 8 into the box like they were when Riley was the QB. I actually think Heaps is hurt by the play calling, because any time he's in the game, Anae has a tendancy to throw at least 2 out of every 3 plays. Just because Heaps is a better thrower doesn't mean he has to throw every down.



Just watching the Stanford game, I expect Heaps to be every bit as good as Luck (who is impressive), but Luck benefits from Stanford's willingness to have a running attack in the context of a pro-style, west coast offense.
I
Italics
Mingjai wrote:
It should be easier to run when the defense doesn't pile 8 into the box like they were when Riley was the QB.


Agreed. When Heaps is in, it really seems to keep the offense on their toes and guessing.
M
Matty-B
From What I saw in the first half and into the 3rd quarter, you are totally right.

I am really nervous about next week...

What are we gonna do @ QB?
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BYU rushing with Nelson under center= 49 carries, 235 yards (4.796 ypc)

BYU rushing with Heaps under center= 15 carries, 120 yards (8 ypc)



Looks like our running game is more efficient with out passing quarterback, and vice-versa. LOL.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
BYU rushing with Nelson under center= 49 carries, 235 yards (4.796 ypc)

BYU rushing with Heaps under center= 15 carries, 120 yards (8 ypc)



Looks like our running game is more efficient with out passing quarterback, and vice-versa. LOL.


Weird. I do get annoyed when I see Heaps go out and throw 3 balls. I have seen it at least 3-4 times where he is throwing on down one and two. That is not a good thing. With Riley we establish the run, so we can pass as well. I have little to no faith in our OC, I think that he has been carried by NFL talent that has covered up his mistakes the last few years in Pitta and Hall, (and a healthy Unga)
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BYU rushing with Nelson under center= 49 carries, 235 yards (4.796 ypc)

BYU rushing with Heaps under center= 15 carries, 120 yards (8 ypc)



Looks like our running game is more efficient with out passing quarterback, and vice-versa. LOL.


Weird. I do get annoyed when I see Heaps go out and throw 3 balls. I have seen it at least 3-4 times where he is throwing on down one and two. That is not a good thing. With Riley we establish the run, so we can pass as well. I have little to no faith in our OC, I think that he has been carried by NFL talent that has covered up his mistakes the last few years in Pitta and Hall, (and a healthy Unga)


I think both quarterbacks would benefit from a little bit of balance. Anae doesn't seem to comprehend that a passing quarterback doesn't have to pass all of the time and vice-versa.
B
BigCougsFan
How would Brandon Doman do as an OC?



Are we basically prepping him to be our next head coach? Let's let him call the offensive shots for a game or two.



I know Utah has done this in the past, and they were successful at it. Won 10 games on a rebuilding year while switching the OC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Italics
snoscythe wrote:
BYU rushing with Nelson under center= 49 carries, 235 yards (4.796 ypc)

BYU rushing with Heaps under center= 15 carries, 120 yards (8 ypc)



Looks like our running game is more efficient with out passing quarterback, and vice-versa. LOL.


Are those rushing numbers including rushes by Nelson? I'm guessing they are.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
BYU rushing with Nelson under center= 49 carries, 235 yards (4.796 ypc)

BYU rushing with Heaps under center= 15 carries, 120 yards (8 ypc)



Looks like our running game is more efficient with out passing quarterback, and vice-versa. LOL.


Weird. I do get annoyed when I see Heaps go out and throw 3 balls. I have seen it at least 3-4 times where he is throwing on down one and two. That is not a good thing. With Riley we establish the run, so we can pass as well. I have little to no faith in our OC, I think that he has been carried by NFL talent that has covered up his mistakes the last few years in Pitta and Hall, (and a healthy Unga)


I think both quarterbacks would benefit from a little bit of balance. Anae doesn't seem to comprehend that a passing quarterback doesn't have to pass all of the time and vice-versa.


Anae doesn't seem to comprehend a lot of things... like when you outweigh the guy across from you by nearly 100 pounds and a few inches, you shouldn't even pee outside of the tackles.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.