Archived Topic

When was the last time....?

by Matty-B · 9/12/2010

Advertisement
M
Matty-B
BYU HAD LESS THAN 88 Yards?????



I didn't get to witness the lovely mess today but I about crapped myself hen I checked the stats and this is what I saw... 88 total Passing Yards?????????????? Dubble yew tee efff

Seriously... when?





Were all these rushes by Nelson called play or was he just calling his own number and tucking it too early?

If its the latter, I dont care to see him start again
G
Guest
When BYU lost 0 to 3 to the Utes.
G
Guest
hawkwing wrote:
When BYU lost 0 to 3 to the Utes.

It was 41 yards passing in that game.
I
Italics
Matty-B wrote:





Were all these rushes by Nelson called play or was he just calling his own number and tucking it too early?

If its the latter, I dont care to see him start again


Some were play calls, but as the announcers said, it appeared the whole game that Nelson would only check for one receiver (sometimes two) and then immediately tuck and run if he didn't "see anything" (I put that in quotations because I question his ability to find open receivers. Our receiving corps this year isn't HORRIBLY different from what Max Hall had, and he didn't have to tuck and run nearly as much).



People can criticize Heaps for his interception if they want, but consistent 3-and-outs give the ball to the other team as well...
M
Matty-B
I am now watching the first quarter .

Nelson has thrown I think 4 passes, 3 of which were TERRIBLE throws.

He is just NOT a BYU QB IMO
Advertisement
M
Matty-B
Gonna post my peanut gallery posts as I watch our offense.



LOL @ Diluigi's fumble... WTF was that? Man was looking amazing until that moment
I
Italics
Matty-B wrote:
Gonna post my peanut gallery posts as I watch our offense.



LOL @ Diluigi's fumble... WTF was that? Man was looking amazing until that moment


It was the turning point of the game. That's what it was.



If he didn't fumble there and BYU went up 21-7, we won. I feel extremely confident in that.
M
Mingjai
Italics wrote:





Were all these rushes by Nelson called play or was he just calling his own number and tucking it too early?

If its the latter, I dont care to see him start again


Some were play calls, but as the announcers said, it appeared the whole game that Nelson would only check for one receiver (sometimes two) and then immediately tuck and run if he didn't "see anything" (I put that in quotations because I question his ability to find open receivers. Our receiving corps this year isn't HORRIBLY different from what Max Hall had, and he didn't have to tuck and run nearly as much).



People can criticize Heaps for his interception if they want, but consistent 3-and-outs give the ball to the other team as well...


So do fumbles.
I
Italics
Mingjai wrote:
Matty-B wrote:





Were all these rushes by Nelson called play or was he just calling his own number and tucking it too early?

If its the latter, I dont care to see him start again


Some were play calls, but as the announcers said, it appeared the whole game that Nelson would only check for one receiver (sometimes two) and then immediately tuck and run if he didn't "see anything" (I put that in quotations because I question his ability to find open receivers. Our receiving corps this year isn't HORRIBLY different from what Max Hall had, and he didn't have to tuck and run nearly as much).



People can criticize Heaps for his interception if they want, but consistent 3-and-outs give the ball to the other team as well...


So do fumbles.


Good point.
M
Matty-B
Argh... Jake Heaps just didn't think that guy was gonna pull off his man so soon to be able to make the play on the ball.

So was that Pick what put Heaps on the bench for the rest of the game?
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
Italics wrote:
Italics wrote:





Were all these rushes by Nelson called play or was he just calling his own number and tucking it too early?

If its the latter, I dont care to see him start again


Some were play calls, but as the announcers said, it appeared the whole game that Nelson would only check for one receiver (sometimes two) and then immediately tuck and run if he didn't "see anything" (I put that in quotations because I question his ability to find open receivers. Our receiving corps this year isn't HORRIBLY different from what Max Hall had, and he didn't have to tuck and run nearly as much).



People can criticize Heaps for his interception if they want, but consistent 3-and-outs give the ball to the other team as well...


So do fumbles.


Good point.


Which begs the question, why does an interception get you the hook, but not a fumble?
M
Matty-B
Makes me think they just like Nelson better and the whole playing a freshman thing is a bigger factor than it should be
C
Cougs_Rule
Nelson's days are limited. If Anae cant get over himself and play a freshman, then get Lark out there.

I mean its like watching Crowton self destruct bc he kept forcing a bad position. Nelson-Run. Nelson-run. Nelson-run.



"RUN Forest! RUN!"



Nelson has no confidence in his passing ability (why he checks, tucks, and runs), his receivers (which I cant argue with) or his teammates. Is that what we call leadership? Dont think so.

Then again, maybe Nelson deserves alot of credit, bc thats all the talent we have, along with some JJ--when he doesnt fumble.
B
Brayden Green
Mingjai wrote:

Which begs the question, why does an interception get you the hook, but not a fumble?


Because our OC is a hack, and has been riding on the backs of NFL talent (great O line, Collie, Hall, Pitta, healthy Unga) in a conference with 5 guaranteed wins a year.



Speaking of days being numbered...
J
JamieVallen
No offense, but JJ sort of sucked out there, those 100 yards are a bit deceiving, and who's to say somebody like quezada couldn't of gotten those same yards, what's with them not even giving him a chance? I just don't get what that's about. I mean don't get me wrong I'd rather have JJ then not at all, but we need to see what some of our other talented backs (or back) can do, it is a rebuilding year right? Same thing goes with giving Heaps more reps in the 4th quarter. I just don't get it. JJ and Oneil and need to run some gassers after these first 2 games, that's just waaaaaay too many fumbles for those two, and for heavens sake sit Ashworth down the guy is worthless. Thanks Stephenson for actually practicing in the offseason on your punts and kick offs (even know you have absolutely no accuracy) and to our veteran o line, how bout you go and run some gassers too. I mean come on how many false start penalties did you have? Going on the count really isn't that hard...
Advertisement
I
Italics
jmvcougar wrote:
No offense, but JJ sort of sucked out there, those 100 yards are a bit deceiving, and who's to say somebody like quezada couldn't of gotten those same yards, what's with them not even giving him a chance? I just don't get what that's about. I mean don't get me wrong I'd rather have JJ then not at all, but we need to see what some of our other talented backs (or back) can do, it is a rebuilding year right? Same thing goes with giving Heaps more reps in the 4th quarter. I just don't get it. JJ and Oneil and need to run some gassers after these first 2 games, that's just waaaaaay too many fumbles for those two, and for heavens sake sit Ashworth down the guy is worthless. Thanks Stephenson for actually practicing in the offseason on your punts and kick offs (even know you have absolutely no accuracy) and to our veteran o line, how bout you go and run some gassers too. I mean come on how many false start penalties did you have? Going on the count really isn't that hard...


LOTS of young talent that just isn't being used this year. 2011 and 2012 have potential to be great, but it seems the coaches are doing everything they can to turn our rebuilding year into rebuilding years.
J
JamieVallen
Italics wrote:
No offense, but JJ sort of sucked out there, those 100 yards are a bit deceiving, and who's to say somebody like quezada couldn't of gotten those same yards, what's with them not even giving him a chance? I just don't get what that's about. I mean don't get me wrong I'd rather have JJ then not at all, but we need to see what some of our other talented backs (or back) can do, it is a rebuilding year right? Same thing goes with giving Heaps more reps in the 4th quarter. I just don't get it. JJ and Oneil and need to run some gassers after these first 2 games, that's just waaaaaay too many fumbles for those two, and for heavens sake sit Ashworth down the guy is worthless. Thanks Stephenson for actually practicing in the offseason on your punts and kick offs (even know you have absolutely no accuracy) and to our veteran o line, how bout you go and run some gassers too. I mean come on how many false start penalties did you have? Going on the count really isn't that hard...


LOTS of young talent that just isn't being used this year. 2011 and 2012 have potential to be great, but it seems the coaches are doing everything they can to turn our rebuilding year into rebuilding years.


I wonder if it goes back to awarding those who work hard? and that's cool and all, but I don't think your job is to award players for having heart. (At least not all the time) His job is to win games, and as you said this being a rebuilding year and not having it turn into "rebuilding years", we need to play some of these young talented guys more. I mean it's an obvious and true statement to say that it will make us a better, more talented team in the long run. (and also don't get me wrong I'm not calling for Bronco's head or anything. I just think sometimes he's maybe too nice? maybe too conservative?? I don't exactly know what words I'm looking for there).
S
Spudman87
jmvcougar wrote:
jmvcougar wrote:
No offense, but JJ sort of sucked out there, those 100 yards are a bit deceiving, and who's to say somebody like quezada couldn't of gotten those same yards, what's with them not even giving him a chance? I just don't get what that's about. I mean don't get me wrong I'd rather have JJ then not at all, but we need to see what some of our other talented backs (or back) can do, it is a rebuilding year right? Same thing goes with giving Heaps more reps in the 4th quarter. I just don't get it. JJ and Oneil and need to run some gassers after these first 2 games, that's just waaaaaay too many fumbles for those two, and for heavens sake sit Ashworth down the guy is worthless. Thanks Stephenson for actually practicing in the offseason on your punts and kick offs (even know you have absolutely no accuracy) and to our veteran o line, how bout you go and run some gassers too. I mean come on how many false start penalties did you have? Going on the count really isn't that hard...


LOTS of young talent that just isn't being used this year. 2011 and 2012 have potential to be great, but it seems the coaches are doing everything they can to turn our rebuilding year into rebuilding years.


I wonder if it goes back to awarding those who work hard? and that's cool and all, butI don't think your job is to award players for having heart. (At least not all the time) His job is to win games, and as you said this being a rebuilding year and not having it turn into "rebuilding years", we need to play some of these young talented guys more. I mean it's an obvious and true statement to say that it will make us a better, more talented team in the long run. (and also don't get me wrong I'm not calling for Bronco's head or anything. I just think sometimes he's maybe too nice? maybe too conservative?? I don't exactly know what words I'm looking for there).


I don't know about you guys, but if the guys who played today are the ones with the most heart, I am pretty worried. I only saw one or two guys (optimistically) playing with heart after the 2nd quarter. Here's to hopin' that changes soon
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.