Archived Topic

Comparison W/the U

by OhYePoorFools · 9/12/2010

Advertisement
O
OhYePoorFools
I know that following a rather embarrassing loss, we shouldn't compare ourselves w/ our chief rival...however, when is the last time you remember the U being shellacked like we were today, and like we were last year against TCU and FS? I hate to admit it, but there is a toughness about the U that simply is not a part of football (contemporary) at the Y.

As much as I like Bronco, I've got to call him out on this one. As amazing of a coach as Bronco is, I gotta say that K-wit does a better job of preparing his team for each week's opponent. I cannot remember the last time the U just rolled over and died like we did today. It frustrates me to no end. It seems that every year, as good as we are, we always have these monumental lapses where we are just destroyed. I'm sorry, but a perrenial top 25 team should not be destroyed at all, ever. I'm not saying we shouldn't lose, but we should never be destroyed. And we should NEVER, EVER roll over with our soft underbellies exposed. It mad me sick to watch the last quarter of football.

And what is up with the refusal to play Heaps in the second half? I realize the pass rush was pretty intense, but watching Nelson throw those idiotic ducks down-field, and watching Air Force figure out his mobility--sticking him at the line time and time again--was rather embarrassing. If I have to watch that guy all year with Heaps standing on the sidelines...let me just say it will be a long, frustrating season.

This is turning in to a bit of a rant, but I guess I am really displeased with the calls today, and I feel that Bronco lacks intensity in preparing the team week in and week out. There doesn't seem to be enough meaness, if you will. As frustrating as it is, I do not see that same softness with our rotten rival to the North.
I
Italics
Sad, but true.



I think the main issue is with adjustments, though. Our coaches usually seem well prepared for the game... but when we're no, it's over. We are either too stubborn to make the changes that need to be made, or just aren't able to. I can't remember the last game where BYU was down by multiple scores that we came back to win or even came close to doing so.
C
CAFB_04-12
Were either of you alive to see Utah lose to a really bad UNLV in 2007?



Comparing Mendenhall teams to Whittingham teams is pointless.
O
OhYePoorFools
It is pointless, but I can't help myself. I guess I forgot about the UNLV loss...but still, the U was not blown out of that game. Furthermore, they seem to have a general intensity that we do not have. How many times have we been lit up over the past 5 years? TCU twice, Utah in 2008, FSU last year, now Air Force. I'm sure I am leaving a few out. My point is that I feel like we should never be lit up that way, and frustratingly it does not seem to happen to the U. In my opinion it is a matter of intensity...and the personality of a team is a reflection of their coach.
I
Italics
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Were either of you alive to see Utah lose to a really bad UNLV in 2007?



Comparing Mendenhall teams to Whittingham teams is pointless.


The poster's points are valid, and hard to argue with. We usually prepare for most of our games and do well, but every year we have at least a couple games where we completely blow it. Our coaches know how to do more with less, but adjustments just aren't a strength of ours. If the game plan going into the game is solid, we're hard to stop. Otherwise, forget about it.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm pretty sure that a 27-0 loss is worse than what we experienced today. Of course, it seems most likely with your username that you're actually a Utah fan.
C
CAFB_04-12
Italics wrote:
Were either of you alive to see Utah lose to a really bad UNLV in 2007?



Comparing Mendenhall teams to Whittingham teams is pointless.


The poster's points are valid, and hard to argue with. We usually prepare for most of our games and do well, but every year we have at least a couple games where we completely blow it. Our coaches know how to do more with less, but adjustments just aren't a strength of ours. If the game plan going into the game is solid, we're hard to stop. Otherwise, forget about it.

Well, the OP asked when the U got blasted like BYU got blasted and I provided a recent example. His premise that somehow Whittingham prepares tougher teams is laughable.
I
Italics
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Were either of you alive to see Utah lose to a really bad UNLV in 2007?



Comparing Mendenhall teams to Whittingham teams is pointless.


The poster's points are valid, and hard to argue with. We usually prepare for most of our games and do well, but every year we have at least a couple games where we completely blow it. Our coaches know how to do more with less, but adjustments just aren't a strength of ours. If the game plan going into the game is solid, we're hard to stop. Otherwise, forget about it.

Well, the OP asked when the U got blasted like BYU got blasted and I provided a recent example. His premise that somehow Whittingham prepares tougher teams is laughable.


Well then I guess I agree with him. Yewtah has - for the most part - done a great job in recent years at showing up strong in big games. It's not to say that BYU has never done the same, but we can't seem to surpass "very good." I'd like to see us be an elite team. and I think we have the potential to if we can take advantage of what we've got now *cough* heaps *cough*



PS - No need to accuse the poster of being a :utard: fan. Unless "wolf" is somewhere in his username.
A
AmmonCougar1
I agree that comparisons are pointless with the utes but have you already forgotten the 55-28 loss to TCU LAST YEAR? 2006 31-10 to UCLA, 36-3 to Boise State, 31-15 to Wyoming. I don't know. Seems to me your "point" blows hard. Nice try though.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
C
CAFB_04-12
Italics wrote:
Italics wrote:
Were either of you alive to see Utah lose to a really bad UNLV in 2007?



Comparing Mendenhall teams to Whittingham teams is pointless.


The poster's points are valid, and hard to argue with. We usually prepare for most of our games and do well, but every year we have at least a couple games where we completely blow it. Our coaches know how to do more with less, but adjustments just aren't a strength of ours. If the game plan going into the game is solid, we're hard to stop. Otherwise, forget about it.

Well, the OP asked when the U got blasted like BYU got blasted and I provided a recent example. His premise that somehow Whittingham prepares tougher teams is laughable.


Well then I guess I agree with him. Yewtah has - for the most part - done a great job in recent years at showing up strong in big games. It's not to say that BYU has never done the same, but we can't seem to surpass "very good." I'd like to see us be an elite team. and I think we have the potential to if we can take advantage of what we've got now *cough* heaps *cough*



PS - No need to accuse the poster of being a :utard: fan. Unless "wolf" is somewhere in his username.

BYU v AFA in 2010 was not a big game. BYU v UW was a much "bigger" game. BYU v FSU is a big game. You're beginning a new argument here and changing the subject.
Advertisement
I
Italics
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Were either of you alive to see Utah lose to a really bad UNLV in 2007?



Comparing Mendenhall teams to Whittingham teams is pointless.


The poster's points are valid, and hard to argue with. We usually prepare for most of our games and do well, but every year we have at least a couple games where we completely blow it. Our coaches know how to do more with less, but adjustments just aren't a strength of ours. If the game plan going into the game is solid, we're hard to stop. Otherwise, forget about it.

Well, the OP asked when the U got blasted like BYU got blasted and I provided a recent example. His premise that somehow Whittingham prepares tougher teams is laughable.


Well then I guess I agree with him. Yewtah has - for the most part - done a great job in recent years at showing up strong in big games. It's not to say that BYU has never done the same, but we can't seem to surpass "very good." I'd like to see us be an elite team. and I think we have the potential to if we can take advantage of what we've got now *cough* heaps *cough*



PS - No need to accuse the poster of being a :utard: fan. Unless "wolf" is somewhere in his username.

BYU v AFA in 2010 was not a big game. BYU v UW was a much "bigger" game. BYU v FSU is a big game. You're beginning a new argument here and changing the subject.


I wouldn't say we were extremely prepared for Washington. I'm not saying I could have done a better job, I'm just saying. We did a good job at capitalizing on their mistakes - and managing to not make any major mistakes ourselves. And the original subject was dealing with how adequately BYU prepares for games. If our players - like you - didn't consider today's game a big game for our season, then it explains our performance, I guess.
C
CAFB_04-12
Okay, I guess 4 consecutive 10 win seasons means BYU doesn't prepare well for games.



BYU prepares the exact same for every opponent, and I can't help but believe that all the coaches give it their best professional shot every week. You think that means we should win every game?
I
Italics
CAFB_04-12 wrote:



BYU prepares the exact same for every opponent


Can't disagree with you here - because Bronco has admitted to this himself.



What worries me is that you see no problem with that.
C
CAFB_04-12
Italics wrote:



BYU prepares the exact same for every opponent


Can't disagree with you here - because Bronco has admitted to this himself.



What worries me is that you see no problem with that.


Well, Bronco has won more games in his first 5 seasons than Edwards did in his first 5 years.



So yeah, I have no problem with how Mendenhall prepares his team.



I'll say it again. 4 consecutive 10 win seasons. Period.



Do you have any idea of what Mendenhall's road conference record is? It's *very* good.



The sky is not falling in Provo because BYU dropped a game to what may be a good AFA team.



BYU has some things to fix, though. I won't argue that.
S
Schmoe
When you play to the level of your competition, you are IN every game more, but you also tend to lose to or play close with inferior teams a lot more. When you play even keel, you generally blow out inferior teams but have a harder time staying with better teams (until you've built your program to the point that there are no better teams, then you bust blow by everyone). Again, two different styles, both with ups and downs, but I like Bronco's style more, personally.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.