Archived Topic

Is Heaps Set for a Breakout Game

by mraven · 9/7/2010

Advertisement
M
mraven
I was just thinking about our game against Air Force and was wondering if this is going to be a breakout game for Heaps. My reasoning is twofold. First, I don't know if Nelson can be nearly as effective running the ball against AF as he was against UW. I only say that because AF practiced against an option type offense through all of Fall camp (vs their own offense), whereas UW had no warning they were going to get so much of that from Nelson. If Nelson struggles running, does Heaps get more reps? Second, Heaps now has the first game jitters out of the way. So, does no first game jitters + more reps = much bigger game for Heaps. Throw in the fact that their starting shutdown corner probably won't be playing and Heaps may have the chance for quite a game. Thoughts?
S
SpiffCoug
Yes, Heaps is set up for a breakout game. No it won't come against AF. Nelson doesn't run an option type offense. He had eight carries. Hall had three games of eight or more carries last year and another three games of eight or more carries the year before. Nelson didn't run the ball an inordinate amount of the time for a BYU QB.



I don't think either QB is going to struggle overly against AF. I expect us to win, and relatively handily - maybe 7-10 points.
L
Lawboy
Most people have us winning in the 34-31 to 24-20 range. I expect that to be it.



And I would love the breakout game to come at Florida State, personally.
S
Schmoe
Heaps is so good that he will definitely have a "breakout game," but it may not come this soon in his college career (though I definitely expect it by the end of the season).
C
Cougarbib
Patience is in order boys. Heaps won't have to deal with first game, opening game, or jilted UW syndrome and pressure nut it will be a road game against an unorthodox opponent. Make that his first road game.



FSU will be his first road game clear across the country in likely humid conditions with the tomahawks chopping and where football us life on the field and in the stands.



Both QBs will have jitters in Tallahassee.



That said, we have a great OL and a punter who can be amazing at times. But then he will be punting at sea level.



If the D shows ip, the receivers catch the passes, we avoid penalties and turnovers and a fullback reps up and tight ends are solid - I think we can beat FSU on the road. A lot of odd, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
mraven wrote:
I was just thinking about our game against Air Force and was wondering if this is going to be a breakout game for Heaps. My reasoning is twofold. First, I don't know if Nelson can be nearly as effective running the ball against AF as he was against UW. I only say that because AF practiced against an option type offense through all of Fall camp (vs their own offense), whereas UW had no warning they were going to get so much of that from Nelson. If Nelson struggles running, does Heaps get more reps? Second, Heaps now has the first game jitters out of the way. So, does no first game jitters + more reps = much bigger game for Heaps. Throw in the fact that their starting shutdown corner probably won't be playing and Heaps may have the chance for quite a game. Thoughts?


I'm pretty sure that Washington's defense is used to practicing against a mobile QB. I don't see Air Force's defense having that great of an edge.
D
Dcr36
Plus, isn't AF known for a good pass defense? I know they were last year. They never really gave Max any problems, but they certainly gave Case Keenum plenty of headaches in their bowl game.



Not saying Heaps/Riley won't be able to handle them, but if they're anything like they were last year, it might not be the game for Heaps to find his groove.
S
scott715
They got a lot of picks last year.
B
blue42
Schmoe wrote:
Heaps is so good that he will definitely have a "breakout game


Heaps is so good that he doesn't have to go to a breakout game because Chuck Norris will bring the game to him. :D (I know it doesn't make any sense!)
I
Italics
After the way we tore up their secondary last year, it wouldn't surprise me for Heaps to have a great game.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Ok, some of you may scorn me for suggesting the following.

Even if Jake looked to be having a break out game against AF, Bronco would slow it down. I believe he will do enough to win the game. He doesnt want Jake or this team to get ahead of itself or full of themselves. Its measured. Its proportional. Its Bronco (with this team, this year).

Further, i wouldn't be surprised, as some of you have suggested, if Jake has a "better game" than Riley in contrast to UW game. Which at some level, kind of fits perfectly with Bronco's master plan (or maybe Doman's at least) that Jake slightly edge Riley in game 2 and Jake takes the next step in his progression to start by game 4 or 5. I really dont think Bronco wants to go all season with the 2QB system.

In fact, wouldnt also be surprised to see Jake start this week. Have we heard who the starter will be?
W
WACoug
kitic77 wrote:
Yes, Heaps is set up for a breakout game. No it won't come against AF. Nelson doesn't run an option type offense. He had eight carries. Hall had three games of eight or more carries last year and another three games of eight or more carries the year before. Nelson didn't run the ball an inordinate amount of the time for a BYU QB.



I don't think either QB is going to struggle overly against AF. I expect us to win, and relatively handily - maybe 7-10 points.


C'mon. How many of those Max Hall runs were dive option? Or even designed QB runs? Riley also only played half a game. Riley isn't running a pure option based offense but he is definitely running a more option based offense than we have seen since Brandon Doman. He absolutely ran more than any BYU QB in recent memory. There is no shame in saying that Riley is running a more option/running based offense than BYU's normal offense recently. There is also no shame in saying Riley doesn't have the same ability that Jake does throwing the ball. They can both do things the other can't do, at least not nearly as well. If they were the same type of player they wouldn't both be seeing time.
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
Yes, Heaps is set up for a breakout game. No it won't come against AF. Nelson doesn't run an option type offense.

Nelson absolutely runs an option offense. Not every play, and he obviously trades series with Heaps, but there's no doubt that he often runs the option.



And no, I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st QB out for BYU was Heaps. They are co-starters. It would be more expected for Nelson to start again though.
L
Lawboy
From the sound of it, Bronco said he is not changing the QB approach, so I expect them to alternate reps, with Riley going first. It worked v. UW, both guys have bought into it, so no reason to switch it up--yet.



In order to beat FSU, TCU and Utah, we will need either heaps or Riley to have a HUGE game. Playing as they both did v. UW would be great--no turnovers, but we might need a little bit more in those other 3 games, all on the road.



I can see this rotation happening all year this way, and then I would expect Jake to win the job next year. Riley is in a nice "caretaker" position and is doing really well so far, but Jake is without a doubt the future of the program. His upside is just much higher, without question.
S
scott715
Bronco has said that Riley will start and both will play.
Advertisement
Q
QuarterbackU
We will play two QBs until the pressure in a game gets so high that Bronco has to go with the hot hand or we lose one maybe two games. You start losing with this 2 QB thing and all hell is going to break lose in Cougarland and Bronco will be forced to choose one.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.