Archived Topic

Drew Phillips

by mraven · 9/7/2010

Advertisement
M
mraven
So I was just wondering what the story is with Drew Phillips. I seem to remember his name being among those listed as red-shirting this year. However, on multiple occasions I saw him suited up on the sideline during the Washington game. If he is definitely being red-shirted this year, why was he even on the sideline? Is it because it was a home game and everyone, even the redshirts, can attend? If so, I didn't know that's how it worked. Can anyone explain that to me? Just curious.
S
scott715
Redshirts can dress. If there were a couple of injuries he could have been called on. Redshirts are not final until the end of the year.
R
runbyu1
Phillips insisted with Coaches that he did not want nor would not take his redshirt year unless they were forced him to take it...he said he'd rather burn the year if he never saw the field. He wants to give himself the option to play in to the kick return, special teams, and possibly RB spots.
R
runbyu1
And yes, redshirts CAN dress, but typically don't.
L
Lawboy
The NCAA clearinghouse crap that set him back has hurt his chances. I would love to see him return kicks instead of JJ, who I'd rather not risk on special teams. Would love to see JD Falsev back there as well. But I do like hte new emphasis Bronco put on special teams and playing some of his best guys there. It won the UW game for us.
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
What number is Phillips??? I thought it was 20, until I saw Juice wearing that number.
M
mraven
runbyu1 wrote:
Phillips insisted with Coaches that he did not want nor would not take his redshirt year unless they were forced him to take it...he said he'd rather burn the year if he never saw the field. He wants to give himself the option to play in to the kick return, special teams, and possibly RB spots.


Not that I doubt you, but . . . source?
J
jonnylingo
BigCougsFan wrote:
What number is Phillips??? I thought it was 20, until I saw Juice wearing that number.


It was 20 but juice took it after red shirt assignment were given.



I think that phillips should be used as a kick returner. I am not the coach so i trust them, but bronco's main reason for red shirting him appears to be that it was bad for team morale to have someone start who didn't pay his dues in fall camp whether it was his fault or not. forget that!!! the kids returned 3 kicks in 2 days during practice last week. i don't recall even reading one report of anybody returning anything all through spring and fall camp together.



bottom line. if he is good enough to return 3 in one of the first weeks he was able to participate and be healthy, then put him in. this redshirt bugs me more then any of them. get him on the field this year. we will need the help with field position as our offense gets their legs.
M
mraven
jonnylingo wrote:



the kids returned 3 kicks in 2 days during practice last week. i don't recall even reading one report of anybody returning anything all through spring and fall camp together.



bottom line. if he is good enough to return 3 in one of the first weeks he was able to participate and be healthy, then put him in.


What is your source for this information? I haven't read anything from the press about Phillips practice performance, so I'm just wondering where you got the information.
J
jonnylingo
mraven wrote:



the kids returned 3 kicks in 2 days during practice last week. i don't recall even reading one report of anybody returning anything all through spring and fall camp together.



bottom line. if he is good enough to return 3 in one of the first weeks he was able to participate and be healthy, then put him in.


What is your source for this information? I haven't read anything from the press about Phillips practice performance, so I'm just wondering where you got the information.


TBS, rumorboard. Phillips' brother confirmed it on rumorboard.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Is it even confirmed that Phillips is Red-Shirting this year??
S
snoscythe
beauso79 wrote:
Is it even confirmed that Phillips is Red-Shirting this year??


Bronco refuses to make that decision until after the bowl game. He thinks it makes them work harder to earn their RS instead of coasting for the season.
M
mraven
According to Wrubell, among those listed as "Redshirt Candidates", or in other words, among the 23 players listed for the "prep team" is Drew Phillips. Of course, I suppose if Phillips was really showing his stuff, this could change. Here is the source: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=12164578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
Mars


When I saw Phillips in full gear warming up for Washington, I was sure he would be starting at PR and KR.

Watching Chambers, I hope he at least gets that chance against Air Force.



If he travels this game, he'll play. More likely he's left at home in Provo.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.