Archived Topic

Should we trust Bronco on the 2 qb system?

by urroner · 9/6/2010

Advertisement
U
urroner
Strictly my POV, but, while it's fun, entertaining, and sometimes educational for us BYU fanatics and blue-goggled dweebs to pontificate, bloviate, and go ape on about the strengths/weaknesses of the 2 qb system, we need to realize that maybe Bronco might know a thing or two that we don't know. I realize that some of you CCers know a lot about football and BYU and some of you not only know a lot, but you know a hell of a lot which is a hell of a lot more than me.



I'm just one of those fans who will carry the water for the team, but doesn't care why since it's sooooo much fun being around the team.
W
wildeone
YES, the point is we won, and we scored the most points in an opener than any other year in re bronco era, so I'm not worried about it



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
Saturday's game made a beliver out of me. Bronco is able to change horses in the middle of a stream and not get wet.



I'm impressed with Bronco's ability to stay out of a rut. Remember how he changed the defense in 2006? Using 2 QB's hasn't been effective at BYU for years, but Bronco knows the tools he has available, and he uses them well.
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think we should trust Bronco. He hasn't done anything that should warrant any trust. He hasn't given us any reason to think that he knows what he's doing when it comes to the QB position. TIC.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes. For now. Although I would still like to see an evolution, eventually to a more situational QB2 system. Until Jake can successfully--

1. convert 3rd and shorts,

2. convert in the blue-zone, and

3. get through normal freshman jitters--which may take all season. How is it possible to simulate an AF or FSU or TCU or U game?
Advertisement
W
wildeone
dmcougar wrote:
Yes. For now. Although I would still like to see an evolution, eventually to a more situational QB2 system. Until Jake can successfully--

1. convert 3rd and shorts,

2. convert in the blue-zone, and

3. get through normal freshman jitters--which may take all season. How is it possible to simulate an AF or FSU or TCU or U game?

The problem with situational qbs is that you know what is likely coming (much more so than how they played it Saturday), and that could

Make the offense less effective



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I was wondering why we have jake Kuresa coming next year. Maybe he will be the next piece in the 2 QB system. Is this going to become the norm at the Y?
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
I was wondering why we have jake Kuresa coming next year. Maybe he will be the next piece in the 2 QB system. Is this going to become the norm at the Y?

Does Kuresa have mission plans? If so he wouldn't be in the QB picture until 2014 at the earliest. And you stockpile talent and that is one thing Kuresa definitely has!
S
Short_Changed
scott715 wrote:
I was wondering why we have jake Kuresa coming next year. Maybe he will be the next piece in the 2 QB system. Is this going to become the norm at the Y?


I think you mean Alex not Jake. Jake was the OL and is his older brother. I think we recruited Alex as an "athlete". He could play QB, WR, or DB.
C
craigoscarson
kitic77 wrote:
I was wondering why we have jake Kuresa coming next year. Maybe he will be the next piece in the 2 QB system. Is this going to become the norm at the Y?

Does Kuresa have mission plans? If so he wouldn't be in the QB picture until 2014 at the earliest. And you stockpile talent and that is one thing Kuresa definitely has!


kuresa is doug flutie, drew brees 2.0



A nice player to have in the stockpile after his mission.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Now that this thread is blown up----I really dont know enough about Alex. What I had heard is that he is more of a mobile qb--not really know for his throwing abilities. Family loyalty?
C
Cougs_Rule
wildeone wrote:
Yes. For now. Although I would still like to see an evolution, eventually to a more situational QB2 system. Until Jake can successfully--

1. convert 3rd and shorts,

2. convert in the blue-zone, and

3. get through normal freshman jitters--which may take all season. How is it possible to simulate an AF or FSU or TCU or U game?

The problem with situational qbs is that you know what is likely coming (much more so than how they played it Saturday), and that could

Make the offense less effective



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Huh? What do you think the defenses do now? Hmmmm, lets see, "#13 is in, what do we think he is likely to do?" "Oh, wait, now #9 is in what do we think he is likely to do?"

That predictability already exists. The point is, it keeps defenses even more off-balance. But even more, if we are down 2 TD's in the fourth, why does it matter? Jake is the giuy to go downfield--period.

If we are 3rd and 4, ready to score, who has a better chance of scoring?
C
craigoscarson
dmcougar wrote:
Now that this thread is blown up----I really dont know enough about Alex. What I had heard is that he is more of a mobile qb--not really know for his throwing abilities. Family loyalty?


You heard wrong. Alex Kuresa can wing it for his size. He's a quarterback, plain and simple.
S
snoscythe
Based on what he's said in interviews so far, I think Bronco is still looking to name a #1. Immediately after the game, when asked if the two-QB system was staying, Bronco said something along the lines of "looks like it for now."



Reading way too much into that and other comments he's made, I don't think Bronco has bought into the system, but he also hasn't been able to name a #1 yet. I expect him to pick a primary guy for FSU, and to that extent, I trust him.
C
Cougs_Rule
snoscythe wrote:
Based on what he's said in interviews so far, I think Bronco is still looking to name a #1. Immediately after the game, when asked if the two-QB system was staying, Bronco said something along the lines of "looks like it for now."



Reading way too much into that and other comments he's made, I don't think Bronco has bought into the system, but he also hasn't been able to name a #1 yet. I expect him to pick a primary guy for FSU, and to that extent, I trust him.


Ditto. But there also seemed to be a pleasant, almost satisfying response when he said that. Almost as if he was saying, "see I told all y'all that there was ample justification for using both." Or "ya, not so easy to name a starter and go with one, is it?!"
Advertisement
S
scott715
In God we trust and Bronco too!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.