Archived Topic

Jaime Hill--my new hero

by vancouvercougar · 9/6/2010

Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Hill did a great job developing new players. He must have made some adjustments for our D to shutout the Huskies in the 2nd half.
C
Cougs_Rule
NO question. All the D deserves credit. Fuga was huge. The Dline was huge. Now, lets see what they can do against what looks to be an AF team who can score. granted their opponent was weak, but still, 65 points is alot of offensive production.
Y
Y 4 Ever
I loved the 2 DL, 5 LB look on 2nd or 3rd and long-ish. Gotta admit I was surprised watching Van Noy come in and replace a down lineman, and watching Hunter line up over center. First time I saw it I wonder what in the heck they were doing...and then I saw the results. I guess when your best athletes on D are your LBs, it can't hurt to have a few more on the field.
A
ABYUFAN
I thought that the D was great too! Now I feel bad for having egged Hill's house. (ps that second part was TIC)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
33311710 wrote:
I loved the 2 DL, 5 LB look on 2nd or 3rd and long-ish. Gotta admit I was surprised watching Van Noy come in and replace a down lineman, and watching Hunter line up over center. First time I saw it I wonder what in the heck they were doing...and then I saw the results. I guess when your best athletes on D are your LBs, it can't hurt to have a few more on the field.


I haven't seen the whole game yet (DVR'd it), but I listened to it live. I was surprised by the 2-5-4 lineup too. Did they use it more than a couple of times? It seemed effective the way Wrubel was calling it.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Hill apparently made a big impression on our replacement for Andrew Rich. Apparently, Joe Sampson, has let it be known that he might be making his decision tonight. Stay tuned. That's the one position that we need to have locked down by next season and Sampson is the perfect fit; a guy that can come in immediately in the spring, take that job, and seemlessly run with the 2011-2013 monster teams we're going to have.



http://byu.scout.com/2/999286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



stay tuned.... monday night could bring the big fish we need, and Jaime Hill is a huge reason for it
V
vancouvercougar
I just hope Hill stays at BYU for a couple more years rather than take a HC job.
C
craigoscarson
vancouvercougar wrote:
I just hope Hill stays at BYU for a couple more years rather than take a HC job.


If he truly wants the big payday and not the New Mexico or Wyoming job, he'll stick around and ride it out til 2014.
Y
Y 4 Ever
vancouvercougar wrote:
I loved the 2 DL, 5 LB look on 2nd or 3rd and long-ish. Gotta admit I was surprised watching Van Noy come in and replace a down lineman, and watching Hunter line up over center. First time I saw it I wonder what in the heck they were doing...and then I saw the results. I guess when your best athletes on D are your LBs, it can't hurt to have a few more on the field.


I haven't seen the whole game yet (DVR'd it), but I listened to it live. I was surprised by the 2-5-4 lineup too. Did they use it more than a couple of times? It seemed effective the way Wrubel was calling it.


I noticed it quite often it seemed - and the closer UW got to the goal line, the more often I noticed it. I was live at the game and noticed - haven't watched the replay. But it seemed to work well. I wonder if this package was put in place specifically to keep Locker's legs in check, or if we'll see it more often. I'd love to run this against the :utard: on third and longs.
C
Cougs_Rule
Interesting. Given the many mobile QB's we face this year, well at least first four games and then TCU, sounding like Hill schemed for this. AND it just so happens we have the athletes to do this. Very cool stuff.
Advertisement
I
Italics
dmcougar wrote:
NO question. All the D deserves credit. Fuga was huge. The Dline was huge. Now, lets see what they can do against what looks to be an AF team who can score. granted their opponent was weak, but still, 65 points is alot of offensive production.


Air Force put up 70+ in their opener last year against a different FCS opponent. I think we'll be able to stop them just fine.
Y
Y 4 Ever
dmcougar wrote:
Interesting. Given the many mobile QB's we face this year, well at least first four games and then TCU, sounding like Hill schemed for this. AND it just so happens we have the athletes to do this. Very cool stuff.


What I thought was the most interesting about it is it seemed like they just had a MLB line up like the NT, but in a two point stance. And sometimes he would take on the center/guards, sometimes he would drop back. Had to be confusing for the OLINE on their blocking assignments.
U
urroner
It seems that somebody else thinks that Jamie Hill did just fine.



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/byusports/50230423-65/think-game-played-whether.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Who was the unsung hero in BYU's 23-17 win over Washington last week?

Coach Bronco Mendenhall said it was defensive coordinator Jaime Hill, and players such as Jordan Pendleton, Shane Hunter and Eathyn Manumaleuna concurred. Mendenhall said Hill's halftime adjustments and game plan to keep UW quarterback Jake Locker in the pocket were critical to BYU's defensive success.



And it was Hill's call to drop eight and rush three on Washington's final offensive play that resulted in Manumaleuna's deflection of a Locker pass.



"We anticipated because it was relatively short to intermediate yardage the ball would come out quickly, and that gave us the chance to be on the underneath routes quicker than we had been, because there were some seams in there. The risk was a possible scramble by Locker. But we made a calculated guess and he threw it quickly and on time and we happened to be in the right place," Mendenhall said.



"Jaime Hill, I thought he called a great game. A couple of the fourth down stops, and to get what he got out of our defensive players in the first game, I was really impressed with the job he did. I have not been in a defensive meeting all fall camp. So I have been focusing on special teams. So it was fun to be able to delegate completely, do something else, and have that side come through. So I am happy for the defense."
C
craigoscarson
Italics wrote:
NO question. All the D deserves credit. Fuga was huge. The Dline was huge. Now, lets see what they can do against what looks to be an AF team who can score. granted their opponent was weak, but still, 65 points is alot of offensive production.


Air Force put up 70+ in their opener last year against a different FCS opponent. I think we'll be able to stop them just fine.


Northwestern State didnt' win a single game last year. That AFA game is meaningless aside from the fact that Rembert got hurt. Rembert is the one guy on AFA that could start for us tommorrow. (assuming he was healthy)
B
BigCougsFan
Was it just me... Or did we not blitz a whole lot? Was it because of the 2-5 line up?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
BigCougsFan wrote:
Was it just me... Or did we not blitz a whole lot? Was it because of the 2-5 line up?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You dont' want to make it a habit of blitzing a 225 lb QB that runs a 4.4. 40, especially as poor as he is with accuracy. Let' him hang himself.



It'll be interesting to see how we handle Kapernick and Ponder; neither run like Locker, and both have different strengths and weaknesses in the passing game. (and i guess to a lesser extent, jefferson and borrell)
I
Italics
craigoscarson wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
NO question. All the D deserves credit. Fuga was huge. The Dline was huge. Now, lets see what they can do against what looks to be an AF team who can score. granted their opponent was weak, but still, 65 points is alot of offensive production.


Air Force put up 70 in their opener last year against a different FCS opponent. I think we'll be able to stop them just fine.


Northwestern State didnt' win a single game last year. That AFA game is meaningless aside from the fact that Rembert got hurt. Rembert is the one guy on AFA that could start for us tommorrow. (assuming he was healthy)


That's my point. AFA scoring 60 again Northwestern State means nothing when AFA scored 70 against a better FCS team last year and we still played them just fine.



PS - We play tomorrow!? SWEET!!!
Y
YBrit
His D gave up about 300 yards too many for my liking, but keep up the pressure.
B
BigCougsFan
craigoscarson wrote:
Was it just me... Or did we not blitz a whole lot? Was it because of the 2-5 line up?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You dont' want to make it a habit of blitzing a 225 lb QB that runs a 4.4. 40, especially as poor as he is with accuracy. Let' him hang himself.



It'll be interesting to see how we handle Kapernick and Ponder; neither run like Locker, and both have different strengths and weaknesses in the passing game. (and i guess to a lesser extent, jefferson and borrell)


Exactly! Our outside linebackers contained the outsides very well -- where Locker is the most dangerous at. I don't want to blitz on a mobile QB like him.



I was at the game, but I honestly didn't notice our 2-5 lineup, but did see we spied on the QB a lot.



Kinda wished Jordan Pendelton would turn his head around when he's on a WR who was about to catch the ball. He could've broken a few passes, or get the INT.
F
Florwood
[quote="urroner"]And it was Hill's call to drop eight and rush three on Washington's final offensive play that resulted in Manumaleuna's deflection of a Locker pass.

/quote]



Drop eight, rush three. Sounds like the "Plenty of time, plenty of time" play from JoBeck lore. Glad the result was still in BYU's favor.



Question on pronunciation of Romney Fuga's name. I assume he's Polynesian, and that his last name rhymes with Unga. But it seemed the announcer was calling him Fooga all night. Can someone tell me for sure how he pronounces his name?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.