Archived Topic

Heaps vs Nelson

by CannonCougar85 · 9/6/2010

Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
The only stat BYU fans need to look at is that BYU won with the 2 QB system.



In reading some of the other threads I cannot believe some of the over the top analysis of these 2 QB's that is going on. I mean we won the game people!! We won the game using the 2 QB system!! Some people are saying that we would have won by more points if Nelson would have played the whole game. Other people are saying the same thing about Heaps. All of that is PURE speculation.



Here's the only FACT that can be gathered from the game:

BYU played with Jake Heaps and Riley Nelson in a 2 QB system and won the game.

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/3677732.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Okay, let's get this much straight--UW is not a good team. They haven't won on the road since 2007. But we beat them by less than a TD at our house. I don't think anyone is trying to make vinegar out of this win--rather, I think people are looking ahead. If we expect to beat AFA, TCU, FSU, or Utah, we are going to need to put up more than 23 points--and all of those games are on the road.



There needs to be improvement in our offensive efficiency, and the QB spot is the first place to look.
W
wildeone
snoscythe wrote:
Okay, let's get this much straight--UW is not a good team. They haven't won on the road since 2007. But we beat them by less than a TD at our house. I don't think anyone is trying to make vinegar out of this win--rather, I think people are looking ahead. If we expect to beat AFA, TCU, FSU, or Utah, we are going to need to put up more than 23 points--and all of those games are on the road.



There needs to be improvement in our offensive efficiency, and the QB spot is the first place to look.

23 points last night was the most by a byu team in the opener during mendenhalls tenure here, I'm not worried about the offense at all!!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
The first place to look would be dropped passes. And then maybe poorly thrown balls. Our other focus would be how much our d stopped UW vs how much UW stopped themselves. The offense will improve. Hpefully our d which looked nearly as impressive as the d that stuffed Oklahoma will be able to stop FSU and TCU a little better than we did last year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
CannonCougar85 wrote:
The only stat BYU fans need to look at is that BYU won with the 2 QB system.



In reading some of the other threads I cannot believe some of the over the top analysis of these 2 QB's that is going on. I mean we won the game people!! We won the game using the 2 QB system!! Some people are saying that we would have won by more points if Nelson would have played the whole game. Other people are saying the same thing about Heaps. All of that is PURE speculation.



Here's the only FACT that can be gathered from the game:

BYU played with Jake Heaps and Riley Nelson in a 2 QB system and won the game.

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/3677732.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Amen. All these Monday morning dark rain clouds can stick it. BYU will be good this year; we might lose a game because of the 2 qb system but big deal, we might just be able to enjoy our present and build for the future too.True freshmen are going to make mistakes so deal with them. The redshirt is off the table so stop complaining and let it play out.



Riley was phenomenal and Heaps showed us how good a true freshman can be. (boy, he throws a nice ball)



http://www.gazette.com/sports/rembert-104190-byu-reggie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;




Calhoun praised both starter Riley Nelson and freshman Jake Heaps. Nelson started, but Calhoun saved his highest praise for Heaps.





“I think the one kid is a slam-dunk (NFL) first round pick,” Calhoun said. “He’s as slam dunk as it gets.”





BYU has had quarterbacks like Ty Detmer, Steve Young and Jim McMahon, but Calhoun said Heaps’ potential trumps them all.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
snoscythe wrote:
Okay, let's get this much straight--UW is not a good team. They haven't won on the road since 2007. But we beat them by less than a TD at our house. I don't think anyone is trying to make vinegar out of this win--rather, I think people are looking ahead. If we expect to beat AFA, TCU, FSU, or Utah, we are going to need to put up more than 23 points--and all of those games are on the road.



There needs to be improvement in our offensive efficiency, and the QB spot is the first place to look.


It's not like anyone is efficient the 1st week of the season when they actually play a good team to start out. Just ask Oklahoma (oops Oklahoma didn't play a good team)

The improvement will come; in fact both players can concentrate on learning and preparing for their snaps which might actually help with their focus and not detract.



I also dont' think we know much about Washington until they play more this year.



What i do take away from this game, was that BYU was secure with the ball for the most part. Jake didn't force things and for the most part put the ball exactly where it needed to be; they just didnt' catch them all. It's like putting Magic Johnson on a pee-wee league team and asking those kids to catch the no-look pass.



We'll be fine. It'll be a fun season and yes, we coudl drop a game or two we're favored in. Big deal, we've earned the right to rebuild the way we see fit. At least this way we prepare for the future, have fun and still stay competitive.



We weren't going to a BCS bowl this season anyhow; we are going to lose some games. So let's just enjoy it for what it is and cut out so much of this annoying arm chair coaching/quarterbacking.



Some of you are starting to sound like utes.
W
wildeone
I love how all of you are conceding losses before we play the game, as far as I'm concerned, we are undefeated so we still have a chance at the bcs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
wildeone wrote:
I love how all of you are conceding losses before we play the game, as far as I'm concerned, we are undefeated so we still have a chance at the bcs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


then so does san diego state..... ;)



we're a solid but not great team with the youngest team in memory. is that not good enough for some of you? we're not going undefeated this year, just accept it.
C
Cougs_Rule
C'mon Craigo! quit ruling out a BCS bowl so early. If there could be only one, then we would be "The One." RIght? Sheesh!

On a separate note, I'm just glad we got one win in with QB2 (we have to call this 2 QB system something more efficently, so here's my suggestion), bc with the first loss, all the dark cloud-ers will turn fiercely and completely on the QB2 and say we have to scrap it bc the ship is going down in the storm. CC will be virtually uninhabitable bc of all the QB2 ship-jumpers spreading their doom and gloom and whine.

MArk my words. Not even your seasoned veteran judgement will talk some out of jumping.
W
wildeone
craigoscarson wrote:
I love how all of you are conceding losses before we play the game, as far as I'm concerned, we are undefeated so we still have a chance at the bcs



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


then so does san diego state..... ;)



we're a solid but not great team with the youngest team in memory. is that not good enough for some of you? we're not going undefeated this year, just accept it.

Callnme a blue-goggles homer, but until

We lose a game, I will always be an optimist, you are startin to sound like airwolf



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I knew it. I couldnt type my message above before we had the first shout out about BCS possibilities. Careful young padawan wildone, Sno and Craigo are not to be trifled with. You would be wise to internalize what they are saying.
W
wildeone
I don expect bcs this year, and wont be dissapointed if we don't, but to say we will lose games is just dumb, THAT'S WHY GAMES ARE PLAYED.

Until we lose a game, we are undefeated and I will be excited



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
urroner
wildeone wrote:
I don expect bcs this year, and wont be dissapointed if we don't, but to say we will lose games is just dumb, THAT'S WHY GAMES ARE PLAYED.

Until we lose a game, we are undefeated and I will be excited



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


My child, retain your enthusiasm and blue-colored glasses. We must play each game to know the outcome, but hijo mio, blue-colored glasses will not prevent you from looking like me one day, but they will help you endure such pains and agonies.



http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_stussy_t19_sunglasses.jpg.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
wildeone
urroner wrote:
I don expect bcs this year, and wont be dissapointed if we don't, but to say we will lose games is just dumb, THAT'S WHY GAMES ARE PLAYED.

Until we lose a game, we are undefeated and I will be excited



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


My child, retain your enthusiasm and blue-colored glasses. We must play each game to know the outcome, but hijo mio, blue-colored glasses will not prevent you from looking like me one day, but they will help you endure such pains and agonies.



http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_stussy_t19_sunglasses.jpg.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

That's exactly my point. Craigo is conceding losses before games are played and that irritates me. Will we go undefeated? Not likely but after game 1, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
wildeone wrote:
I don expect bcs this year, and wont be dissapointed if we don't, but to say we will lose games is just dumb, THAT'S WHY GAMES ARE PLAYED.

Until we lose a game, we are undefeated and I will be excited



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Go back a year ago to cougarblue after we beat Oklahoma and before we played Florida State. People were saying, "national championship" "BCS buster" one person that I won't name called it "the best defense in BYUs history."



At some point, fans have to learn to bottle up their enthusiasm and enjoy the team because they're our team, win or lose.



I'm not trying to be a "realist" or wackadoo like Airwolf, etc. (truly people like that have alterior motives) . I have one motive, to enjoy the football season win or lose and to preach what is obvious. Bronco has a game plan and Bronco has the talent. However, most of the talent are just babies at this point and talented babies make mistakes. They'll still grow up and eventually they'll dominate. In the meantime, we're going to be very good and very talented.



I've lived through the late 80s football season, the 90s and Detmer (I have a feeling you weren't alive for any of that wildone), and beyond; I've attended almost double digit bowl games and saw the Oklahoma game front row. The one common denominator to it all, is that if you can't enjoy the ride, you're missing the bus.



Ty Detmer lost more games than Bronco has the last 4 years... but it sure was a fun ride.



I believe that what we have right now is on the verge of greatness, but that takes time to mature and this is the season that we learn how. Call it rebuilding, reloading, whatever, but there is dominance on the horizon. Dominance that we haven't seen at BYU since the early 80s.



I sat as a kid on the knee as a young child of Vai Sikahema when he was a missionary. I've enjoyed the nearly all of the ride ever since. The best part is yet to come but expect ups and downs this year,



Would you rather be a Ute fan so you could boast a BCS bowl and fade off into mediocrity? How about the team right in my backyard, the Kansas Jayhawks (I could walk to their campus on a nice day) Would you rather be them and win the Orange bowl decisively and 2 years later lose to North Dakota State 6-3? (now that's rebuilding) http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39012548/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



In our one year where we have to play a ton of youth and inexperience, we just passed our first test. We wont' pass them all; but eventually all the hard work will pay off and we'll never have to slum with the Kansas and Utahs of the world to get there.



We have enormous potential and youth on this team, Jake Heaps talent is real, Riley Nelsons heart is enormous (his talent ain't bad either) and Bronco can coach. Let's just enjoy the ride and stop getting our expectations so high that we ultimately feel disapointed.
Advertisement
W
wildeone
I'm not getting my expectations high, I'm just getting excited when our team does well, is there any problem with that?

(and stating the obvious that IF (huge emphasis) BYU goes undefeated they will go to the BCS)

Every team wants to win all of their games, if they do, great, if not, try again next year.

I'm not one of those fans that will turn on bronco for one loss.



Geez I mention undefeated, and you read me the riot act.



I said before and I'll say it again, BYU is undefeated until someone proves them otherwise.

And to say that we won't win all of our games is ridiculous, its like the coach telling his team "sorry guys we won't win this week" or "we won't win all of our games"

Its the thrill of being a fan. And I will cheer on the cougs win or lose.
M
mizzoucoug
I predicted 11 wins and I like the way things are playing out so far. Although we haven't played any loseable games yet in my opinion. FSU will be tough but I have absolutely no trepidation toward AFA and nevada.
A
akammerman
Wildone,

Resist the urge to defend your position. You don't need permission from anyone else to think the way you do. Some approach it the way you and I do--always believing we'll will all the rest of our games. Others fancy themselves as being more "realistic". Neither position is better; they're just different. I work with some former players, and it was strange to me the first time I talked BYU football with one of them; he was negative about the upcoming season, and had a rather grim outlook. I mistakenly thought he would be gushing enthusiasm, but this wasn't the case. It was as though he were talking about just any old team, not the one that just put him through school, the team whose colors he had worn the previous four years. Oh well. Big deal.



As long as we are all in the stadium, or in front of the TV or radio on game day--cheering on the Cougars. We're on the same team. And the net that is BYU catches all types of fans.



As the youth would say: "It's all good." Nobody can rain on your parade unless you let them. Notice the cloud, smile, and let it pass on by.



To be sure, there are things about some BYU fans that tick me off. (Not wearing blue to games, cursing, yelling at the refs like a retard at the top of your lungs as you hold your newborn and your wife looks on sheepishly, thinking we "need" to schedule easier teams, etc. ) But what can I do about it? Nothing. Let's save our energy to rise and shout at the games.



Let's go crush Air Force. The patsy team the played last week did nothing to help them, I'm sure of it. They would have done better to practice. They played a lower division school who didn't win a single game last year. So this week is like their first game



BYU 42 AFA 17
C
craigoscarson
wildeone wrote:
I'm not getting my expectations high, I'm just getting excited when our team does well, is there any problem with that?

(and stating the obvious that IF (huge emphasis) BYU goes undefeated they will go to the BCS)

Every team wants to win all of their games, if they do, great, if not, try again next year.

I'm not one of those fans that will turn on bronco for one loss.



Geez I mention undefeated, and you read me the riot act.



I said before and I'll say it again, BYU is undefeated until someone proves them otherwise.

And to say that we won't win all of our games is ridiculous, its like the coach telling his team "sorry guys we won't win this week" or "we won't win all of our games"

Its the thrill of being a fan. And I will cheer on the cougs win or lose.


Today is one reason I hate to hear premature chants of undefeated.
I
idahocougarfan
So I didn't read all the posts on this thread, I thought I would just state my opinion and it could agree with other things said or maybe different.



I was thoroughly disappointed in the loss today. I agree with Scott Johnson, as he said that the team just didn't have the energy that was needed. It was apparent on the Hunter int, there was practically no enthusiasm.

Both QB's did not do well. Like as probably been said, we have a young team this year, they will hopefully learn from this game and move on and prepare for FSU.

I hope that all of us can support the coaching staff on their decisions with the team. I was really confused about why Heaps didn't play the second half as well. Wrubell made the point in the post game show that it might have been a chance for Nelson to see what he could do in that situation. Both Heaps and Nelson have pros and cons, we have all noticed. I think both of them are good players and can lead this team. But I know that Bronco, Brandon and Anae will make the right choice for the game.

Last week we were all happy that we beat UW with the two QB system. Now that we lost one game people are saying the coaches are bad, its their fault. There is a lot more aspects to this loss then just the QB or the coaches. Bronco hasn't led us to a losing season (correct me if I'm wrong) so I think we are pretty lucky to have him for the time being.

I for sure wasn't expecting a perfect season. Losses happen. Its always hard to see the Cougars lose. I hate it as much as anyone, but in the end its just a game.



Lets hope they come out better next week.



GO COUGS!!!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.