Archived Topic

Boise Haters Here Is Your Manifesto

by BerliNY · 9/6/2010

Advertisement
R
Raiderboy
The topic makes for an interesting article. But once again the real point he makes without even trying is that the BCS is a bad system, and we need a playoff.
C
CAFB_04-12
He doesn't make the point about the BCS because he doesn't believe the BCS is a bad system. After all, it has produced a fictional national champion for one of the the supposed big conferences ever since its inception.



I agree, though, about the SOS argument with BSU. But the same argument can be made against TCU, Utah, and even BYU. At least TCU, Utah, and BYU have to get past each other to stay undefeated. At least this year anyway.



If BSU got to BCS games and lost all the time I would buy the SOS argument. But they win, and that's what matters in the end.
T
tripwire
The strength of schedule argument that people use against BSU is the exact same one that people used against BYU in 1984. There are still many people in the college football world that refuse to acknowledge that BYU were national champions that year. The BCS exists in part as a result of 1984.

I wonder if BSU winning a championship this year would change things as well.
M
mizzoucoug
The best team is supposed to win the NC and that's all. I think there is a great chance that considering what they are returning and what other top contenders (UT-new QB, UF-new QB, OU-new QB, USC-sucks, Oregon-new QB) have lost since last year that Boise wins it all. I don't put much hope in another team besides Bama going undefeated this year, making it perhaps the best year since 2005 for Boise or TCU to dance in the big game.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
I'm a self-admitting BSU fan (sorry), albeit a mild one, but truth be told this article doesn't really convince me of anything.



I do think BSU's SOS is...lacking. To say the least. Yes, one game deciding your season is a terrible system.



What bothers me about the article is it doesn't consider BSU's actual output in recent big games. If a team repeatedly wins BCS bowl games, especially over a short period of time, I don't think it's unfair to give them a shot at the NC.



What frustrates me about the SOS snobs is that, at the current moment, it seems to disregard everybody except the SEC should play for the championship. I mean, come on: there are years where the Pac-10 hasn't thrown a decent challenger at USC, and there have been lopsided years for the Big 10/Big 12 as well. I'm not trying to suggest that the disparity for the teams who skated through their conference schedule in AQ conferences is in any way equivalent to what BSU gets away with, but PLENTY of good teams get away with schedules with only 3-5 bumps along the way. (BSU has 1 1/2 this year, which is pretty bad.)



If we apply this guy's logic across the board - no Big East team should have a shot at the title either, because nobody's going to convince me that the Big East schedule provides more than 2 or 3 real challenges a year. If Oklahoma runs the board this year, do they go to the NC, even though they play a grand total of TWO ranked opponents this year, only one in-conference? (Granted, those are pre-season rankings; I'm sure someone will step up in the Big 12).



I want BSU to do well this year (again, sorry), but you could probably get me to admit that BSU's SOS isn't good enough to get them there. You're never going to convince me, however, that a team needs to be tested week in and week out the way this guy argues, simply because it's not true for most teams.
I
Italics
I agree BSU's schedule is - and always has been - a complete joke.



I agree that BSU would most likely not go undefeated in a better conference - including the MWC and maybe even C-USA.



I agree that BSU needs to lose tonight so we don't have to hear about them all season.



But none of that changed that ANY team that is undefeated at the end of the season needs to be given a shot at being national champions. We need a playoff.
S
scott715
Their SOS is over 2 years. They beat oregon and TCU last year. Possbilbly 3 top 10 teams.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.