Archived Topic

FSU Game Plan: Situational QB's

by runbyu1 · 9/5/2010

Advertisement
R
runbyu1
I think the 2 QB's rotating series' worked well enough and is in place for a reason right now, and I'm ok with it, even voting for it next week against Air Force. However, I don't think we can do that against Florida State.

So many times in the stands, we were looking at each other saying "I wish the other QB was in". Often on 3rd and short, we felt more comfortable with Riley. On long yardage situations, we wanted Jake. I'm sure most Cougar fans felt this way. Right now, I feel Riley gives us a better chance to win, but there are SITUATIONS where we need Jake in there.

I feel it would be best to make FSU game plan for both by rotating them at Air Force. Then in the actual FSU game, we have them playing situationally, ala Leak and Tebow. I think it would give our offense much better rhythm, etc. Even if the reps are split 50/50---have them be situational instead of by series. Everyone knows you are passing on 3rd and long, so bring in the passer! Everyone knows 3rd and short is run/option/short pass play so use the guy that gives you the best chance there.

Bottom line is that we have 2 great Quarterbacks who have different strengths and they should be used TO THEIR STRENGTHS. Make FSU prepare for both, but then play them both in the same series. Have Jake run the option occasionally, have Riley throw like he did to JJ against Washington. I think when executed properly, this can work well and be just like Riley said "Nasty, Lethal."
W
wildeone
Let's not look past AFA and Nevada



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
No, let's look past Nevada, there's really nothing to look at there.
L
Lawboy
Week 2 will give us a better idea how things will shake out, but for now, stick with this. Situational is worse than rotate every series. I'd say give each 2 series in a row v. AFA, see if either gets a rhythm, then rotate series from then on, unless 1 guy separates. As long as we keep winning, I could care less who plays QB.
R
runbyu1
First off, Nevada is BEFORE Florida State so I don't think anyone is looking past them. 2nd, we are likely to continue similarly against AF as we did against Washington. 3rd, each QB clearly has unique strengths, it would be a shame not to find a way to use them to our advantage, and Bronco has already said that regardless of who starts, they will both play a decent bit all year. Use the guy who gives you the best chance in each unique situation. I do agree that week 2 will give us a much better idea and that I don't care who's playing if we're winning either.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Nevada is the week after FSU. We play at AFA next week, then at FSU, then home to Nevada.



Only change I'd like to see if maybe giving each guy 2 series off the bat. Go Jake for 2, then Riley for 2 v. AFA, then rotate, and if 1 guys separates, give him more series.
I
Italics
Nelson should be our redzone/3rd and short QB against FSU. Their secondary will be much more athletic than Washington's secondary was, and I just don't know if Nelson has the arm for them. Hopefully Heaps is a bit more settled by the third game.



PS - I also think that if we get a significant lead on AFA, we should let Heaps have all the reps for the rest of the game in order to break him in a bit more for the FSU game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.