Archived Topic

The REAL game mvp is...

by Y 4 Ever · 9/5/2010

Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Riley Stephenson. Seriously. Make no mistake, offense didn't win this game. Defense didn't win it by themselves. Field position won this football game. And the #1 factor in the field position was Riley Stephenson. Whether it was pinning the Huskies deep with coffin corner punts, or it was kickoffs that were positioned so they were difficult to return, and/or kicking them into and out of the endzone.



So there you have it - Riley Stephenson is the real player of the game tonight!



Great game Cougs!
B
BigCougsFan
Hopefully it continues. There were a couple kicks/punts that scared me, but somehow turned out in our favor. We just need to work on our F.G.'s really, really bad!
T
ThrowbackBlue
I'll give credit to all special teams units. You can really tell the difference with Bronco taking over duties on special teams. Not only were they more effective in their coverage and field position, but Matt Marshall (mainly a special teamer and 2nd string Slot reciever) was named as a TEAM captain along with Reynolds and Rich. Special teams now has leadership, ownership, and accountability-- I for one like the changes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I can buy that. In fact I'll take to helpings of that. THis is the first time tonight i had heard (on KSL postgame) that Bronco was in charge of S-Teams. Wow. That explains alot!

MVP to special teams or the D--big props on that last stand. And in the end, another batted down game saver! Gotta love it!
M
Mars


IMO, JJ DiLuigi was the only truly great player on the field today, either team, and even he wasn't close to perfect. The other guys all have work to do at this point, but that's to be expected after game #1.
Advertisement
B
blue42
Mine would be a toss up between 3 people, JJ because that guy was running all over the place and was the spark for the offense. Second, Nelson because he had to overcome a ton of people saying he isn't good enough to be a starting QB in college let alone BYU but ended up moving the team very well and third, Polk for Udub. Stephenson was great on his punting and pinned Washington deep, but there wasn't anything spetacular with his kick offs, Polk basically screwed the pooch every time he tried to catch the football, look at the stats he averaged 2 yards per return! Any of the blue hairs in the west seats could have done better than that.
K
KYCoug
I give it to the O-line. The D rarely got close to our QB's and they were blowing huge holes for JJ to run through. Without that JJ would only have had a few yards.
B
Brayden Green
I give it to the O-line and Brian Kariya picking up the blitz. They blitzed ALL night. I bet they blitzed on 75% of the plays. That is a lot when you are already rushing 4. They knew they had to get pressure, and probably also wanted to break Heaps in two with some extra motivation, so they brought it, and we sent it back. Nelson, Heaps, DiLuigi, none of them have any kind of impact in the game getting hit in the backfield once a down.
S
scott715
How about Fuga? He was the stopper at NT.
M
MTM
I didn't see the whole game but my observation based on what I did see is-



-the offense was much more dynamic with Nelson as QB.

-the O line is very good particulary in run blocking

-the defense played with a lot of energy

-special teams were good. BYU's punter made some key kicks and Chambers seemed more comfortable on punt returns than I remember him

-Jake Locker isn't nearly as good as he was billed
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
MTM wrote:

-special teams were good. BYU's punter made some key kicks and Chambers seemed more comfortable on punt returns than I remember him

interesting comment after uu@BYU last year. Chambers looked very comfy that night.
U
urroner
declocoug wrote:

-special teams were good. BYU's punter made some key kicks and Chambers seemed more comfortable on punt returns than I remember him

interesting comment after uu@BYU last year. Chambers looked very comfy that night.


I remember that game, :utard: kept "running" into him and interfering when he called a fair catch. 15 yards every time. :lol: :lol:
M
MTM
urroner wrote:
MTM wrote:

-special teams were good. BYU's punter made some key kicks and Chambers seemed more comfortable on punt returns than I remember him

interesting comment after uu@BYU last year. Chambers looked very comfy that night.


I remember that game, :utard: kept "running" into him and interfering when he called a fair catch. 15 yards every time. :lol: :lol:


Chambers would've made Vlade Divac proud. :roll:
B
BroncoBot
One of the Defensive MVP's would have been Brian Logan. Multiple pass break-ups and big hits. May have had the game winning pass break-up in the endzone on Washington's first 4th down conversion attempt.
I
Italics
33311710 wrote:
Riley Stephenson. Seriously. Make no mistake, offense didn't win this game. Defense didn't win it by themselves. Field position won this football game. And the #1 factor in the field position was Riley Stephenson. Whether it was pinning the Huskies deep with coffin corner punts, or it was kickoffs that were positioned so they were difficult to return, and/or kicking them into and out of the endzone.



So there you have it - Riley Stephenson is the real player of the game tonight!



Great game Cougs!


Great points.



I was actually going to - as a somewhat serious joke - come onto this thread and post "Riley Stephenson," but to my surprise it's what you posted! :bug:
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
Mendenhall takes over the special teams. BYU becomes Beamer-Ball west?
B
bplewe
Mars wrote:


IMO, JJ DiLuigi was the only truly great player on the field today, either team, and even he wasn't close to perfect. The other guys all have work to do at this point, but that's to be expected after game #1.


So, is "Dyn-o-Mite!" going to stick to JJ??
M
Mars
KYCoug wrote:
I give it to the O-line. The D rarely got close to our QB's and they were blowing huge holes for JJ to run through. Without that JJ would only have had a few yards.

I was disappointed in the O-Line's run blocking up the middle. Their DT blew us up every time we tried. Of course, running JJ up the middle was a stupid idea in the first place, but Kariya did nothing all game long because Washington was winning the battle at the middle of the line.
S
scott715
Yes, that was ugly.
S
Schmoe
Yeah, so it's the O-line's fault, not Kariya's, that runs up the middle didn't work. (Actually, the box was usually pretty stacked, I think Sark was trying to get our 'inexperienced' qbs to throw the ball).
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.