Archived Topic

Coach Rose

by stuckinbig10country · 9/3/2010

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
While the recent change is probably great for football, I am not so sure about the other sports, especially men's basketball. The main reason is that I'm concerned about coach Rose leaving.



A big name school will come calling, and it might be easier to walk away from a team in a conference that has 3k to 4k seating capacity in their gyms.



I don't ready worry about Mendenhall leaving, but I've thought that Rose leaving has always been a possibility. I don't know if those chances are now increased.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
hmmmm...I can certainly understand the concern, but IMO I don't think Rose is as prone to wanting to move up the ladder so to speak. I think he'd rather establish BYU as top team and see us deep into the NCAA tourney a few times. He wasn't interested in coaching his alma mater, so I don't really see what other school he'd be tempted by. He doesn't strike me as the type that wants to keep making more and more millions of dollars either.



Basketball is great because a great team doesn't necessarily have to be in a great conference (Gonzaga is a perfect example) to be successful. If you're a good team you can get to the tournament and have a good run. Yes, there's a bit of bias, etc., but not nearly like what it is in football. So the requirement for a coach to be with a certain team to play on the big stage isn't as necessary.



Every year Rose has a legit shot at playing for a national championship. Bronco, on the other hand, has to not only worry about developing a competitive team but also the politics of the gestapo BCS.
C
CougarClaw
i'm worried about this too.



If there is one consolation Rose has, he only needs look at Kansas and Kansas St.



These were two of the best basketball programs in the country and they were nearly left homeless because of football. Rose said as much during BYU's press conference. I think he understands his place in the world, and even if he left, it would be the same everywhere. Unfortunately.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.