Archived Topic

I hate to admit it, but...

by Lawboy · 9/3/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Utah fans were awesome last night. That sea of red was impressive to see in that whole stadium. I just wish the BYU student body would get their chit together like the MUSS, which is a solid student section, especially with such recent success. Bronco needs to do with them what Urban did to build it up. BYU fans need to wear navy blue, come ready and be loud. Instead, many wear whatever, would rather sing Popcorn Popping and throw tortillas. BYU fans need to start acting the part.



I am pumped for game day. I hope all 64,000 show up at LES ready as well, and wear blue.
K
kiwibacon
Things could have changed since I was there but the problem with the student section at BYU is...is there really an area for the entire student body? I remember when I would get all sports passes that one game you would be in one area and the next game you would be in a completely different part of the stadium. I don't blame it on the student body...I blame it on the ticket office/marketing department. Those groups are the one that need to get there stuff together.
1
1967cougar
. . .and to think, not a single one of 'em were sober.



I watched the dynamic massive MUSS in the last basketball game we played at the Huntsman Center. A fickle bunch of mindless sots if ever there were one.



Lose a game or two, and the MUSS mysteriously disappears.



It bugs me, too, to see how multi-colored our stands are. But at least, win or lose, we are there 64,000 strong.
I
IowaCougar
Here's an idea that shows my age -- Bring back the Card Stunt Section!
L
Lawboy
They have certain sections in the stadium every year. NE end zone corner, SE end zone corner, North end of East and West end of east and the low sections of East. Basically, if they all wore blue, it would be impressive. WAY more BYU students at a game than U students, but many BYU students come an the football is secondary. That needs to change.
Advertisement
P
ProV1
The whole atmosphere is low budget. The thumbs-together U symbol is gay.
L
Lawboy
ProV1 wrote:
The whole atmosphere is low budget. The thumbs-together U symbol is gay.


The thumbs together U thing is the best thing about it. Utes finally figure out they are double losers and proud to admit it. Because simply being a loser isn't good enough.



They still gets props for all the red in stadium. BYU has catching up to do.
D
Dcr36
Yeah, I was split on that. I liked how effective the Utah crowd was, in terms of the pure volume and color coordination. Contrary to what a lot of people have said here, I was surprised/am surprised with how clean-cut the MUSS looked, generally speaking. I'd never mistake it for a Provo crowd, but it did seem miles removed from the Auzten Zoo. Still, stuff like the false-start counter is stuff I'd never want to see integrated into BYU. Yeah, it's mostly innocuous, but it wouldn't seem consistent with what BYU's supposed to be about.



Last season's home basketball games reaffirmed to me that BYU kids CAN make a lot of noise when they want to. I hope this season's football game atmospheres can extend that.
C
CougarClaw
It doesn't help that red is a brighter, more visible color than dark navy blue. One person wearing red stands out more than about 5 wearing dark blue.



AND some believe that any color blue will do, which just isn't true.



As for the Pitt game, Pitt had several false starts penalties, especially near the end zone, since they had a new line but the announcers speculated that they also couldn't hear a thing. Credit Smush for being loud.
B
BoiseBYU
Utah had a game last night?
Advertisement
C
ctcoug
I think the U is having second thoughts about being a member of the pack 12. Their MUSS shirts all say "Envy the past, Fear the future." I don't know why they are so scared?
B
BoiseBYU
ctcoug wrote:
I think the U is having second thoughts about being a member of the pack 12. Their MUSS shirts all say "Envy the past, Fear the future." I don't know why they are so scared?


That's what the shirts said? LOL That describes perfectly their view of BYU. Freudian slip?
L
Lawboy
ctcoug wrote:
I think the U is having second thoughts about being a member of the pack 12. Their MUSS shirts all say "Envy the past, Fear the future." I don't know why they are so scared?


Yeah, but in order to be in the section, they have to wear the MUSS t-shirt, a red uniform or red t-shirt, or you can't sit in the section. It is mandatory. Which means they all wear red. The T shirt probably is stupid, but it is also school colors.



BYU bookstore needs to sell the $5 T at every entrance tomorrow. Would sell a ton.
H
hypercoug
kiwibacon wrote:
Things could have changed since I was there but the problem with the student section at BYU is...is there really an area for the entire student body? I remember when I would get all sports passes that one game you would be in one area and the next game you would be in a completely different part of the stadium. I don't blame it on the student body...I blame it on the ticket office/marketing department. Those groups are the one that need to get there stuff together.


This is the problem, the student section is broken apart into pieces, and as a student you rarely get a ticket anywhere near the field. The students are treated more as outcasts, since they're not paying big bucks for tickets.



Say what you want about :utard: , but the MUSS rocked it up last night in a way that just couldn't happen in Provo considering the current setup of things.
G
Gunk
Used to be you had a set seat for the whole season with your Sports Pass. Indirectly,the system worked where the more avid fans would wait in line days in advance to get the better seats; consequently, the most avid fans were then closer to the field and given the good seats were much more inclined to show up to all the games.



After spending 2 - 3 games next to the same people you developed a bit of a friendship and could start coordinating things, such as all wearing the same color, signs, etc. Under the current system your next to someone new every game.



If I were in charge, I'd have a designated section for VIP All Sports Pass owners. BYU could charge an extra 20 bucks for them and these would be set seats for the entire season. Marketers could then market specifically to this group.



All in all, though, the marketing department needs to do a better job getting the students all on the same page.



$5 t-shirts for sale everywhere would help a lot. Just make sure they have women sizes and a few different styles as well. Women tend to be much more inclined to buy clothes and a woman won't buy and wear a shirt if it's ugly no matter how loyal she is a team.
Advertisement
G
Guest
hypercoug wrote:
Things could have changed since I was there but the problem with the student section at BYU is...is there really an area for the entire student body? I remember when I would get all sports passes that one game you would be in one area and the next game you would be in a completely different part of the stadium. I don't blame it on the student body...I blame it on the ticket office/marketing department. Those groups are the one that need to get there stuff together.


This is the problem, the student section is broken apart into pieces, and as a student you rarely get a ticket anywhere near the field. The students are treated more as outcasts, since they're not paying big bucks for tickets.



Say what you want about :utard: , but the MUSS rocked it up last night in a way that just couldn't happen in Provo considering the current setup of things.


I've had student tickets for the last 4 years and have not sat more than 5 rows from the field. I was also completely surrounded by other students every year.



The place where BYU needs to step up is to get over this idea that they need to be "fair" to every student and mix non fans with real fans when giving out the student tickets. Those who are real fans should be able to pay more to get the priority seating and certain sections like the CougarUnited section should have a mandatory blue check-in before you're allowed to sit there.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
Used to be you had a set seat for the whole season with your Sports Pass. Indirectly,the system worked where the more avid fans would wait in line days in advance to get the better seats; consequently, the most avid fans were then closer to the field and given the good seats were much more inclined to show up to all the games.



After spending 2 - 3 games next to the same people you developed a bit of a friendship and could start coordinating things, such as all wearing the same color, signs, etc. Under the current system your next to someone new every game.



If I were in charge, I'd have a designated section for VIP All Sports Pass owners. BYU could charge an extra 20 bucks for them and these would be set seats for the entire season. Marketers could then market specifically to this group.



All in all, though, the marketing department needs to do a better job getting the students all on the same page.



$5 t-shirts for sale everywhere would help a lot. Just make sure they have women sizes and a few different styles as well. Women tend to be much more inclined to buy clothes.


You're talking about the Cougar United section, which BYU has been doing for the last several years. They bow too much to pressure and whiny non-fans though, which is their biggest problem.



This year the Cougar United program was basically killed in all but name, but you could still pay more to get non-rotated seats along the lower deck in the east stands or pay less and get the rotated seats in the endzones and upper concourse of the east stands.
K
kfilly20
The real problem with the BYU student section is that a LOT of them obviously know nothing about football, and have never played a sport in their life. Anyone that has sat near or in them knows this. A direct quote from last year " He just leaped over his fallen opponent, that was so aggressive! They are so intimidating!" This was a male student mind you. The Poo has trashier students but I think that is to their advantage when it comes to cheering during football games.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:

You're talking about the Cougar United section, which BYU has been doing for the last several years. They bow too much to pressure and whiny non-fans though, which is their biggest problem.



This year the Cougar United program was basically killed in all but name, but you could still pay more to get non-rotated seats along the lower deck in the east stands or pay less and get the rotated seats in the endzones and upper concourse of the east stands.


Been awhile since I bought an All Sports Pass. I'd certainly pay the extra to be a Cougar United.



Seem to recall whiny non-fans have always been an issue. That and students buy extra passes for friends that didn't necessarily go to BYU or care all that much. Hopefully they've fixed that issue. Don't they just let a student buy one pass now and they have to have their student ID on them?
G
Gunk
kfilly20 wrote:
The real problem with the BYU student section is that a LOT of them obviously know nothing about football, and have never played a sport in their life. Anyone that has sat near or in them knows this. A direct quote from last year " He just leaped over his fallen opponent, that was so aggressive! They are so intimidating!" This was a male student mind you. The Poo has trashier students but I think that is to their advantage when it comes to cheering during football games.


At least our cheerleaders understand the game:



http://www.krekquel.com/funnypics/BlondeCheerleader.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.