Archived Topic

Did BYU swap places with Boise St.?

by ThrowbackBlue · 9/2/2010

Advertisement
T
ThrowbackBlue
Boise has been the media darlings for the last few years largely in part to ESPN exposure. They play a similar brand of football to BYU that people enjoy watching and they win a lot of games. With Boise moving to the MWC and us to ESPN.... Did we just become the new media darlings? Will the love affair with boise subside?

Of course we also have a better schedule than BSU and don't play on a hideous blue turf (SO HAPPPY I don't have to see that field on national tv anymore).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
I think that Boise's fame came from actually winning when lots of people were watching, and doing it consistently (OU, TCU). Plowing through the weak sauce competition was nice too.



I think Boise will have a harder time with the competition in the MWC each year (especially AFA and TCU). Nobody cares about a 10-2 football team. It's BCS showings that matter, which is why everyone talks about BSU, Utah, and TCU at the national level (until this week and BYU's ESPN deal...but that talk will subside).
8
88Coug
I do think Boise took BYU's place for the mtn. Comcast is going to charge monopoly rates for the mtn. in Idaho and put most of Boise's games on it.
I
Isola
There is a chance that BYU becomes ESPN's shiny new toy, like Boise State was, but the BYU deal is tons difference than Boise State's.



Boise State got less than $500K per year. BYU will get a lot more than that.

Boise State had to play on off nights when televised. BYU will get Thursday and Saturday, except GC.

Boise State plays in a rinky dink 33K stadium with smurf turf. BYU plans in one of the most picturesque stadiums with 64K.

Boise State played a cupcake schedule against teams nobody wanted to watch. BYU should play a respectable line up with match ups made for TV.
L
Lawboy
BYU is playing 6 WAC teams next year, 5 the next, then more after that. I expect ous schedule to be BSU style for 6-7 games, but will have 4-6 tough games a year, and not just 1 like BSU had in 2009. At least they have 2 this year, right?
Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
Boise State was ESPN's little biatch. ESPN played them on Wednesdays and Sundays all the time. Boise had games that ended at 1 am eastern time. ESPN said jump and Boise said how high.



BYU and ESPN is more of a partnership. Thursday and Saturday games, besides the General Conference Friday game. Playing for a ton more money. It's an 8 year deal. BYU gets immediate and unlimited rebroadcast rights to every game. ESPN gets to use BYU's HD truck. ESPN is stoked about it, BYU is stoked about it, It's a partnership all the way.
B
billbillbillbill
I was watching the BYU vs OU game yesterday before the press conference and was again amazed at the cool camera angles they used. I know that was in an NFL stadium but does ESPN rig the college stadiums with that cool camera that goes over the field?
I
Isola
billbillbillbill wrote:
I was watching the BYU vs OU game yesterday before the press conference and was again amazed at the cool camera angles they used. I know that was in an NFL stadium but does ESPN rig the college stadiums with that cool camera that goes over the field?

ESPN hooks up that camera for the Las Vegas Bowl (had to take it down last year due to the wind). I would bet they get one rigged up for LES.
S
snoscythe
Isola wrote:
I was watching the BYU vs OU game yesterday before the press conference and was again amazed at the cool camera angles they used. I know that was in an NFL stadium but does ESPN rig the college stadiums with that cool camera that goes over the field?

ESPN hooks up that camera for the Las Vegas Bowl (had to take it down last year due to the wind). I would bet they get one rigged up for LES.


They've done it in the past at LES, even before the CSTV blunder.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.