Archived Topic

Craigo doesn't have to quit donating

by Mars · 9/2/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/60/10009912/Harmons-halftime-ESPN-happy-to-let-BYU-TV-do-whatever-it-wants-with-rebroadcasts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"MWC commissioner Craig Thompson made an appearance on a Dallas radio station Tuesday and was asked by the host what concessions BYU asked of the MWC broadcast partners and the contract. Thompson said BYU requested the rights to rebroadcast BYU sporting events. The request was denied.



On BYU-TV's True Blue show, hosted by Dave McCann on Tuesday, ESPN vice president of broadcasting told McCann that in BYU's upcoming partnership BYU-TV could rebroadcast every ESPN game involving BYU basketball and football "as many times as your want." In fact, said Brown, "You can have access to any BYU game in the inventory" and use those as many times as the station wants. "We don't want to hold anyone back," said Brown."
S
Schmoe
Wow, they wouldn't even give us REbroadcast rights? I am happier and happier about our new found freedom every day.
C
CAFB_04-12
The interview with ESPN and WCC on True Blue was very good.
Y
Y12
So this was all about REbroadcating rights? How would this be a disadvantage to Comcast in any way?



Making mountains out of molehills. They take the name Mountain West Conference too literally.
J
jonnylingo
Mars wrote:


http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/60/10009912/Harmons-halftime-ESPN-happy-to-let-BYU-TV-do-whatever-it-wants-with-rebroadcasts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"MWC commissioner Craig Thompson made an appearance on a Dallas radio station Tuesday and was asked by the host what concessions BYU asked of the MWC broadcast partners and the contract. Thompson said BYU requested the rights to rebroadcast BYU sporting events. The request was denied.



On BYU-TV's True Blue show, hosted by Dave McCann on Tuesday, ESPN vice president of broadcasting told McCann that in BYU's upcoming partnership BYU-TV could rebroadcast every ESPN game involving BYU basketball and football "as many times as your want." In fact, said Brown, "You can have access to any BYU game in the inventory" and use those as many times as the station wants. "We don't want to hold anyone back," said Brown."


Holy crap. They wouldn't even give that. Wow. See ya losers.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
The interview with ESPN and WCC on True Blue was very good.


I didn't like it. It was awkward and too "so tell me espn and wcc, why is byu so awesome?".



I like the one with holmoe though.
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:


http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/60/10009912/Harmons-halftime-ESPN-happy-to-let-BYU-TV-do-whatever-it-wants-with-rebroadcasts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"MWC commissioner Craig Thompson made an appearance on a Dallas radio station Tuesday and was asked by the host what concessions BYU asked of the MWC broadcast partners and the contract. Thompson said BYU requested the rights to rebroadcast BYU sporting events. The request was denied.



On BYU-TV's True Blue show, hosted by Dave McCann on Tuesday, ESPN vice president of broadcasting told McCann that in BYU's upcoming partnership BYU-TV could rebroadcast every ESPN game involving BYU basketball and football "as many times as your want." In fact, said Brown, "You can have access to any BYU game in the inventory" and use those as many times as the station wants. "We don't want to hold anyone back," said Brown."


Tom Holmoe can harvest my organs now for all I care. It's a beautiful day.



I knew when it went down that there was no way that the MWC made any concessions. If so, the MWC would have had a nearly concurrent press conference. This was a no-brainer.



Like I said earlier, "dont' sh*t where you eat" and the Hair just doesn't get it.



I've been celebrating non-stop since yesterday.
L
Lawboy
As I said before, Comcast is the real villain here for the MWC. What BYU Asked for was not outrageous at all, and I am 100% certain that all University Presidents in the MWC would have happily given BYU what it wanted to keep them in the fold. But Comcast would not, and in the process, Comcast hurt the MWC and its own network. I truly believe Comcast is going to redo the deal, or scuttle it completely now. Comcast may have been looking to get out completely, and shuttling BYU off might have given Comcast that leverage. But it just goes to show how bad the Comcast deal was. The irony is that it was not the MWC that decided this, it was Comcast, and the MWC BoT have no real power as they gave it away. BYU was right to bail on that.
D
Dcr36
Lawboy wrote:
As I said before, Comcast is the real villain here for the MWC. What BYU Asked for was not outrageous at all, and I am 100% certain that all University Presidents in the MWC would have happily given BYU what it wanted to keep them in the fold. But Comcast would not, and in the process, Comcast hurt the MWC and its own network. I truly believe Comcast is going to redo the deal, or scuttle it completely now. Comcast may have been looking to get out completely, and shuttling BYU off might have given Comcast that leverage. But it just goes to show how bad the Comcast deal was. The irony is that it was not the MWC that decided this, it was Comcast, and the MWC BoT have no real power as they gave it away. BYU was right to bail on that.


If you're right on this, I might feel something bordering on sympathy for the MWC officials. I can't imagine rebroadcast rights would have cost ANYBODY that much (at least they shouldn't), yet the MWC was apparently willing to spend $10M of its money to bring in FSU and UN-R to keep BYU from leaving.



But echoing everyone else, wow. Doesn't seem like it should be a huge concession.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
As I said before, Comcast is the real villain here for the MWC. What BYU Asked for was not outrageous at all, and I am 100% certain that all University Presidents in the MWC would have happily given BYU what it wanted to keep them in the fold.

The MWC is just as to blame as Comcast. BYU wanted them to host all our Olympic sports too. The School Presidents told us to go screw ourselves.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.