Archived Topic

Recruiting just got a major boost

by CougarPeasant · 9/1/2010

Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
So it's not the Big 12 or pac10, it's better! All home games get ESPN treatment. I saw taekwondave said it already, but I think this deserves its own thread.



Yes, Mom and Pop Recruit, you can watch your son play on ESPN and against Texas, Notre Dame, Oregon St...etc. You don't have to get a special package to get the mtn.



And what recruit wouldn't want to play against a schedule that BYU is likely to have? One that I believe will be even better than had they stayed in the MWC.



BYU will win games and will earn their place as an ESPN mainstay IMO.
G
Guest
CougarPeasant wrote:
So it's not the Big 12 or pac10, it's better! All home games get ESPN treatment. I saw taekwondave said it already, but I think this deserves its own thread.



Yes, Mom and Pop Recruit, you can watch your son play on ESPN and against Texas, Notre Dame, Oregon St...etc. You don't have to get a special package to get the mtn.



And what recruit wouldn't want to play against a schedule that BYU is likely to have? One that I believe will be even better than had they stayed in the MWC.



BYU will win games and will earn their place as an ESPN mainstay IMO.
C
Cougs_Rule
+1. People who think ISU or SJSU are substantively different from New Mex, UNLV, etc, are confused. The difference isnt that great. And in the Big 12---WE is the little fish!

AND if we win, we get more espn. If we go 6-6 or 7-5, byebye big espn, hello regional coverage.
L
Lawboy
I disagree with this. BYU will never recruit the same as other schools, and we go after different kids due to the HC. What BYU in the Big XII does is it improves our chances of locking down the top LDS talent, and non-LDS kids not afraid of the HC (see 2010, 2011 classes), rather than them going to Utah or other PAC schools, which is now occurring. BYU in a BCS league improves chances to lock down the Teo's, Jamori's, Schwenke's, Sua-Filo's, Ngata's, Badger's, etc. We will not get all of them and never will, but we can get more which improves our depth and quality of the 2-deep roster. That means more wins. The Big XII, after Texas and OU is not scary. We can compete.
C
CAFB_04-12
Lawboy wrote:
The Big XII, after Texas and OU is not scary. We can compete.

I'd add Oklahoma St to that list. I'd say BYU would be a consistent mid to bottom third in the Big XII after accounting for TCU. Better than K-State, KU, Baylor (except this year), and Iowa St most years. Competitive with TCU, Missouri, A&M (won't need to worry 'bout those two though), and sometimes Oklahoma St. Consistently beaten by OU and Texas with an occasional solid win in Provo. That's how I see it. Solid middle third. Sometime bottom third in down years (like now).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.