Archived Topic

UW Game Preview - Help

by akammerman · 9/1/2010

Advertisement
A
akammerman
I am glad we are Independent. And I chuckle that we get a billion times more press and talk than the FrUtes can even dream of. . .

Now let's talk about Saturday. Can somebody post a detailed preview of what/who we need to watch out for from UW on Saturday; and also what/who we need to look for from the Cougars?



I'm trying to become a more educated fan, as opposed to simply hoping that our QB makes a good pass, our RBs run fast and far, and our defense hits hard. I want to be able to understand and comprehend what is happening at other positions, notice schemes and strategies, etc. Never having played football, I have yet to grasp the nuances that I imagine come easier to a former player.



Any help as we approach Saturday's game is appreciated.
R
redneckjedi
On defense, we have a lot to watch out for. The front 7 (linebackers and defensive line) are all relatively inexperienced compared to last year's group. The secondary, on the other hand, is a strength. The big test is going to be whether we can stop Chris Polk and Jake Locker (UW's RB and QB) on the ground. If so, it will force them to pass more. Locker is no slouch of a QB, but his accuracy hasn't been over 60% in any given season. That, plus our secondary, is an advantage for us that we can exploit if we bottle up the run.



On offense, it's anybody's guess. Nobody really knows exactly how they'll do the 2 QB situation. My take on it is that we'll see more 3 WR sets than 2 WR + TE than last year. I would look for us to try to open up the passing game using any one of three RBs (Kariya, JJ, Quezada) as well as Nelson, and throwing passes like curls, comebacks, slants, etc. - wherever the defense is giving us space. Of course, if we have a 3 WR set with Jacobsen in the slot and he's matched up with a linebacker, it would be a crime not to go deep on them - especially if Heaps is under center. Even if they contain the rush, expect us to run it at least 25 times to keep them honest. If our offensive line is as good as we hope it is, we should get plenty of yards on the ground and plenty of time to throw. It will be interesting to see how often we do go deep this season, with bigger and faster receivers than we've had in the past, and a QB that can throw a beautiful deep ball in Heaps.
S
snoscythe
If you are looking to get a bit more knowledgeable, PM me with your email address and I can send you Bob Davies "Football 101" article series. ESPN has since put them in the $ archives, but I saved the webpages to my hard drive years ago. I'm happy to share. Davies is a very smart guy and he's made some complicated principles understandable for lay fans.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
If you are looking to get a bit more knowledgeable, PM me with your email address and I can send you Bob Davies "Football 101" article series. ESPN has since put them in the $ archives, but I saved the webpages to my hard drive years ago. I'm happy to share. Davies is a very smart guy and he's made some complicated principles understandable for lay fans.


That's a cool gesture sno.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
If you are looking to get a bit more knowledgeable, PM me with your email address and I can send you Bob Davies "Football 101" article series. ESPN has since put them in the $ archives, but I saved the webpages to my hard drive years ago. I'm happy to share. Davies is a very smart guy and he's made some complicated principles understandable for lay fans.


That's a cool gesture sno.


It's open to anyone interested. I'll send out the emails tonight when I get home to my laptop.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.