Archived Topic

Another great aspect of all of this

by taekwondave · 9/1/2010

Advertisement
T
taekwondave
You go back to when Urban Meyer left Utah and put Utah in the Pac12 with the money they can (in the next four years) earn from that and the competition they'll get and they MIGHT have been able to come up with a paycheck and an offer that could have kept him. Doubtful. Florida is a very storied program and is a great place to live that never snows but maybe they would have had a chance. Since they were in the Mountain West and making ZERO money, Utah HAD to look like a stepping stone job (Much like UVU looks like a stepping stone school) to bigger, better things.



I've had the same concern about BYU and Bronco. I mean, if I'm him, no matter how much I love the culture or whatever at BYU, if some BCS powerhouse comes knockin offering me four times the money...I'm gone. Now that we're independent, I just see a much bigger chance that we keep Bronco for a lot longer than maybe he even originally planned. I mean, it's a sweet gig. And with independence there isn't a lot to complain about because there can be much better competition, more fun traveling, more respect, more glory, more exposure, better bowl games...and probably a lot bigger contract if they felt he might be getting a little weary. I mean now, as a coach, you finally get to feel like you control your own destiny. How awesome is that? Bronco gets to know that when BYU schedules a good enough schedule, if he can win those games, he'll go to the National Championship Game. He didn't really get to say that to his kids before. He didn't really get to sell that to recruits, but now he can. Now he knows that if they have a GREAT year, it won't go to waste. Now there's a definite incentive to go undefeated. Now there's a payoff. They'll get respect. This is a HUGE day for BYU. Even moreso, I think, than Utah to the Pac. Because we get everything right out of the gate and awesome national exposure as opposed to Utah's regional exposure in the Pac. There are just so many positives right now I can't hardly see straight.
I
Italics
you can always count on taekwondave for a freaking long post =) Actually, this one is pretty short for him.
W
Wickchad
Another great aspect of all of this:



We are free to route for Virginia Tech to demolish Boise State on Monday.

We are free to route for Utah to go 0-12.

We are free to cancel our TV packages that made us pay more money to get VS, Mtn, and CSTV.



WE ARE FREE!
B
BTIB
taekwondave wrote:
This is a HUGE day for BYU. Even moreso, I think, than Utah to the Pac.


Proof of jealously? Utah to the PAC was a big deal. It took 10 extremely stubborn schools to agree on additions to a conference that hasn't changed in a very long time. BYU made this deal themselves... possibly in small part because they knew a AQ-invite would never come.



Don't get me wrong, I think BYU's move to independence is extremely progressive, but don't use it to downplay Utah's achievement. They earned it.
C
craigoscarson
BTIB wrote:
This is a HUGE day for BYU. Even moreso, I think, than Utah to the Pac.


Proof of jealously? Utah to the PAC was a big deal. It took 10 extremely stubborn schools to agree on additions to a conference that hasn't changed in a very long time. BYU made this deal themselves... possibly in small part because they knew a AQ-invite would never come.



Don't get me wrong, I think BYU's move to independence is extremely progressive, but don't use it to downplay Utah's achievement. They earned it.


Utah backed into it after Larry Scott fell flat on his face trying to lure the Big 12 schools. The pac 10 will treat utah like a red headed step child (they already are with their $$ treatment).
Advertisement
B
BTIB
craigoscarson wrote:
taekwondave wrote:
This is a HUGE day for BYU. Even moreso, I think, than Utah to the Pac.


Proof of jealously? Utah to the PAC was a big deal. It took 10 extremely stubborn schools to agree on additions to a conference that hasn't changed in a very long time. BYU made this deal themselves... possibly in small part because they knew a AQ-invite would never come.



Don't get me wrong, I think BYU's move to independence is extremely progressive, but don't use it to downplay Utah's achievement. They earned it.


Utah backed into it after Larry Scott fell flat on his face trying to lure the Big 12 schools. The pac 10 will treat utah like a red headed step child (they already are with their $$ treatment).


So BYU wasn't worth enough to even be treated like a red-headed step-child? Why did they choose Utah over BYU. My guess is reasons other than religion. Would BYU go independent if Utah had not been invited?
L
Lawboy
BYU would not go indy without Utah leaving. There was a mutual agreement to not.



And to say that BYU being a religious school, and an LDS school in particular is not he main reason they did not get a PAC-0 invite is naive and disingenuous. It is THE reason, with Sunday play being a distant 2nd. BYU brings more $$$, a better overall Athletic department, more fans, more everything. Including religion and politics, which was the reason they said no. So your "guess" is asinine, and your opinion lacking.
S
scott715
Plus Bronco will travel to new major schools for road games. New exciting places to have his pregame firesides. Too bad the basketball team does not do it too.
S
Schmoe
BTIB wrote:
BTIB wrote:
This is a HUGE day for BYU. Even moreso, I think, than Utah to the Pac.


Proof of jealously? Utah to the PAC was a big deal. It took 10 extremely stubborn schools to agree on additions to a conference that hasn't changed in a very long time. BYU made this deal themselves... possibly in small part because they knew a AQ-invite would never come.



Don't get me wrong, I think BYU's move to independence is extremely progressive, but don't use it to downplay Utah's achievement. They earned it.


Utah backed into it after Larry Scott fell flat on his face trying to lure the Big 12 schools. The pac 10 will treat utah like a red headed step child (they already are with their $$ treatment).


So BYU wasn't worth enough to even be treated like a red-headed step-child? Why did they choose Utah over BYU. My guess is reasons other than religion. Would BYU go independent if Utah had not been invited?


Just keep talking out of your ass there, Donkey-state, it makes you look real smart.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.