Archived Topic

Who Leaves the MWC Next?

by Italics · 9/1/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
TCU to C-USA?

Air Force independent?

BSU, FSU, UNR back to WAC?



The possibilities are endless...
W
Wickchad
How about Air Force independent with their TV deal provided by BYUTV.
C
CannonCougar85
If the MTN gets reworked for less money or folds completely we could see Boise, FSU, Nevada and who knows joining the WAC.
T
tripwire
I wouldn't be surprised at all if TCU leaves almost immediately for Conference USA. SMU is a traditional rival in the same city and Houston is in C-USA also. Geographically it makes a lot more sense for TCU than the MWC.

Air Force wouldn't surprise me if Air Force goes back to independence as well.

I think the rest will stay put.
J
jonnylingo
Tcu to big east.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Wickchad84087 wrote:
How about Air Force independent with their TV deal provided by BYUTV.

Didn't we use to be with them on the Blue and White Network back in the day? Didn't Blaine Fowler and Craig Bolerjack call games on that station?
T
tripwire
kitic77 wrote:
How about Air Force independent with their TV deal provided by BYUTV.

Didn't we use to be with them on the Blue and White Network back in the day? Didn't Blaine Fowler and Craig Bolerjack call games on that station?

I believe you are correct.
C
crazycougar84601
CannonCougar85 wrote:
If the MTN gets reworked for less money or folds completely we could see Boise, FSU, Nevada and who knows joining the WAC.


I bet MWC kills the mtn...then goes to ESPN with tails between the legs, playing on Tuesdays & wednesdays!
Y
Ygridiron4ever
Did BYU get new TV studios? Anybody know where I can find pictures of the BYUtv facilities? I am really excited about Independence and can't wait to start bragging about all we have.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CannonCougar85
What is the appeal of the MWC now? The MTN is dead or at least the payout is less. Limited TV exposure. The team that sells out all the stadiums is gone. AQ status is dead. What is the appeal now?



Looking at it as if I were a MWC fan I do not see any silver lining in this.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
TCU. Their egos are getting big. They're remodeling their stadium, spending millions to do it, and the two best teams in their conference including their self-proclaimed "rival" are now gone. All the momentum they've built up just got blown away. They'll be looking to fill the void and quick.
S
scott715
What if the Mtn dies and ESPN picks up the contract on the cheap. Will they quit working with us or make us rejoin the MWC?
C
CannonCougar85
scott715 wrote:
What if the Mtn dies and ESPN picks up the contract on the cheap. Will they quit working with us or make us rejoin the MWC?


I would think that ESPN would want to keep both BYU Indy and the MWC.



Wyoming vs UNLV on Wednesday



BYU vs Clemson on Thursday
B
BTIB
crazycougar84601 wrote:
If the MTN gets reworked for less money or folds completely we could see Boise, FSU, Nevada and who knows joining the WAC.


I bet MWC kills the mtn...then goes to ESPN with tails between the legs, playing on Tuesdays & wednesdays!


And you think ESPN is going to put you in prime time just because you're BYU??? Good Luck!!!
C
CannonCougar85
BTIB wrote:

And you think ESPN is going to put you in prime time just because you're BYU??? Good Luck!!!


And through all of this Independence talk and who was involved you still don't believe ESPN wants BYU?



I believe it is a combination of BYU and the opponent. If it is BYU vs Utah State then no it won't be a prime time game. If it is BYU vs Clemson or Texas Tech or Oklahoma State then yes that will be a prime time game.
Advertisement
B
BTIB
CannonCougar85 wrote:

And you think ESPN is going to put you in prime time just because you're BYU??? Good Luck!!!


And through all of this Independence talk and who was involved you still don't believe ESPN wants BYU?



I believe it is a combination of BYU and the opponent. If it is BYU vs Utah State then no it won't be a prime time game. If it is BYU vs Clemson or Texas Tech or Oklahoma State then yes that will be a prime time game.


I do think espn wants BYU. They want anybody for the right price. You liked the MTN because you didn't have to play week night games but now all of a sudden it's ok? I for one have no problem with week night games. Exposure is the key. You actually have a better chance at being seen on the weeknight when your the only show on.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CannonCougar85
BTIB wrote:

I do think espn wants BYU. They want anybody for the right price. You liked the MTN because you didn't have to play week night games but now all of a sudden it's ok? I for one have no problem with week night games. Exposure is the key. You actually have a better chance at being seen on the weeknight when your the only show on.


The MWC started the MTN because they felt the money ESPN offered was unreasonable. Thats the only reason. Saying that the MWC no longer had to play week night games was just Craig Thompson trying to sell the MTN. It was not a driving force behind it's formation.



I agree with you though, I personally do like the Thursday/Friday night games and I think it does add exposure because like you said it's the only thing on. I expect an Indy BYU to be on Thursday nights a lot and I think they will be perfectly happy with that.
C
Cougy_Monster
BTIB wrote:


And you think ESPN is going to put you in prime time just because you're BYU??? Good Luck!!!


Did you just start watching college football? Prior to the mtn BYU was on prime time ESPN several times a year. Do your homework.



ESPN chose BYU for the first ever live college football broadcast in 1984.





BYU and ESPN will be a perfect partnership for both parties.
S
SenorCougar
I really can't see Boise State staying put in this mess, with very limited TV exposure (MTN) and no other team to bring exposure to the conference (with the possible exception of TCU). Why would Fresno and Nevada pay $5 million for this? Hair flexed his muscle for 2 weeks and now lost big time (just like his worthless TV contract...)
B
BTIB
Cougy_Monster wrote:


And you think ESPN is going to put you in prime time just because you're BYU??? Good Luck!!!


Did you just start watching college football? Prior to the mtn BYU was on prime time ESPN several times a year. Do your homework.



ESPN chose BYU for the first ever live college football broadcast in 1984.





BYU and ESPN will be a perfect partnership for both parties.


Sure... everybody gets along perfectly with the mother ship?! I think several is a little bit of an exaggeration. ESPN won't be your NBC like ND as you seem to think it will. I'll admit as a BSU fan I am extremely worried about the MTN deal. Just remember it all comes down to winning. If you start losing your espn games all of a sudden you'll find yourselves on Tuesday and Wednesday nights!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.