Archived Topic

Big "IF"...

by Mars · 8/31/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


IF BYU never trails in the Washington game...



Should Jake Heaps be sent in by coaches to play, or should he preserve his potential blueshirt year for a potential later game in which BYU may (or may not) need him?
M
MTM
IMO, If Nelson plays well I don't see how or why you'd pull him.
C
cougarsunited
Anybody think there is a valid possibility that if Jake will be red-shirted that he is going to jump ship?
S
snoscythe
I voted "no" because I am still a big proponent of redshirting Heaps. That said, I think we see Heaps in the first series or two. I think Anae will have the first series scripted and that they will get Heaps on the field early to kill the speculation as to whether he should be redshirted or not.
C
ctcoug
I think it is best if Heaps gets some real live snaps to prepare him for his sophomore year. If he can get some good game experience this year, but Nelson proves to be the better option, we can always redshirt Heaps next year.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
MTM wrote:
IMO, If Nelson plays well I don't see how or why you'd pull him.


I agree. If one is getting it done, then why take him out. That is just stupid. That is what is so stupid about a two qb system.



I agree with sno, jake will get reps in that game. bronco really is planning on a two qb system. he wants to see how each does. like i said, this is a glorified scrimmage. We are still working things out that ideally would have already been resolved. that is just they way it is though.
L
Lawboy
Hell yes he should play. I want to see what he can do in a live game situation. Plus, the kid can play the first 2 games and still have a redshirt slapped on him. 2 games for the coaches to evaluate both guys and for 1 guy to win it. You do not give up that game situation to let a kid learn, even if you do redshirt him.



And if BYU gets ahead and stays ahead in the UW game, I'd be willing to bet part of the reason is because Jake plays well.
F
frdbtr
cougarsunited wrote:
Anybody think there is a valid possibility that if Jake will be red-shirted that he is going to jump ship?



It would only happen if heaps is a spoiled vindictive brat. Lets do the math, if he redshirts and Riley starts the next 2 years, he starts as a redshirt Sophomore. If he transfers and sits out a year at his new institution, he starts as a redshirt sophomore.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
the kid can play the first 2 games and still have a redshirt slapped on him.


Not true. That is only for a medical redshirt. Unless you have a season ending injury, one-snap = one year of eligibility.
M
MTM
frdbtr wrote:
Anybody think there is a valid possibility that if Jake will be red-shirted that he is going to jump ship?



It would only happen if heaps is a spoiled vindictive brat. .


:lol:



I was going to say something along those lines. If a guy sulks and transfers because he didn't get the starting job is that someone you'd want on your team anyway?



I don't think he redshirts. He plays against Washington would be my guess.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
snoscythe wrote:
the kid can play the first 2 games and still have a redshirt slapped on him.


Not true. That is only for a medical redshirt. Unless you have a season ending injury, one-snap = one year of eligibility.


break his knee caps!

or maybe his pinky finger on his non-throwing hand!
L
Lawboy
My cousin is the team doctor, we can arrange it.... :)
F
frdbtr
MTM wrote:
cougarsunited wrote:
Anybody think there is a valid possibility that if Jake will be red-shirted that he is going to jump ship?



It would only happen if heaps is a spoiled vindictive brat. .


:lol:



I was going to say something along those lines. If a guy sulks and transfers because he didn't get the starting job is that someone you'd want on your team anyway?



I don't think he redshirts. He plays against Washington would be my guess.


My hope is that Riley wins the starting job this year, we redshirt Heaps next year and we get Heaps for 3 years after that. Frankly though, I think Heaps wins the full time starting job later this year.
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
the kid can play the first 2 games and still have a redshirt slapped on him.


Not true. That is only for a medical redshirt. Unless you have a season ending injury, one-snap = one year of eligibility.

Not only that, but I believe you can only apply for a medical redshirt, after you have used a previous redshirt and used up all of your eligibility.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.