Archived Topic

Craigo will LOVE this idea!

by Mars · 8/30/2010

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
The WCC is 4-5 notches below the MWC in hoops; that tweet makes no sense. The only reason BYU would ever need the WCC is if we completely leave the MWC.



Eric Reveno knows that BYU brings in bigtime hoops attention to the WCC; he is the coach of Portland, who happens to have a pretty up and coming program. He's just trying to sell us on WCC hoops, but the RPIs say differently. The WCC still doesnt' help us bring big time competition to the Marriot Center. We lose the RPI battle by joining the WCC.



Thanks but no thanks.



I like the fact that he's tweeting that, it sounds like the WCC is getting desperate and the some believe BYU is staying put in the MWC. As I've said all along, if BYU gets the broadcasting freedom they want, then I hope they stay put.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
The WCC is 4-5 notches below the MWC in hoops; that tweet makes no sense. The only reason BYU would ever need the WCC is if we completely leave the MWC.

I know the WCC's RPI is worse than the MWC's but I don't remember it being that much worse.



I wonder what the WCC's RPI with BYU would have been last year, and the MWC's without BYU and Utah (and with Boise State and Fresno State).
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
The WCC is 4-5 notches below the MWC in hoops; that tweet makes no sense. The only reason BYU would ever need the WCC is if we completely leave the MWC.

I know the WCC's RPI is worse than the MWC's but I don't remember it being that much worse.



I wonder what the WCC's RPI with BYU would have been last year, and the MWC's without BYU and Utah (and with Boise State and Fresno State).


How's that for "it being that much worse" - I undersold how many notches the WCC was below the mountain west.



(one of these days mars you need to actually watch a basketball game) ;)





http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



1 Big 12 0.5860 0.5770 2 12

2 Big East 0.5802 0.5786 1 16

3 Atlantic Coast 0.5751 0.5599 4 12

4 Southeastern 0.5601 0.5604 3 12

5 Big Ten 0.5507 0.5509 5 11

6 Mountain West 0.5421 0.5398 8 9

7 Atlantic 10 0.5417 0.5412 7 14

8 Pacific-10 0.5384 0.5446 6 10

9 Missouri Valley 0.5367 0.5281 9 10

10 Western Athletic 0.5233 0.5198 10 9



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



11 Conference USA 0.5170 0.5186 11 12

12 Colonial Athletic 0.5075 0.5106 12 12

13 West Coast 0.5066 0.5104 13 8

14 Horizon League 0.5061 0.5062 14 10

15 Metro Atlantic Athletic 0.5025 0.4959 16 10

16 Mid-American 0.4985 0.5013 15 12

17 Southern 0.4815 0.4857 17 12

18 Big Sky 0.4776 0.4780 19 9

19 Big West 0.4763 0.4749 20 9

20 Ohio Valley 0.4747 0.4790 18 10
C
CougarClaw
Is this the MWC with Reno and Fresno?
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
CougarClaw wrote:
Is this the MWC with Reno and Fresno?


No, Reno and Fresno would have essentially cancelled each other out. Reno had a 70 Rpi and Fresno was 121.



Both would have improved the WCCs RPI, 76 and 121 would have easily been essentially 3rd and 4th in the WCC last year.



If you think the bottom in the MWC is bad, just look at the WCC. It's appallingly bad.
G
Gunk
craigoscarson wrote:
Is this the MWC with Reno and Fresno?


No, Reno and Fresno would have essentially cancelled each other out. Reno had a 70 Rpi and Fresno was 121.



Both would have improved the WCCs RPI, 76 and 121 would have easily been essentially 3rd and 4th in the WCC last year.



If you think the bottom in the MWC is bad, just look at the WCC. It's appallingly bad.


Hmmm...so basically you're saying we can look forward to several 30+ win seasons in the near future?
C
craigoscarson
Gunk wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
Is this the MWC with Reno and Fresno?


No, Reno and Fresno would have essentially cancelled each other out. Reno had a 70 Rpi and Fresno was 121.



Both would have improved the WCCs RPI, 76 and 121 would have easily been essentially 3rd and 4th in the WCC last year.



If you think the bottom in the MWC is bad, just look at the WCC. It's appallingly bad.


Hmmm...so basically you're saying we can look forward to several 30+ win seasons in the near future?


Yes, it might take 30 to guarantee a decent seed in the NCAAs.



There are some plusses to the WCC and independence.



ESPN is supposedly going to broker ooc matchups for us. (supposedly)



ESPN will provide exposure for us



While the WCC is a much worse basketball conference than the MWC, the perception is that it isn't. That perception might help us with recruiting. I guess we'll see with dermarcus harrison and brett kingman.



We dont' play in the UNLV postseason invitational anymore.



This is all being done for easier and quicker admission to the Big 12. That is the pot at the end of the rainbow for BYU hoops. In fact I may never leave Kansas City when and if BYU gets admission to the Big 12.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
The WCC is 4-5 notches below the MWC in hoops; that tweet makes no sense. The only reason BYU would ever need the WCC is if we completely leave the MWC.
I know the WCC's RPI is worse than the MWC's but I don't remember it being that much worse. I wonder what the WCC's RPI with BYU would have been last year, and the MWC's without BYU and Utah (and with Boise State and Fresno State).
How's that for "it being that much worse" - I undersold how many notches the WCC was below the mountain west. (one of these days mars you need to actually watch a basketball game)

Once again the jackass with the big mouth and little brain interjects pointlessly! No worry, I'm here to answer my own question:



"minus BYU/Utah, MWC conf RPI goes from season-ending 6th to 10th; w/ BYU, WCC conf RPI goes from 13th to 11th"

http://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/22705920859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



WCC 11th RPI, MWC 10th RPI. Not "that much worse".



Blather on now. :roll:
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
Mars wrote:
The WCC is 4-5 notches below the MWC in hoops; that tweet makes no sense. The only reason BYU would ever need the WCC is if we completely leave the MWC.
I know the WCC's RPI is worse than the MWC's but I don't remember it being that much worse. I wonder what the WCC's RPI with BYU would have been last year, and the MWC's without BYU and Utah (and with Boise State and Fresno State).
How's that for "it being that much worse" - I undersold how many notches the WCC was below the mountain west. (one of these days mars you need to actually watch a basketball game)

Once again the jackass with the big mouth and little brain interjects pointlessly! No worry, I'm here to answer my own question:



"minus BYU/Utah, MWC conf RPI goes from season-ending 6th to 10th; w/ BYU, WCC conf RPI goes from 13th to 11th"

http://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/22705920859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



WCC 11th RPI, MWC 10th RPI. Not "that much worse".



Blather on now. :roll:


That's all fine and good Mars, but if BYU had stayed in the MWC, what would it have been? I don't see how their new ranking sans BYU is relevant. You either need to compare both conferences with BYU, or both conferences without BYU. Otherwise, you're just clouding the issue. Not saying you're wrong, just saying this comparison you've provided doesn't help me much.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
Mars wrote:
The WCC is 4-5 notches below the MWC in hoops; that tweet makes no sense. The only reason BYU would ever need the WCC is if we completely leave the MWC.
I know the WCC's RPI is worse than the MWC's but I don't remember it being that much worse. I wonder what the WCC's RPI with BYU would have been last year, and the MWC's without BYU and Utah (and with Boise State and Fresno State).
How's that for "it being that much worse" - I undersold how many notches the WCC was below the mountain west. (one of these days mars you need to actually watch a basketball game)

Once again the jackass with the big mouth and little brain interjects pointlessly! No worry, I'm here to answer my own question:



"minus BYU/Utah, MWC conf RPI goes from season-ending 6th to 10th; w/ BYU, WCC conf RPI goes from 13th to 11th"

http://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/22705920859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



WCC 11th RPI, MWC 10th RPI. Not "that much worse".



Blather on now. :roll:


stay off the milk... the WCC had 2 teams in the top 100 of the RPI last year. Compare that to the MWC; it's a wide gap. It's even wider if you watch college basketball and see the San Diegos of the world actualy play.



BYU actually improved in RPI once their regular season got going. This will not happen in the WCC; they now have to schedule a good non-con. Given the difficulty of scheduling teams to come to the marriott center, I don't think we'll have an easy go of it with the RPI unless ESPN can broker ooc games at our house.



Like I've said a million times before, there's more to the numbers than meets the eye. The WCC is not a good hoops conference, but one we're in now so we need to focus on the positives and pray that ESPN can help with the scheduling headaches to get a decent level of competition to come to us.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
the WCC had 2 teams in the top 100 of the RPI last year. Compare that to the MWC; it's a wide gap. It's even wider if you watch college basketball and see the San Diegos of the world actualy play.

San Diego? Oh, you mean that team that usually beats SDSU.



You would have noticed that if you ever watched college basketball. ;)
S
scott715
We can still schedule NM,UNLV and SDSU to help our OOC.
I
IowaCougar
Craigo had a point on ESPN help for scheduling ooc games at BYU. ESPN exposure may help convince teams to come that may have balked otherwise. Maybe getting out of the mtn will actually help in this regard.
M
Mars
IowaCougar wrote:
Craigo had a point on ESPN help for scheduling ooc games at BYU. ESPN exposure may help convince teams to come that may have balked otherwise. Maybe getting out of the mtn will actually help in this regard.

He stole that point from me. :D
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Mars wrote:
the WCC had 2 teams in the top 100 of the RPI last year. Compare that to the MWC; it's a wide gap. It's even wider if you watch college basketball and see the San Diegos of the world actualy play.

San Diego? Oh, you mean that team that usually beats SDSU.



You would have noticed that if you ever watched college basketball. ;)


USUALLY BEATS SDSU?



Try again



SDSU hasnt' lost to USD in 5 years and is 8-2 in those games the last 10 years. In neither of those 2 years did SDSU have a quality tournament team. There's no usually about it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.